Cross section of the Santisima Trinidad at 1:90 OcCre kit #16800

Forth deck the making and the rigging of the 8pd
According to my researches the 8pd of the forth deck where 1.9m or 20mm at 1:90 scale
So I have to build 2 for the section and 2obuse 24pd (those 2 will on another post.
I did buy from Model Shipway MS0661 20mm Photo 23-1 the gun barrel where ok but the carriage did not fit my need or are accurate, so I decide to build new one.
First I build the base of the carriage photo 23-2 then I made the side but the thickness of 2mm is too much so I thin them of the aft the result is 23-4
Now after correction on the frame photo 23-5 is the new carriage compare to the one supplied in the kit.
The wood that was used is again Popsicle stick as it is a soft wood easy to use. And Bamboo Skewers that I cut in 1.5mm thickness for the wheel.

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg1d.jpg1e.jpg

It took me a long time to finally found the Proper Sea Howitzer or at least something close that equip the Santisima it is the MS2664 from model shipways
Photo 24-1 24-2 24-3 is the gun before painting or rigging (I discover recently June 2011 that my Howitzer where a bit out of scale)
Here I made a stupid not excusable mistake I paint figurine and know to never paint direct on the metal, to always applied a primer before and I did not do it this time
As you can see with 24-4 that section of deck is a bit crowed with the entire pulley and the robe associated with those howitzer
24-5 show you the hook that equip all the pulley it was something that was suggested to add and I start to do it is long to do but the look is not bad I still have to improve but it is not bad
Photos 24-6 show a complete rig for one side. And I know there are a red blob on the gun I have made the correction.
24-7 24-8 24-9 give you different view of the deck with both model of gun
And finally 24-10 at the request of Andrea a top view of the complete gun station for the forth gun deck. Now that all the deck are build and all the gun install it is time to complete the inside of the section.

1a.JPG1b.jpg1c.jpg1d.jpg

This is just a small post as it is time to dress up the inside of the section first I need barrel and the kit do not supplied them in sufficient quantity it is not with 5 or 6 that I will be able to give the section a more realistic look.
I got 3 type of barrel to make
25-1 to 25-5 the making of the bigger one I make 7 of them, for a first try it is not perfect but not to bad
25-6 is the medium size and 25-7 all my barrel I just need now to taint 25-8 them and applied a bit of paint
Now I have to figure out how to add ballast to the section as the kit do not give any indication of how it is suppose to be done except to supply by rock

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg

The ballast of the ship.
Andrea and me where questioning our self as how to represent the ballast in the ship section we exchange a few idea and agreed that the rock supplied in the kit was absolutely not representative.
Photo 26-1 show what it was before and 26-2 the rock supplied in the kit.
Even my favourite information site about Spanish ship was not 100% satisfactory and it was doing some research to answer the question of one member of DDM that I found my answer it was in the official site of the Victory.
At that time they where putting a base of Iron pig that was recover by gravel on top of that they add big barrel. It was common practice at that time to move the barrel to compensate the use of food and water to keep the ship level.
So first to represent the pig iron I prepare some 5x2x15mm piece of wood 26-3 that I round up at one end I then paint them flat lamp ebony black and glue them in position on the bottom of the hull 26-4 but only on the edge of the section as very little of them will be visible.
I then use clay 26-5 to fill the inside (sorry I forgot to take a picture) and cave in a little the barrel to give the impression the they where sunk a bit in the gravel
26-6 show the clay after I have applied some taint to it and the barrel glue in place I add some sand and the end result 26-7

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg1d.jpg

With this post I have finish the hull inside and outside
27-1 shows you the emptiness of the lower deck
In the kit they supplied 2 block of wood to be recover with tissue to represent ballot and a few barrel as previously posted I did turn a lot more in 3 different sizes and I made some ballot and other thing to occupied a bit the space 27-2 show you everything that will go in the hold
The next 5 pictures show you view from the front and the back I think that it is probably representative now of what it was.
27-8 show what the kit was suppose to look and my version at 27-9

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg1d.jpg1e.jpg

I have finish to prepare the mast and put it in position the next step will to do the rigging starting by the shroud.
The total height is 35” or 85cm my son will have fun to keep it in is apartment. I can’t say really noting about the installation of the base pulley I just follow the drawing and did them one by one. 28-1 to 28-4 show different view of the mast install.
Picture 28-5 and 28-6 show the section side by side with the ship at the same level.

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg

Making the shroud was a lots of work and I am not looking for the one on the ship
It is the height of the mast that are the trouble and making the topgallant one 27’’ or 70cm from the table, it is hard to do luckily I do have a small table that I can adjust at the height that I need. So it went well.
But the shroud are complete now with the help of Chloe
The sail is not done yet as I install it only to see the complete size of the section and they will be Haft mast furled.

1a.jpg1c.jpg

That it the last post the section is now complete
All sail install and minimal rigging done
As my son want is sail to be furled it was after hard thinking that I came to an easy solution I have everything provide with the section I just do it the way it was done using the pulley already install
31-1 to 31-4 I furl the sail
The rest of the picture is the now finish model side view and front view
31-5 and 31-6 and the hull section 31-7

1a.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg

Charles,

I just found your log. You did a LOT of extra detailing - well done. I quickly glanced through with morning coffee. I will go back and read through later. Your example is very accurate. I know that red hull trim was needed, also painting the platform and part of the mast black is period correct, as well as deck guns (I knew about that but did not want to build those complicated carriages - so used kit guns and built simple carriages (your work in this area is excellent). Nice!! -

As a builder I prefer to leave all woods natural (not correct I know) prefer the "look" I did the same with my last build - and that one has SO many needed colors haha.
PS: I have already learned some ideas from quickly looking at your photos that I will adapt for finishing mine Okay. I'll be back soon. Very nice having both ships in one kit.

Cheers,

Tanks a lots Michael compliment from you tanks again
That was for my older boy they are all 4 kit that I have build form him in casing in his basement.
:cool:

Charles,

Lucky son - mine has no interest in my hobby. I think that I will donate my Vasa to my local public library, I have spoken with them and I would like the ship with its case to be displayed in the children's section of the library. If you are interested you can see photos of the completed Vass just under my signature click on the Vasa link.

Do you have a build log for your complete ST on this site?

Cheers,

Michael most of my ship are given away for charity, my sons or on request for friend.
I am not of the calibers of you or Jack Aubrey or many other modellers but I do decent work. My problem is I do too many different modelling Tanks, Airplane, Figurine not bad on each type but not extra real good (just decent) and a kit builder.

In the last 20y I have build 20ships still 10 log to put in line
Hachette Bismarck and France Liner
3 Blue Jacket iron clad
1 more combat station
And 4 other small ship

Project in construction Royal Louis from Mamoli and a Bireme from Duseck 1 figurine and one SF kit
Project to build later Saö Miguel. La Couronne, Yacht Mary, Syren, the Seguin and for my other son the Real the France and around 1000 figurines (from 35 to 120mm) 8 Airplanes 1/48 and 20 tanks and soft skin 1/35 to do.
Suppose to build the Syren this winter in the same time with Novastorm

I have see many Wasa over the year your are probably on the top 10 I have see
Yes My St is here put the post in on the 17 of august
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...occre-kit-15800-build-from-2004-to-2012.3603/
And given away to your library your ship is real good, and I am certain the your kid will regret not taking your ship in the future and will take is kid to see what there grand father did.

Back