Constructo Prince de Neufchâtel - My first POB ship

Dicas

You never see the small things what you see on pictures with the normal eye. There is a new telephone waiting for me under the christmas tree with much more pixels then i have now so..... great work! Keep it up!

Yes. It is an imperfect world, isn't it? Best of lucks with your phone and don´t be much scared when you'll see small things in high resolution. It can be frightening! :cool:
Thanks for the incentive.

JL

Last edited:

Dicas

Hallelujah! Great excitement!!! :D:D:D:D

Port side is finaly completely planked.

DSC09564.JPG DSC09565.JPG DSC09567.JPG

DSC09568.JPG DSC09566.JPG

It is supposed to be a double plank ship, but the wood is the same for both plankings and I am pleased with thr first plankig so I think it will remain with this planking only.

It has yet to be sanded and probably treenailed.

Learned a lot from this building the starboard side is already on its way and it is much easier (and better) than the other side.

I'd better learn something because one of these days I'll have to plank Nuestra Señora del Pilar and that is a different matter.

Regards

JL

Dicas

Well, I kind of ressurrected this build, not only because the hull was in an advanced state of building but also because I needed some training planking because I have a much larger ship to plank and better train in a guinea pig. So I took this model again and decided to finish it.

I started planking the starboard side and I discovered that it had become much easier, in these 8 moths since the last post I gained some expertise, a lot of practise and as the principal factor, I lost the fear of working hard wood, I began to learn from my mistakes and discovered that errors are repairable and even disasters can be amended.

Some lessons I learned from this kit so far:
--- It was a very good idea to fill between the bulkheads with the blue foam. Not only it gives an immediate idea of the form of the hull, very helpful especially in those more critical areas, bow and stern, but also you have a much larger surface to glue the planks to, and prevents the concave aspect you sometimes get between the bulkheads especially near the more curved zones, bow and stern. I intend to do the same to my other buildings (well, Niña already has the hull filled and I am very happy with it too).
--- Not a good idea to apply glue to the top of the planks to glue each one to the immediatelly above. This is because for some uinknown reason, PVA (at least the rapid one that I used mostly) leaves a white line between the planks. I know it was supposed to dry colorless, but it doesn't. And even sanding the white line remains. I hope it disappears when I apply somme finish to the hull (oil?).
--- I had the idea of adding a plank to the botttom of the false keel and to the bow, the same width of the keel. I am happy with the result because after planking I could remove the plank with a chisel and a file and I was left with a groove on witch the real keel enters easily.

The boat is meant to be single planked. As I wrote before, Constructo supplies some 0,6mm sapelly but nowhere is mentioned that is is intended to be for a second plankig, neither does it make any sense to have the first and the second planking in the same wood. Knowing what I know now I'd rather have made it two planking and this is because I don't like sapelly. A first planking of a softer wood like lime or koto would have been much easier to apply and the second planking could have been of a better wood like pear, or even the 0.6 mm sapelly. It would have make the planking much easier, but I'd not have learned as much as I did :cool: :cool: .

I don't like sapelly, not a bit. It has much too mach grain for a scale effect. For me it is a kind of a bad quality, cheaper mahogany. But it was what the kit supplied, so as I had no alternative at the time I started the kit, sapelly it is.

Now for some photos:

almost there:

DSC09874.JPG

the plank removed on the false keel, leaves the space for the keel, stem and forefoot.

DSC09876.JPG

Done

DSC09882.JPG

DSC09883.JPG

Now, sanding and more sanding to give a decent finish to the hull, and then go on with this building while the others are taking a rest

Best regards

JL

Dicas

Hull properly sanded, it is begining to gain its appendices. Stem and sternpost very soon to be followed by the keel.

By the way, I discovered that these small plastic cable ties are ideal to retain difficult pieces in place while the glue sets.

And with a pin you can make them reusable too.

DSC09904.JPG

DSC09905.JPG

DSC09906.JPG

Regards

JL

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Hull properly sanded, it is begining to gain its appendices. Stem and sternpost very soon to be followed by the keel.

By the way, I discovered that these small plastic cable ties are ideal to retain difficult pieces in place while the glue sets.

And with a pin you can make them reusable too.

View attachment 112792

View attachment 112793

View attachment 112794

Regards

JL
Never saw the use of these plastic cable ties in ship modeling before, but it is a very good idea - Many Thanks for the hint