Danish Bomb Vessel 1771, "Den Gloende", POB, 1:48

I didn't take a lot of photos as I did this, it was all pretty straight forward. I finished the upper planking and then cut out the Gun Ports and sweep ports over the weekend.

I added framing up to the bow for the railing, before I sanded the upper plank down to rail level. I made the odd shaped framing from left over walnut from laser cut sheet waste from kits. In the photo below you can see the slight indentation by the upper portion of the stem. This matches the opposite side and came out very symmetrical. The upper rail is off of the template by about 1mm in the sharpest curving portion on each side, but the same on each side. I'll get a photo of that.

I drilled a .5mm hole from the back of the sweep ports, then used a square diamond covered file to open them up. This allowed me to adjust the alignment a bit as I worked. The framing on the end sweep ports was a little low, but I just did some extra filing on the top and didn't go all the way to the bottom. I'm very happy with the look.

dg118-XL.jpg

Next thing I would like to do is plank the lower hull. However I'm going to wait a while on that because I ordered a thickness sander from Byrnes model Machines a week or so ago. When I get the planks cut on my table saw they're sill pretty rough. They looked pretty good but in this case required quite a lot of sanding after installation. More consistent planks will save me a bit of manual work. Got to wondering how much thicker I should cut the plank for sanding allowance?

Will probably start working on the sub-decks at this point.

Last edited:

Well, while I'm waiting for my thickness sander and working on other projects these parts arrived. I did the Design and drawing in Autocad, and Mike Shanks cut them for me. This is the nicest laser cutting I've ever seen. There are no burn marks as you can (not) see. The window cross bars are 1 1/2" to scale, no way I could have made them from wood with the tools I have. Can't wait to put them on, but I have too or I'd almost certainly end up with something broken. I also just noticed I cropped the photo a little to tight on the right side there is more wood on the right of the parts there.

The trim strip will be contoured and added to the top of the stern plate, The rings go around the round holes. The lower window frames go In the gun port openings near the back of the ship. None of the ships of this class were outfitted with guns on the stern from the information I can Find. There is reference to windows being installed. The arched pieces are rings that go around the mortar mounts and will have a scale for rotating degrees for aiming.

den0033-XL.jpg

So yesterday I spent about 7 hours creating 3D models of the Mortars for this ship, and then this afternoon I ordered them printed by Shapeways. This is one place where the Danish approach is considerably different from the english approach. Note the mortar is cast as part of the base instead of hinged like on the Granado. I've seen several photos of this type mortar with a wedge system under it to adjust the angle. Based on the ship plan for the Gloende it appears they just used different gunpowder charges to change the range. The plans show a lot of detail but no wedge. I didn't model the portion of the plate that goes down in the front because it will be hidden by the carriage

Here's a rendering of the 150 pound mortar in cast iron, should have them in a couple weeks.

DEN0036-M.jpg

G-4129%20Mortar%20Section%20Feb%201771-L.png

Last edited:

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Looking very good - very good result.
The french La Salamandre had the same type of mortar with a fixed angle to the base of 45 degrees.
IMG_33261.jpg
The range distance was adjusted with the gun-powder and also the distance of the ship towards the target
The way of working of these vessels are well shown and explained in
and

Thanks for the compliment.

I never intended to produce a set of plans for sale or distribution or anything like that. When I'm finished I would be willing to give the computer files that I create away. I just don't want to go into business and become technical support for the errors in the plans and printing them etc. If someone wanted to use them it would be at their own risk.