Cooperation in the construction of models of sail ships.

Ik hope you are not offended by this question but i am from Holland and there we talk easy about money. How much do you charge for a ship like the big Grey one? And is that including all materials and the use of machine because they wear off by use.

I added this topic in the hope of finding either a customer or an intermediary who will help find a customer. Therefore, the issue of pricing is a natural and important issue. I do not sell the results of my craft experiments. I work for a customer. For the fee. For me, the question of the cost of work is divided into two parts. The first part is what I understand about it. And the second part is what the customer understands.

When I talk about the first part, I have to take into account the resources I spend on organizing the project. And this calculation is no different from the calculation of the most ordinary enterprise. Small but enterprise. This part also includes my understanding of what quality a product I am making against the background of what other masters can offer. Including with the understanding of what significant differences in craft approaches exist in different countries. This craft is not as common as other forms of decorative art, but it has its own national schools. They have different approaches to what they do.

The second part includes factors that are related to the quality of the customer. I have an idea of what is needed for the appearance of a good model. And a very important condition for this result is the presence of a very complex customer. Difficult in terms of "ambition". Let's call it that. Complex wishes require complex project organization. It is interesting. For both sides.

I told you about the principles of pricing. The specific price appears when it becomes obvious to me what they want from me.

I can give an example of my negotiations with a possible customer from La Coruna. He wanted to order for himself a model of the French corvette, which sank off the coast of this city. He saw my work, we discussed with him the reconstruction of this ship (there are no drawings of this corvette in the archives). Then he demonstrated his foundations, from which he builds an understanding of the value of this work. He himself once collected kits. And this circumstance could not allow him to adequately see what really stands behind my work. He evaluated himself. And its ceiling in this assessment is 2500 euros.

The model of the frigate should be on the table for at least 18 months. To get a decent result. If the materials for this work are already there - drawings, descriptions. It's minimum. The amount for the maintenance of the workshop during the period of work - 1100-1200 euros per month. If the customer wants to make a breakthrough in the craft with the master - it will increase costs.

Ik mean the la belle from the picture on the first page its grey and big. What should the total cost Be. You wrote that it took 20 months to build. So all together materials. Labour cost. Machines in workshop. Etc.

Ik mean the la belle from the picture on the first page its grey and big. What should the total cost Be. You wrote that it took 20 months to build. So all together materials. Labour cost. Machines in workshop. Etc.
20,000-21,000 euros. This is very different from the price of this model in the performance of Bernard Frolish. http://modelisme.arsenal.free.fr/artdumodelisme/La Belle Poule/indexgb.html He has a calculation of working hours. It does not coincide with the years. But there is something real about it. If I remember correctly, on his website opposite this model was the amount of 35,000 euros. Everything I wrote in response to your question complements the understanding of this amount.

dsc_0402.jpgdsc_0409.jpgdsc_0461.jpg

Unbelievably beautiful work! If I was younger, I would be asking what it would take, if it was possible, to receive a apprenticeship :)
Should we meet in the next life or my life situation changes very dramatically, I will commission a piece. In the meantime I must satisfy myself knowing that craftsmanship like this still exists! Thank you for sharing with us!

Ron

Tnx for Your answers. You have great skills. WorKing on my third kit now but i am afraid in need 20 more and then i hope i have half the results of your builds. Hope can make ships from scratch with good quality one day.

[QUOTE = "ron0909, post: 49687, member: 5367»] Невероятно красивая работа! Если бы я был моложе, я бы спросил, что потребуется, если это возможно, чтобы получить ученичество :)
Если мы встретимся в следующей жизни или моя жизненная ситуация очень сильно изменится, я передам кусок. А пока я должен убедиться, что такое мастерство все еще существует! Спасибо, что поделились с нами!

Рон [/ QUOTE] Ron, you have no idea how close you are to the truth. The hypothesis of reincarnation is very close to me. Regarding the development of skills. I studied on the forums. Just watched and read, worked on models. 25 years in the studio and you will like your result.

Back