Corel Vasa - bashed

Hello,
Here are some shots of my completed Corel Vasa. Please note that all ropes, blocks, deadeyes, and cannons are after-market. Much of the wood is also aftermarket supplied. For the rigging both standing and running used the Billings, Mantua, and the museum’s sheets along with photos of the 1/10th as guides, not the Corel’s instructions. Though rigging for this ship is still undetermined...Most importantly I studied the 1000s of available photos of the 1/1 and the 1/10th at the museum. Regarding the case – wanted to do a minimalist look to it, as well as replicating a deck look along with treenails.

Thanks for looking, much appreciated
1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg10b.jpg10c.jpg10d.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg21.jpg23.jpg24.jpg

Last edited:
This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing. I am new to the hobby so not familiar with terms used in the hobby. I was not quite sure what means "aftermarket" items. Does it mean you replaced a few items from kit to something different?

Outstanding Build This is one of my favorite ships. I cant convince the Chief Financial Advisor to let me buy one though. I guess I'm gonna have to get it on the Down low and hide it in the shop till I can start building it lol

Hello……
Thanks for your kind words.

Y.T: Regarding after-market parts, as in most hobbies there are companies that specialize in providing excellent alternatives to some kit included “lower quality fittings”. Generally speaking some kit provided parts principally ropes (they call them threads) and blocks tend to be not very realistic and not closely representative of actual ship fittings.

Gilded metal parts are the exception. High-end ship kits that have much gilded metal bits – are indeed well reproduced by kit manufacturers. Though some builders will also re-work the fittings then gold leaf them.

Kit manufacturers generally provide – for all of their kits – the same generic “parts bin” stock parts (threads, blocks, deadeyes, guns) thereby reducing their manufacturing costs. So occasionally builders may want to add more detail to their builds by purchasing certain after-market fittings.

Ropes are, IMO, the most visibly important improvement that can be purchased as an alternative to kit provided threads.

Guns, and carriages are also another item that can possibly add to a ship’s detailing. These additions including adding various timbers such as oak, rosewood, cedar, pear and other great hardwoods, however, can add up to quite an additional expense.

Below are examples of “after-market” fittings that can be added to a build. First pic is of very typical kit provided blocks. After market examples follow.

Regards,
model-ship-fittings-parts-pieces_1_4e1d2426d063ee3d4ff52162a2fae701.jpgscale rigging blocks.jpginternalstrappedblocksphoto.jpgrope.jpggun.jpgemblems.jpg

Epicdoom: Funny – I know how you feel, in fact I would assume that most of our Admirals have no idea how much some of us actually spend at this hobby (well prob. NOT as much as HO model railroad hobbyists haha)

BTW- re, The Vasa, a new kit, has reached the market (you prob new already) and is available to purchase in monthly allotments. This is a NEW kit and has been designed with Fred Hocker from the Vasa Museum. It looks to be the best out there in terms of accuracy. The Corel is the least accurate of the three that have been available for years.

https://www.model-space.com/us/buil...MI5IrQoKiG3gIVyGSGCh0xcQuyEAMYAiAAEgIR6fD_BwE

Cheers,

Micheal So true One of my buddies always says dude before you die you need to write up a price list for all your guns so your wife knows what you actually paid that way she can get the true value from them lol Its all good I have a class III weapons permit so I started a revocable living trust because I don't want the government taking any of my weapons and NFA items the trust is in my Grandsons name so everything will go to him in the event I die. unfortunately that also means the Government knows exactly every weapon I own. I am a firearms collector and at present I have 74 firearms many antiques and modern arms. Its terrible we have to hide what we spend from the Admiral, but I suspect we have done so for many generations lol

Zoltan,
Ah yes – scratch building that is, for me “the Dark Side” of this great hobby. My skill set will never get there – same goes for those who also do their own sculptures; amazing artists whom I revere and of course envy haha.

I can pretty much bash a kit, but I could never imagine starting with a first plank and from there building an entire ship. Kudos to you indeed.

As you know there are super famous artists who happen to be Russian, Alexandru Gurau quickly comes to mind his, literally plank-by-plank HMS Victory along with several other superb builds are stunning.

Hat’s off to those of you who build challenging scratch built ships. Bellow is an example of his HMS Victory work.

Regards,

IMG_8123.jpg

Although I am scratch building Hms Ontario I will buy the blocks,deadeyes,ropes and cannons from third party suppliers
I will be buying them for the Black pearl, but I'll be making them myself completely for the scratch build of the Constellation. I'm collecting Maple and Walnut for that right now. I am trying to decide if I want to make the Pulley rollers from brass turned on the lathe or just make them from wood also turned on the lathe I could also make them from Black delrin rod. Lots of decisions to be made, but what ever I do it will look like the real thing I'm not willing to compromise on it even alittle bit.

Zoltan,
Ah yes – scratch building that is, for me “the Dark Side” of this great hobby. My skill set will never get there – same goes for those who also do their own sculptures; amazing artists whom I revere and of course envy haha.

I can pretty much bash a kit, but I could never imagine starting with a first plank and from there building an entire ship. Kudos to you indeed.

As you know there are super famous artists who happen to be Russian, Alexandru Gurau quickly comes to mind his, literally plank-by-plank HMS Victory along with several other superb builds are stunning.

Hat’s off to those of you who build challenging scratch built ships. Bellow is an example of his HMS Victory work.

Regards,

View attachment 58143

Actually Alexandru is Romanian and lives in Montreal or Quebec in Canada,he is a very talented builder

http://www.alexshipmodels.com/category/hms-victory/

Hello md1400cs! I just stumbled on your Corel Wasa build log. Absolutely fantastic Corel bash! Thumbsup You really crammed a lot of detail into a 1:100 scale Wasa. Like yourself, bashing a kit seems the easiest way to get a detailed model without lots of design work. My first ship, Corel's La Couronne, and my current build. DeAgostini's HMS Sovereign of the Seas are both on this forum. Both are heavily bashed.

First time in months that I have had a forwarded email notification from SoScale (and Was following several builds here) Thanks for your kind comments - glad that you dropped by. I did subsequently change the stern lantern to one that is more appropriate.

IMG_0978 copy.jpg6 copy.jpg

I have been dormant as a builder for these last three months on my current project hmmm! ---
but I did also heavily bash a Santisima de Trinidad cross section - also adding LED lanterns throughout - a log of which is here at SoS.

Regards,

First time in months that I have had a forwarded email notification from SoScale (and Was following several builds here) Thanks for your kind comments - glad that you dropped by. I did subsequently change the stern lantern to one that is more appropriate.

View attachment 314959View attachment 314960

I have been dormant as a builder for these last three months on my current project hmmm! ---
but I did also heavily bash a Santisima de Trinidad cross section - also adding LED lanterns throughout - a log of which is here at SoS.

Regards,
Who was this message meant for, Oldflyer? I'm confused. Is that picture YOUR Wasa or md1400cs's?

Hello,
Here are some shots of my completed Corel Vasa. Please note that all ropes, blocks, deadeyes, and cannons are after-market. Much of the wood is also aftermarket supplied. For the rigging both standing and running used the Billings, Mantua, and the museum’s sheets along with photos of the 1/10th as guides, not the Corel’s instructions. Though rigging for this ship is still undetermined...Most importantly I studied the 1000s of available photos of the 1/1 and the 1/10th at the museum. Regarding the case – wanted to do a minimalist look to it, as well as replicating a deck look along with treenails.

Thanks for looking, much appreciated
View attachment 58046View attachment 58047View attachment 58048View attachment 58049View attachment 58050View attachment 58051View attachment 58052View attachment 58053View attachment 58054View attachment 58055View attachment 58056View attachment 58057View attachment 58058View attachment 58059View attachment 58060View attachment 58061View attachment 58062View attachment 58063View attachment 58064View attachment 58065View attachment 58066View attachment 58067View attachment 58068View attachment 58069View attachment 58070
Michael, amazing project and beautiful to look at. Great workmanship! Congrats!!! Magic Mike

Kurt, A bit confusing - sorry mate - John is my given middle name - sorta "complicated" story as to why two avatars here a SoS- as Paul mentioned, nom de plume -
Sometime back he reached out and we texted back and forth. He was a kind follower of my complete Corel Vasa log --- (His Vasa is superb!!) and deservedly one of the most followed here at SoScale.
Need to also consider re-activating my dormant Sergal SotSeas log here as well. (listed under old flyer) - in any case the "cat is now out of the bag"....

PS: Kurt you have, BTW, been SO helpful and insightful with your posts in my (dormant) Sovereign log - and as you know, I follow and so admire the work you are doing with yours!!

=================

PS:2 My son found an old image of his dad during his sim-training days in 10s - I had forgotten all about that image - funny.... hesitantly sharing a personal image -

Hence currently old flyer

michael-cockpit copy.png

Spent about 50+ hours in these along with B727s and DC 9's (those sims were one of the first that FAA approved for logging landings for in "type" ratings) - PS:3 did not like the DC9s - later MD80s which were thankfully redesigned (avionics, some fuselage tweaks and diff engines......) did not drive or type in those.

(screens not lit up in this 10 image - was taken before pre-start) haha such an antique (wrong term - their called "Classics") Interestingly enough Fed Ex (around 20 units) and the Air Force (as airborne refueling tankers 55+ units) - still operate these machines (though mostly upgraded to only two pilot crews) - and a few others have been converted to fire tankers. My brother who lives in Thousand Oaks CA has seen several of these given that So Cal has large yearly infernos. PS:4 that kind of flying is super dangerous for many reasons. Though 10s were built until the late 80s - MD11s 1990 forward...

10tankerDC10.jpeg

Cheers,

Yikes - off topic again

I'm just glad you're here, Mike. Paul filled me in via PM on your two accounts, and the causes thereof. MSW rules are harshly enforced, so one has to watch one's step over there. I NEVER mention or post on ANY model builds originating from China in order to play by their rules while in their house. The management there are Crusaders, but then again events they have suffered under piracy have made them VERY angry, so their views are understandable knowing what they've gone through, just extreme.

Last edited:
Back