DIFFERENT BUILDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHY THE SAME OLD SAME OLD CRAP, TRY SOMETHING NEW IF NOT TO BUILD JUST THE STORIES AND HISTORY BEHIND THE SUBJECTS UWE IS CORRECT THANK YOU VERY MUCH LIKE THE HISTORY BEHIND DANIELS TURTLE SHIP YOU DO NOT NECESSARSLY WANT TO BUILD THE MODEL BUT THE HISTORY OF THE SUBJECT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, JUST CHECK OUT WOODY JOES JAPANESSE SHIPS SO INTERESTING AS A SUBJECT REPEAT SUBJECT, AND THE SUBJECT CAN BE THINGS BESIDES THE ACTUAL SHIPS BUT METODS LIKE HALF HULLS WHY AND WHERE, BREAD AND BUTTER, SOLID HULLS, I THINK EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THE HISTORY OF THE 74 GUN SHIP SHIPS OF THE LINE ETC BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SMALLER VESSELS, THE NEED FOR A HARBOR DREDGE, A DUTCH GALLIOT, ETC BEING POULAR IS NO REASON TO NOT BE INTERESTED, JUST A LAZY WAY TO AVOID LEARNING. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL D0N

well... there are so many interesting builds on SOS, that most members are not following or simply ignoring. It is hard to explain such behaviour. I guess members concentrate on their own model building and don't have time for others.
Basically, everyone has there interests and we usually stay within those boundaries, and there is nothing wrong with that. Half hull models are a very specific type of model. To me, it's only half a ship since the historical origin of that type of model fall outside my interests. As many of you guys know, I like a ship model to to contain all it's parts as if it were sailing, including sails deployed, and fell in love with early 17th century ships because of their artwork. Everyone has their own thing.

WHY THE SAME OLD SAME OLD CRAP, TRY SOMETHING NEW IF NOT TO BUILD JUST THE STORIES AND HISTORY BEHIND THE SUBJECTS UWE IS CORRECT THANK YOU VERY MUCH LIKE THE HISTORY BEHIND DANIELS TURTLE SHIP YOU DO NOT NECESSARSLY WANT TO BUILD THE MODEL BUT THE HISTORY OF THE SUBJECT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, JUST CHECK OUT WOODY JOES JAPANESSE SHIPS SO INTERESTING AS A SUBJECT REPEAT SUBJECT, AND THE SUBJECT CAN BE THINGS BESIDES THE ACTUAL SHIPS BUT METODS LIKE HALF HULLS WHY AND WHERE, BREAD AND BUTTER, SOLID HULLS, I THINK EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THE HISTORY OF THE 74 GUN SHIP SHIPS OF THE LINE ETC BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SMALLER VESSELS, THE NEED FOR A HARBOR DREDGE, A DUTCH GALLIOT, ETC BEING POULAR IS NO REASON TO NOT BE INTERESTED, JUST A LAZY WAY TO AVOID LEARNING. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL D0N
BECAUSE, the same old crap is popular. Many of us have interests that are off the beaten path, but the majority of us love warships with lots of cannons from the 15th-19th centuries. No one here would EVER discourage a person from showing us an uncommon type of build or lesser known vessel. Model kit companies have not come up with newer ships in decades, and scratch building is beyond the ability of many who truly love old ships, and would LOVE to build detailed models. We ENCOURAGE those who build models which are uncommon to show us what they build as much as we can. A group here even builds model canoes of all things. Where I live in Minnesota, lake boating and fishing are an essential part of our culture, and we just buy a real canoe and use it, not build a model. I have a canoe. Nothings special, but it floats. If you build a smaller vessel, and I don't care if it's a push boat or an integrated tug and barge, you will have people watching your build with great interest. But you can't tell people what to be interested in. We are free here.

WHY NOT WIDEN YOUR INTERESTS NOT THE BUILDS LET ME GET ONE THING STRAIGHT HERE I DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT WANT THE STAFF TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS AT ALL AS MODELS BUT AS UWE SAID JUST CREATE SOME INTEREST IN OTHER SUBJECTS, LIKE A HUGE, HUGE, VERY HUGE DIARAMS 1:87 SCAL WATER LINE SHIPS HO RR BUILDINGS DOCK YARD BUILDINGS MAYBE 30 PLUS BUILDERS CONTRIBUTING HOW DOES THAT SOUND. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

I AM NOT REPEAT NOT TRYING TO TELL ANYONE WHAT TO BE INTERESTED OR NOT INTERESTED IN JUST TO EXPAND INTEREST TRY IT YOU MAY LIKE IT, KURT I HAVE GIVEN MANY EXAMPLES OF KIT MAUNFACTURES WITH NEW SUBJECTS, PIRSCOFF, FALCONET, WOODY JOES, CHECK OUT CRROWN MODELS IN CHINA FOR SOME TRADINAL CHINESE BUILDS ASK HEINRICH. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

JUST A LAZY WAY TO AVOID LEARNING
Your conclusion is wrong and will try to explain. Everyone has their own preference for learning. Just because they didn't write or talk about other ships, doesn't mean they are looking for excuses to learn. If you would like us (SOS members) to learn more, about different vessels and their history please contribute.
Just out of curiosity, do you know about our "Today in Naval History" thread made by Uwe? Not so many members ever look into this, But this thread has extensive information about all types of ships and not just the ships, people, battles other extremely interesting material. All naval history of what had happened in the given day\year\century. How about that?

I think we are matured enough to make a decision on what do we want to learn...and obviously what to build without looking for excuses.

I AM NOT REPEAT NOT TRYING TO TELL ANYONE WHAT TO BE INTERESTED OR NOT INTERESTED IN JUST TO EXPAND INTEREST TRY IT YOU MAY LIKE IT, KURT I HAVE GIVEN MANY EXAMPLES OF KIT MAUNFACTURES WITH NEW SUBJECTS, PIRSCOFF, FALCONET, WOODY JOES, CHECK OUT CRROWN MODELS IN CHINA FOR SOME TRADINAL CHINESE BUILDS ASK HEINRICH. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Don, we have builds here from Piroscaf, Falconet as well as Woody Joye (a few ships and buildings)

WHY NOT WIDEN YOUR INTERESTS NOT THE BUILDS LET ME GET ONE THING STRAIGHT HERE I DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT WANT THE STAFF TO BE INVOLVED IN THIS AT ALL AS MODELS BUT AS UWE SAID JUST CREATE SOME INTEREST IN OTHER SUBJECTS, LIKE A HUGE, HUGE, VERY HUGE DIARAMS 1:87 SCAL WATER LINE SHIPS HO RR BUILDINGS DOCK YARD BUILDINGS MAYBE 30 PLUS BUILDERS CONTRIBUTING HOW DOES THAT SOUND. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Many of us DO NOT HAVE THE INTEREST IN BUILDING the more uncommon style of models, simply because we do not possess the interest. It's that simple. Any ship modeler knows that in order to build a model on the level of complexity that a wooden sailing ship or boat requires, you must be PASSIONATE about that particular vessel. Otherwise, your half finished model ends up buried on the top shelf never to be seen again. All of us have different interests, an although your choice may be very inspiring to you, we may or may not share that passion to the same level because we are individuals, with our own likes and desires. That is not to say that we would have no interest in your choices, because like I said before, most of us would follow your build log an learn a lot, but only a select few would CHOOSE to invest t he time and effort to build the same type of model YOU chose.

So, show us what you love! You will get people who share your interest to follow your log, even if they are busy building what THEY like. There are some very unusual projects made by builders on this site, and they may be harder to find, but they are there. Many of our builders do not have build logs or have not posted pictures of their work. May that's why you don't see some other more scarce models. Believe me, we try to get other builders to make build logs, but success has been limited. Some of the newer guys may be afraid of criticism, or be so self critical that they will not post. Others don't want to spend the time it takes to chronicle their work and post it. Who knows.

By the way, have you looked at the

Completed Models Showcase

yet?

Last edited:
WHY THE SAME OLD SAME OLD CRAP, TRY SOMETHING NEW IF NOT TO BUILD JUST THE STORIES AND HISTORY BEHIND THE SUBJECTS

try reading this i do not think it is the same old crap

and it it right here on the forum the history behind the subject

rather than complain about the same old crap why don't you do an article like the ferry boats of Detroit and contribute to the forum.

Last edited:
WHY THE SAME OLD SAME OLD CRAP, TRY SOMETHING NEW IF NOT TO BUILD JUST THE STORIES AND HISTORY BEHIND THE SUBJECTS

try reading this i do not think it is the same old crap

and it it right here on the forum the history behind the subject

rather than complain about the same old crap why don't you do an article like the ferry boats of Detroit and contribute to the forum.

That's a great story, Dave. Thanks for expanding my horizons! I had to look up images of a horse powered boat. I've never heard of that before, but it makes sense given the technology of the time.

Last edited:
LAST ONE FROM ME, KURT AND ALL I AM NOT SAYING ONE THING ANY THING NADA, NOTHING ABOUT BUILDING WHAT I AM BUILDING, EVERYONE BUILDS WHAT THEY LIKE, BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO LEARN, LEARN, LEARN NOT BUILD NOT LIKE NOT CONSTRUCT BUY LEARN DIFFERENT TYPES SUBJECTS METHODS OR HOWEVER YOU WANT TO SAY IT, KURT COULD NEVER BUILD WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND YOUR MARVOLOUS CRAFTMANSHIP JUST NOT IN THE CARDS FOR ME, DO NOT DO RIGGING (DAVE) MANY REASONS, THAT DOES NOT MEAN I CAN NOT LEARN, LEARN, LEARN AND ENJOY DONNIES MARVOLOUS BUILDS, UWE, MAARTEN OTHERS I CAN NEVER DO THE KIND OF WORK YOU MASTERS DO, BUT GUESS WHAT NICE SET OF FILES UWE, ECOLINE MAARTEN LEARN, LEARN, FROM ME TO YOU END. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

With regards to your comment Don about building something different. I remember you and I and a few other people were very keen on building the USS Mississippi, a sail and steam warship with side wheel paddles.

Thats a truely unique subject to build, but its a pity the plans and research was pulled by a 3rd party.

LAST ONE FROM ME, KURT AND ALL I AM NOT SAYING ONE THING ANY THING NADA, NOTHING ABOUT BUILDING WHAT I AM BUILDING, EVERYONE BUILDS WHAT THEY LIKE, BUT WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO LEARN, LEARN, LEARN NOT BUILD NOT LIKE NOT CONSTRUCT BUY LEARN DIFFERENT TYPES SUBJECTS METHODS OR HOWEVER YOU WANT TO SAY IT, KURT COULD NEVER BUILD WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND YOUR MARVOLOUS CRAFTMANSHIP JUST NOT IN THE CARDS FOR ME, DO NOT DO RIGGING (DAVE) MANY REASONS, THAT DOES NOT MEAN I CAN NOT LEARN, LEARN, LEARN AND ENJOY DONNIES MARVOLOUS BUILDS, UWE, MAARTEN OTHERS I CAN NEVER DO THE KIND OF WORK YOU MASTERS DO, BUT GUESS WHAT NICE SET OF FILES UWE, ECOLINE MAARTEN LEARN, LEARN, FROM ME TO YOU END. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
Please forgive me for having a hard time understanding what you are saying. We learn a lot of techniques from each other on this forum. I do not understand why you say you can never do many of the more difficulty things like rigging. We are not masters, we are students on the road to making better models as we go, and all of us are on different places on that same road. It sounds as if you may be placing limits on yourself, and that with some practice, you will figure out how to do complex rigging and other things. Is there a physical problem that makes it particularly challenging for you? Example: I have a real hard time doing rigging if I haven't eaten in many hours and my hands start to shake. I set things aside, get some food, and return to work a couple hours later when it is easier.

Please don't say you can never build the things we build here. I believe you can if you learn each step one at a time and are patient. It takes time and practice. La Couronne was my FIRST SHIP. If I can jump into this hobby and pull that one off, others can too. Everyone here is willing to share ideas and help anyone who is new learn how to do something. But you have to be willing to fail in order to learn. THAT'S what it takes. You take CHANCES. You go back and make the effort to fix mistakes when you can and move on. Know that each model you do gets better than the last one.

Want to see what another new guy can make with patience, study, and great interest? Look at DocKattner's model of Wasa. That is some sick detail! I'm borrowing several details, techniques, and features from him for the ship I am currently working on, and many more from several other builders like Nigel, Uwe, Maarten, and Roland Röler to name a few. And you wonder why it takes years for me to build a model... :D It's painfully slow work with all the research you have to do.

Last edited:
KURT, REGARDING CERTAIN BUILDS I AM 83 YEARS OLD, AND IT IS CATCHING UP TO ME, THROUGH MY FAITH IN JESUES I CAN KEEP GOING, BUT HAVE TO ADAPT TO CONDITIONS, EYE SIGHT NOT TO GOOD THATS WHY IN CAPS, CAN NOT STAND UNSUPPORTED ANY MORE NEED TO HOLD ON TO SOMETHING MODELING SITTING IT IS OK, JUST NEED TO ADAPT, AT ONE TIME PROBALLY, RIGGING JUST TAKES MORE TIME THEN I WANT TO GIVE IT MOST OF MY BUILDS I GIVE TO MY FAMILY I HAVE NO ROOM FOR RIGGED MODELS NOR DOES ANY OF MY FAMILY, I VALUE TIME A LOT AT MY AGE, SO I AM KEEPING BUILDS TO LIKE 6 MOS. MAX AND SMALLER QUICKER PROJECTS JUST WHERE I AM AT, LAST 10 DAYS COULD HARDLY WALK KNEE PROBLEMS, IT IS GETTING BETTER, IF I WAS A CAR NEED A OVERHAUL, BUT THERE IS JESUES WHO HAS GIVEN ME SO MUCH. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

KURT, REGARDING CERTAIN BUILDS I AM 83 YEARS OLD, AND IT IS CATCHING UP TO ME, THROUGH MY FAITH IN JESUES I CAN KEEP GOING, BUT HAVE TO ADAPT TO CONDITIONS, EYE SIGHT NOT TO GOOD THATS WHY IN CAPS, CAN NOT STAND UNSUPPORTED ANY MORE NEED TO HOLD ON TO SOMETHING MODELING SITTING IT IS OK, JUST NEED TO ADAPT, AT ONE TIME PROBALLY, RIGGING JUST TAKES MORE TIME THEN I WANT TO GIVE IT MOST OF MY BUILDS I GIVE TO MY FAMILY I HAVE NO ROOM FOR RIGGED MODELS NOR DOES ANY OF MY FAMILY, I VALUE TIME A LOT AT MY AGE, SO I AM KEEPING BUILDS TO LIKE 6 MOS. MAX AND SMALLER QUICKER PROJECTS JUST WHERE I AM AT, LAST 10 DAYS COULD HARDLY WALK KNEE PROBLEMS, IT IS GETTING BETTER, IF I WAS A CAR NEED A OVERHAUL, BUT THERE IS JESUES WHO HAS GIVEN ME SO MUCH. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
That puts things in perspective. At advanced age, there are so many things that make building difficult, and work on chores and things like car repairs and yard work fall behind so easily. I sympathize with your problems, and thank God you still get joy out of building, difficult as it is. Keep the faith, Donfarr.

Kurt

With regards to your comment Don about building something different. I remember you and I and a few other people were very keen on building the USS Mississippi, a sail and steam warship with side wheel paddles.

Thats a truely unique subject to build, but its a pity the plans and research was pulled by a 3rd party.

that is not true all the information you need are in the national archives. information on building the steam engine can be found on different forums and model engineering organizations. Plans and research are posted here on the forum nothing was "pulled"

it is all here

what you can not do is steal someone's CAD work and 3D modeling files but no one is stopping you from doing your own research, CAD design and 3D modeling.

HI BRYAN YOU BET A PITY PROBALLY NOT SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY,

that is not true because work on the model continues on 3 other forums 4 forums including this one.

plus i am here and the designer of the project and willing to help anyone who wants to build the Mississippi or any part of it.

so Bryian and don there is nothing or no one stopping you guys from researching ,designing, and building unique projects but yourselves.
If you want to invest a few thousand dollars in research, 100s of hours in CAD design, teach yourself 3D modeling it takes commitment, patience, learning, practice,

don't expect anyone to hand it to you on a silver platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back