Design and build model ships from scratch.

I use my Dewalt table saw this way extensively. In addition, I built a jig that allows me to precisely set the cut for very narrow strips, down t0 20/1000" or less. The jig sets in the table groove to the left of the blade and the fence is adjusted move the wood until it touches the jig at your desired setting. After each cut, the fence is adjusted to move the wood to contact the jig again. That is more repetition than some people can stand, but it is necessary to keep the fragile, thin stock from getting chewed up in the tight space between the fence and the blade if you tried to cut such thin stock the traditional way. Attached is an article about the jig with instructions for construction & use. There are several other jigs as well. I didn't want to tear apart the PDF and, some of the other jigs may be of interest as well
Happy modelling.
Steven

Attachments

• Tablesaw Jigs.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
I was surprised to find that you can get, what appears to be, some pretty decent table/bench mounted saws for hobby level work of this type for a couple hundred bucks a pop.

I've got space for something like that, so now that's got me thinking about roughing out some of my own designs and building those, in addition to kits.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of that. I just wonder how many other people had the same great idea and, for whatever reason, all that equipment ends up just sitting around.
Yes. I have been milling planks for some time now. A thickness planer is also a good addition to a workshop

Back