Corel Vasa - a problem and a fix - I think

Hi Mates,
This needed to be done – so taking a slight break from my current build Santisima cross-section to revisit the Vasa (no build log) for a needed
new Lantern. The one that I had installed is totally inappropriate for a ship such as that- much too basic looking. AND much too high as well.

Note – that the stern lantern has never been recovered – so it’s really a sort of guessing game as to how it might have actually looked.

I got a new (third one – 4th counting Corel’s) more appropriate example so finally doing some preliminary work.
I had, to first decide whether or not to gut the interior in order to add a single center candle (a detail that I wanted to feature) – well that was not an option – skill set not there.
Could have just added the plastic windows and be done. Windows came from another source after some cutting and trimming – they look just fine.
(YES very incorrectly) added candles to each of the six panels. Here are some beginning photos of the work, so far.

Thanks for your visit.

1.jpeg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpeg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

Nigel,

As always, over the years thanks, so much for your sage advice. Yes I had thought of that, but "ignored it" - needs to be addressed. Two possibilities
1) yours - super simple and makes sense as well
2) Might fashion some hoods - this is a rough prototype - may also want to "beak" the front tops facing outwards.

Well this will be all for next year hahaha - Enjoy your end of year as well
Cheers,

IMG_1035.jpgIMG_1036.jpg

So at last I finished up the re-install for that lantern that has been sitting around for a while. Here are a few images.

That Taffrail is really "sad" I was tempted to pull it off before re- installing the new lantern - but - "done here".

Need to finish my Trinidad current build - and then much looking forward to the Viking ship under my table.

That one will be something totally new for me to learn about. Will also keep areas unpanelled and open to show some hull and interior sub deck construction details the vikings used. Attempt to anyway -----

regards,

0.jpg1.jpg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpg8.jpg

Hi Mates,
This needed to be done – so taking a slight break from my current build Santisima cross-section to revisit the Vasa (no build log) for a needed
new Lantern. The one that I had installed is totally inappropriate for a ship such as that- much too basic looking. AND much too high as well.

Note – that the stern lantern has never been recovered – so it’s really a sort of guessing game as to how it might have actually looked.

I got a new (third one – 4th counting Corel’s) more appropriate example so finally doing some preliminary work.
I had, to first decide whether or not to gut the interior in order to add a single center candle (a detail that I wanted to feature) – well that was not an option – skill set not there.
Could have just added the plastic windows and be done. Windows came from another source after some cutting and trimming – they look just fine.
(YES very incorrectly) added candles to each of the six panels. Here are some beginning photos of the work, so far.

Thanks for your visit.

View attachment 125487View attachment 125488View attachment 125489View attachment 125490View attachment 125491View attachment 125492View attachment 125493View attachment 125494View attachment 125495View attachment 125496View attachment 125497View attachment 125498
where did you get the lamp kit?

It was so long ago - It's one like this "I think?" I don't remember which size however.
Note I blended the Vasa lantern from two different examples then did a lot of additional scratch detailing...

Last edited:
Hi Mates,

Thanks for your visit.

View attachment 125487View attachment 125488View attachment 125489View attachment 125490View attachment 125491View attachment 125492View attachment 125493View attachment 125494View attachment 125495View attachment 125496View attachment 125497View attachment 125498
From what company did you purchase this lantern? I will need one (or more) when it comes time to install lanterns on my Corel kit.

Back