Cleaning the sleeve of a spindle sander (my way)

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

After the preliminary sanding of all the frames with the spindle sander I want to show you today the necessary cleaning of the sanding drum

After sanding the frames the drum looks usually like this.
The problem is, that the abrasive quality is getting less and less, so some cleaning is necessary.
Cleaning is prolonging the lifetime of the sanding sleeves.

Available are abrasive cleaners, which I regularly use. You can see on the photo the use of such a cleaner during turning the spindle

This is the drum after using the cleaner.
the saw dust is gone, but still there are areas where rest of the wood-glue are picking on the sandpaper

These rests of glue have to be removed. For this I am using a grill cleaning brush with steel bristles

This is the final result of cleaning the sleeve.....ready for the next sanding

Hi Uwe,

Does the cleaning process remove the “grit” of the sanding drum and lessen it’s effect?

Good question......I have to say that it is to 95 % not reducing the grit.
The abrasive cleaner definitely not, and the steel brush I use with switched off sander.
The using of the steel brush II do only to get rid off the glue rests on the sleeve! Not in general!
The sleeve installed on the drum shown on the photo represent the status after sanding appr. 40 frames and is still working, not like new, but it is working ok.

The main problem are the sticker rest of glue.....with them on the surface no real good sanding is possible, due to the fact, that the wood is sliding over it, without any grit at this area.

Back