Cutter Cheerful 1806 Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Uwe and everybody else for the interest and likes. At least I did not put all those treenails! ;) For the next one, I leaning towards one of those CAF kits. La Belle 1684?
La Belle or the La Salamandre - both are very good examples for a very good start into POF models based on a kit. Or maybe the HMS Alert from Trident.
If you want to make a POF-model these would some of the possibilities

Still painting the lower hull. Not too pleased. Paint for some reason cracks. I applied seven or eight coats of thinned paint. Any advice? Got tired of painting, so I made winch:

IMG_0090.JPG

Also started carronade assembly. Quoin handle is actually a belaying pin that I purchased (russian company called falkonet - outstanding quality, never seen anything like this before).

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

Thanks for all the view, likes and comments. Much appreciated. Small update - turned into a gunsmith. Although carronade carriages are laser cut, it still takes some time to assemble them, do the metal work, blacken it, and dreadful rigging is around the corner :(

IMG_0092.JPG

WHite stuff for the hull? I don't have the WInfield bij mijn hands, but I am really sure that the hull was coppered.
Where did you get the cannons? Are these form Resin?

WHite stuff for the hull? I don't have the WInfield bij mijn hands, but I am really sure that the hull was coppered.
Where did you get the cannons? Are these form Resin?
White stuff is the afterthought, an attempt to salvage the model after I accidentally applied oil based wipe on poly, instead of water based, not intention to historically represent the cutter. My wife recommended painting, I considered it, found some pictures of contemporary models painted that way (see picture below) and that's it. I bought carronade barrels from syren ship model company. They are not resin, they are turned brass which I chemically blackened and applied king's monogram (laser cut black board). Thanks for you interest and comments.

cutter1.jpg

Historically you are correct.
According Lavery in his "Arming and Fitting....." on page 62 ff is written:
The programme (of copper sheating) began in May 1779, when it was ordered that all ships of 32 guns and less should be coppered next time they were in dock........ By the end of war in 1783, it was accepted that all ships should be coppered,......
The Cherfull was built in 1806 and slightly sure, that she was also coppered, although she was only in Baltic and Portugal, and I guess otherwise only near Britain in duty
12.JPG 11.JPG

White stuff is the afterthought, an attempt to salvage the model after I accidentally applied oil based wipe on poly, instead of water based, not intention to historically represent the cutter. My wife recommended painting, I considered it, found some pictures of contemporary models painted that way (see picture below) and that's it.....
Yes, contemporary models have more or less every time no copper sheating, seems, that the modelers did make this, in order to show better the lines of a vessel and left away this part of a ship.......
I am with you .... the white stuff will look very good on your cutter model

Historically you are correct.
According Lavery in his "Arming and Fitting....." on page 62 ff is written:
The programme (of copper sheating) began in May 1779, when it was ordered that all ships of 32 guns and less should be coppered next time they were in dock........ By the end of war in 1783, it was accepted that all ships should be coppered,......
The Cherfull was built in 1806 and slightly sure, that she was also coppered, although she was only in Baltic and Portugal, and I guess otherwise only near Britain in duty
View attachment 131242 View attachment 131241

Yes, contemporary models have more or less every time no copper sheating, seems, that the modelers did make this, in order to show better the lines of a vessel and left away this part of a ship.......
I am with you .... the white stuff will look very good on your cutter model
Thanks for the research, Uwe. There is another interesting thing regarding Cheerful. It's listed as 12 gun cutter, although there are 16 gun ports (7 on starboard/portside and 2 at stern). Why would they open gun ports at bow and stern, where there is basically no room to operate carronades/long guns?

Thanks for the research, Uwe. There is another interesting thing regarding Cheerful. It's listed as 12 gun cutter, although there are 16 gun ports (7 on starboard/portside and 2 at stern). Why would they open gun ports at bow and stern, where there is basically no room to operate carronades/long guns?
I was now also checking Rif Winfields book "British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817" where the Cheerful class is listed, this resource is also mentioned in the Three-Decks page.
IMG_5323.JPG

111.JPG

This class had 10 of 12-pounder Carronades and 2 pcs of 4-Pounder.
So I guess the 4-pounder were the chasing guns and were also possible to move to the gunports close the the bow, in case the followed a ship for chasing.....
Does the Cheerful has also two small gunports at the stern? In this painting she had two, so they could also moved backwards to the stern, if the cutter was chased.
medium_1904_0026_0002.jpg

I was now also checking Rif Winfields book "British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817" where the Cheerful class is listed, this resource is also mentioned in the Three-Decks page.
View attachment 131304

View attachment 131305

This class had 10 of 12-pounder Carronades and 2 pcs of 4-Pounder.
So I guess the 4-pounder were the chasing guns and were also possible to move to the gunports close the the bow, in case the followed a ship for chasing.....
Does the Cheerful has also two small gunports at the stern? In this painting she had two, so they could also moved backwards to the stern, if the cutter was chased.
View attachment 131306
Uwe, thanks again for your research. Cheerful, according to plans, does have to stern ports, which I intentionally omitted. Stern ports are opened in the upper counter, yet there is no structure underneath to support guns. Go figure. Two foremost ports still puzzle me. There is enough room, sort of, on starboard side, but look at the port side:

IMG_0095.JPG

Carronade barely fits in. If they fired it in this position, say goodbye to bowsprit/bitts/windlass. Anyway, I'm inclined to arm her with 14 carronades.
Thanks everyone for your interest, comments and likes. Much appreciated.

In this video you can see a 3-pdr naval gun, the 4 pdrs were only slightly bigger.
Much smaller than the normal long-guns - these guns did not need a big place, also the movement after shot was not so long
Holly cow - literally! This explains the use of chasers, they barely move when fired. I want one of these for Christmas :) I suppose they would fall under restricted weapons in Canada. Many thanks, Uwe.

Looking good your carronades..... remember -> you not need them all....
Thanks Uwe. You are right, I need 12 carronades + 2 long guns which I don't have and frankly speaking, not willing to spend any more money on this build. So,
what should I do? Install 12 carronades and leave chase ports empty or all 14 carronades. I'm leaning towards 14 carronades, although it's not historically accurate. But the way this is shaping, there is almost nothing historically accurate about this build - hook/scarf joints, frieze, white stuff ... :( Thanks again.

Gennaro, it may not be where you want it to be but it is still well done and worthwhile continuing to the best of your ability, even if you use it as practice for the next, even better model. :)

Gennaro, it may not be where you want it to be but it is still well done and worthwhile continuing to the best of your ability, even if you use it as practice for the next, even better model. :)
Thanks Hedley for your kind words. I suppose, "worthwhile" is the key word. And it is. As long as it is. Thanks for the smiley as well! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back