DIFFERENT BUILDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

HI ALL MEMBERS SOS, HAVE A QUESTION SO LITTLE INTEREST IN DIFFERENT TYPES OF BUILDS NO FOLLOWERS FOR BUILDS LIKE THE HALF HULL/ ENGLISH CUTTER, THE HARBOR DREDGE, KRIS/ DON NOT MY BUILD BUT THE TOPIC AND CONSTRUCTION DETAILS DIFFERENT TYPE OF BUILDS, COME ON GUYS COMENTSD AND THOUGHTS ON THESE, DIFFERENT IDEAS TO HELP GROW INTEREST IN DIFFERENT TPE OF BUILDS, THESE ARE HISTORIC CORRECT BUILDS AND NEED MOR SUPPORT BY THE GREAT MEMBERSHIP ON SOS YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

i am not quite sure what you are trying to say, but there are a lot of different scratch and kit build logs going on covering quite a variety of subjects. So i would not say there is little interest in different types of builds
Perhaps the harbor dredge or the half hull English cutter are not very popular, but builders will pick and choose what interest them. Maybe these, as you say are historical correct models but that does not mean much to anyone. The last time anyone tried to point out historical correctness it ended in a shameful disaster and people insisting in "builders choice" historically collect or not, it did not matter.
If your saying "in general" historical correct models need more support well, we can talk about that. But keep in mind this is for the most part is a hobby level kit building forum that has some scratch projects going on.

I think I see what he is saying, There seems to be only a hand full of ships people are building, ie, victory, bluenose, vasa, and it makes you wonder if there building them because of liking or because everyone else is building the same ship.

I think I see what he is saying, There seems to be only a hand full of ships people are building, ie, victory, bluenose, vasa, and it makes you wonder if there building them because of liking or because everyone else is building the same ship.

the ships you mention have always been popular subjects and i think builders select them because information in the form of build logs and research material are available as apposed to say some obscure subject where build information is hard to come by. The working class vessels ie. Dredges, tug boats, light ships, tenders, fireships, fishing vessels, cargo vessels, steam ships are not popular subjects they are more in a class of their own and of special interest. historical vessels require a lot of research to be historical correct and few hobbyists have the time and money to do the research.
So all and all the same popular subjects are redone over and over not copied but reimagined or improved on.

THANK YOU OLD MAN52, DAVE YOU ARE MISINTERPETING AGAIN WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY I AM THE LEAST BUILDER THAT IS A PURIST FOR HISTORICAL ACCERACY, I GO BY BUILDERS CHOICE, THE HISTORICAL FACTS ARE HALF HULLS WHAT THEY WERE USED FOR WHY THEY WERE BUILT BOTH MAINLY POF FOR MODELS AND FOR MODELS POB (AGAIN BUILDERS CHOICE) LOOK AT MIK 41 AND MIKE J BUILDS ON THE HALF HULLS AND MY WAY WITCH CAN NOT COMPARE WITH THERE CRAFTMANSHIP BUT IT IS THERE DIFFERENT WAY, ALL I AM SAYING IS THERE SHOULD BE MORE INTEREST IN DIFFERENT SUBJECTS, NOT SO MUCH INDIVIDUAL BUILDS LIKE CONSTITUTION, OR VICRORYS ETC BUT AS TYPES OF BUILDS CHINESE SHIPS, JAPANESSE SUBJECTS AS WELL AS RUSSIAN, ANCIENT EGYPT NOT SO MUCH GALLEONS, OR CARRACKS BUT THE SUBJECT ITSELF. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON

Hi Don,
People's build intertest depends on many different reasons. One of the main reasons is the ability and skillsets. Scratch build is not for everyone as it requires the fabrication of parts from the plans. You have to be able to understand and 'read' the plans in order to succeed. I am not even talking about authentically, or as you said, historically correct. Another reason, not less important, that a scratch build requires some tools like tablesaw, planner, thickness sander, and other expensive tools. Not everyone can afford it.
People prefer to build from kits because as the convenient way to have "all you need for the build" in one package. All you need to do is follow the manual to assemble. Kit manufacturers making kits of very popular ships, so they can be assured, they will sell them. To produce a kit requires lots of money. They want to make sure to get ROI (Return Of Investments). How many people will buy the kit of The Harbor Dredge? It is an interesting ship, but not too many modelers will consider it for a future build, IMHO. I am one of them...

BTW...do you have an interest in building battleships and\or streamers? Why not? We have many scratch build logs of those types of models. They have a rich history and...I am sure will be a very nice model to display (once you build them).

BOY IT IS HARD TO GET MY POINT ACROSS, IT IS NOT THE BUILDS PER SAY THERE ARE MANY KITS FOR TRADITINAL CHINESE SHIPS JUST LOOK AT CROWN MODELS GLORIA, WOODY JOE FOR JAPANESE SHIPS, THE TURTLE SHIP THAT DANIEL IS BUILDING, THE FALCONETS THE PISOF ALL KITS, WOODY JOE HAS A ANCIENT EGYPTIAN BUILD ALL ARE KITS, SCRATCH BUILDS THE HALF HULL/ CUTTER AND THE LIKE, THE HARBOR DREDGE IS A SEMI SCRATCH SO FAR ONE OF A KIND FROM KRIS, IT IS NOT THE KIT OR THE SCRATCH BUT THE SUBJECT REPEAT THE SUBJECT THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, THE HISTORY OF THE SUBJECT HOPE I HAVE EXPLAINED MYSELF, THERE ARE EXCELLENT CHINESSE KITS OUT BLUENOSE, ALERT, LE COURERE, AND MORE COMING OUT, BUT THE SUBJECT, THE SUBJECT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

ANOTHER THOUGHT ON THE SUBJECT FALCONET HAS ANOTHER ONE OUT A YACHT ULVANE I THINK IS THE NAME, SUBJECT, SUBJECT ALL KITS, AS FOR BATTLESHIPS THESE ARE SCRATCH BUILT ABOVE WAY ABOVE MY SKILL LEVEL, BLUE JACKET HAS SOME OUT BUT VERY EXPENSIVE JUST MY 2 CENTS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

I am sorry, Don. We have almost every type of build here at our forum and at least one build log of it! What type of build did you ask us to raise interest for? What kind of support do you expect from members?

JIM I AM NOT ASKING FOR SUPPORT OF ANY KIND, I JUST CAN NOT GET THROUGH TO WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY, THIS IS NOT ABOUT ANY OF MY BUILDS OR LOGS, MAYBE SOMEONE CAN EXPRESS WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY, REPEAT NOT ANY OF MY BUILDS OR LOGS NOT TALKING ABOUT HELP, UNLESS SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN JUST LEAVE IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

ANOTHER THOUGHT ON THE SUBJECT FALCONET HAS ANOTHER ONE OUT A YACHT ULVANE I THINK IS THE NAME, SUBJECT, SUBJECT ALL KITS, AS FOR BATTLESHIPS THESE ARE SCRATCH BUILT ABOVE WAY ABOVE MY SKILL LEVEL, BLUE JACKET HAS SOME OUT BUT VERY EXPENSIVE JUST MY 2 CENTS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON
Hello Don, there are so many kits released lately. Uvalen kit already one year on the market. I wish I can review all the new kits on the market but unfortunately I am not the son of a millionaire, neither a rich person ;) I cannot afford to buy kits for review. If you are interested in Uvalen kit from Falconet, be one of the members and make a kit review. How about that?

JIM I AM NOT ASKING FOR SUPPORT OF ANY KIND, I JUST CAN NOT GET THROUGH TO WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY, THIS IS NOT ABOUT ANY OF MY BUILDS OR LOGS, MAYBE SOMEONE CAN EXPRESS WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY, REPEAT NOT ANY OF MY BUILDS OR LOGS NOT TALKING ABOUT HELP, UNLESS SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN JUST LEAVE IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
This is what you wrote (see below). What kind of help from members to grow an interest?

DIFFERENT IDEAS TO HELP GROW INTEREST IN DIFFERENT TPE OF BUILDS, THESE ARE HISTORIC CORRECT BUILDS AND NEED MOR SUPPORT BY THE GREAT MEMBERSHIP ON SOS YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE.

Donfarr, many people are not familiar with ship half models, their history, or the methods and traditional materials used to build them. So, if you are trying to build one, our help may be limited. All the members here build a variety of model types, each in accordance with the persons desires. The choices of what we build vary. If you are interested in half models, we would all benefit greatly from a build log of yours is this is your area of interest. You could tell us about the origins and traditional methods used to build whatever type of model you enjoy making. Please start a new message and make a build log with pictures and descriptions of the steps as you build.

YOU GUYS DO NOT GET IT, WILL JUST DROP IT, JIM NOT TALKING ABOUT KIT REVIEWS OR PURCHASING, KURT THAT IS THE POINT TO LEARN ABOUT HALF HULLS WHY NEEDED, THIS IS NOT ME, SEEM TO BE HAVING A CONVERSATION ABOUT APPLES, ORANGES,AS ONE, THIS IS ENDED, UNLESS SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS, WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

HAVE A QUESTION SO LITTLE INTEREST IN DIFFERENT TYPES OF BUILDS

there is a huge and i am saying a HUGE interest in different types of ships that are modeled just go through Facebook and there are many other forums that cover a vast amount of different subjects.

i am trying to figure out what you are saying first you say there is little interest in different subjects

HAVE A QUESTION SO LITTLE INTEREST IN DIFFERENT TYPES OF BUILDS

then you say this and give us examples of many different subjects

BOY IT IS HARD TO GET MY POINT ACROSS, IT IS NOT THE BUILDS PER SAY THERE ARE MANY KITS FOR TRADITINAL CHINESE SHIPS JUST LOOK AT CROWN MODELS GLORIA, WOODY JOE FOR JAPANESE SHIPS, THE TURTLE SHIP THAT DANIEL IS BUILDING, THE FALCONETS THE PISOF ALL KITS, WOODY JOE HAS A ANCIENT EGYPTIAN BUILD ALL ARE KITS, SCRATCH BUILDS THE HALF HULL/ CUTTER AND THE LIKE, THE HARBOR DREDGE IS A SEMI SCRATCH SO FAR ONE OF A KIND FROM KRIS, IT IS NOT THE KIT OR THE SCRATCH BUT THE SUBJECT REPEAT THE SUBJECT THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, THE HISTORY OF THE SUBJECT HOPE I HAVE EXPLAINED MYSELF, THERE ARE EXCELLENT CHINESSE KITS OUT BLUENOSE, ALERT, LE COURERE, AND MORE COMING OUT, BUT THE SUBJECT, THE SUBJECT.

are you saying you would like to see all the subjects you mentioned above represented here on Ships of Scale?
that is not up to the staff, we are a membership forum what is represented is up to the members.

I AM TRYING TO SAY I AM THE LEAST BUILDER THAT IS A PURIST FOR HISTORICAL ACCERACY, I GO BY BUILDERS CHOICE,

then you say

THE KIT OR THE SCRATCH BUT THE SUBJECT REPEAT THE SUBJECT THAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, THE HISTORY OF THE SUBJECT

if you are for builders choice that means who cares if it is historically correct so why bother with the history of the subject.?

I think Don tries to motivate our members, also to check out and take regular notice of the some special types of modeleing, f.e. the new group build of the hal hull cutter

There is not so much traffic, means not many people are particpating in the talks around some special modeling fields (also like the harbor dredge, which is btw in my opnion a very interesting vessel)

So If I interpret Don correct, I can fully underline the words by Don, take a look or twice to also these models - it is realy interesting to follow

well... there are so many interesting builds on SOS, that most members are not following or simply ignoring. It is hard to explain such behaviour. I guess members concentrate on their own model building and don't have time for others.

well... there are so many interesting builds on SOS, that most members are not following or simply ignoring. It is hard to explain such behaviour. I guess members concentrate on their own model building and don't have time for others.

another thought is a model builder has a pre-idea of what type of model they want to build so they come to a forum like this and search out similar models or they purchased a kit and come to a forum looking for information on that kit or something close to it, a third reason is a builder is looking for information on how to do something. I do think some will come to this or any forum and have no idea what they want to build and will search for something that interest them. But i will bet they pick something they recognize like the Bounty.

if i understand don he would like to see more attention to these unique builds and kits rather than the run of the mill same old stuff. BUT no matter how much hype you give a kit or build or how much you try to push something if it is of little interest to the general population that is the way it is..
One of the reasons i stopped trying to make kits you can pour a ton of time and money into something and it never floats it turns out to be of little to no interest to anyone. so trying to second guess what will go and what will sink is a high risk business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back