DISPLAY CASES

AFTER MANY YEARS OF SEARCHING for display cases that i can afford, a member on SOS had a post do not remember who it was but THANK YOU VERY MUCH, it was the use of aquariums witch wit a wood base makes a great DISPLAY CASE, JUST PURCHASED A ONE FROM PETCO FOR $10.00, IT IS GLASS NOT PLEXIGLAS, QUICK QUESTION WHAT KIND OF GLUE TO USE TO HOLD IT DOWN TO THE WOOD BASE, the trim i think is some kind of plastic. THANKS LOADS SOS Don

Hi Don most aqariums are held together with clear silicon sealant. The trim on the outside just hides it.
I'l suggest rebating the base and using angle mounts drilled and bolted to base from underneath and clear epoxied to glass/ perspex up top.
That way its secured but can be removed when needed.

AFTER MANY YEARS OF SEARCHING for display cases that i can afford, a member on SOS had a post do not remember who it was but THANK YOU VERY MUCH, it was the use of aquariums witch wit a wood base makes a great DISPLAY CASE, JUST PURCHASED A ONE FROM PETCO FOR $10.00, IT IS GLASS NOT PLEXIGLAS, QUICK QUESTION WHAT KIND OF GLUE TO USE TO HOLD IT DOWN TO THE WOOD BASE, the trim i think is some kind of plastic. THANKS LOADS SOS Don
Hello Don. The idea is not to use glue at all! At some point, you want to open the case: just-in-case you may need a small repair or cleanup. You want to make a grove in the base so the glass case will go in. Take a look my sketch

IMG_1002.jpeg

KURT, I got mine at PETCO, THEY HAVE A LOT OF SELECTIONS THERE MORE IN THE STORE THE ONLINE, THEY HAD PLEXIGLASS ALSO BUT IN ODD SHAPES AN MUCH MORE EXPESIVE THEN THE GLASS I WILL SHOW A PICTURE ON WENSDAY AS I DO NOT WANT TO LIFT IT IT IS NOT THAT HEAVY BUT NOT ALLOWED TO LIFT IT HEALTH WISE, i am going to mount it on a piece of OAK Jim suggested to rote a grove a nd not use glue as this is a christmas gift i need glue it but not sure what kind of glue to use, also we can not find the router and my drmell roter will not worl=k on oak but i have thougt of another way to do this, but still did to use glue the trim is a hard plaastic piece so what type of glue to use, any help would be appreciated. THANKS Don

Tec 7.
This type of glue can glue just about anything. Just remember to degrease well with acetone before gluing. available in several colors.
If the glue is slightly inaccurate then you can straighten the edges with razor blades and soapy water.
Use masking tape to get nice edges.
It can certainly be purchased in the US.
tek 7 (1).jpgtek 7 (2).jpg

I found a museum case for sale on Craigslist.com today and purchased it for $160.00 US. It originally contained a pachycephalosaurus dinosaur head. It's a bit wide for the ship model, but a real bargain. Size 24 inches wide, 36 inches deep, 32 inches high, and 5 feet tall overall. The long drawers are covered in plexiglass and were used for fossils. I'm wondering what they could be used for. Perhaps I can make a four legged stand and used the chest of drawers for something else.

Case1.jpg

Last edited:
KURT, I got mine at PETCO, THEY HAVE A LOT OF SELECTIONS THERE MORE IN THE STORE THE ONLINE, THEY HAD PLEXIGLASS ALSO BUT IN ODD SHAPES AN MUCH MORE EXPESIVE THEN THE GLASS I WILL SHOW A PICTURE ON WENSDAY AS I DO NOT WANT TO LIFT IT IT IS NOT THAT HEAVY BUT NOT ALLOWED TO LIFT IT HEALTH WISE, i am going to mount it on a piece of OAK Jim suggested to rote a grove a nd not use glue as this is a christmas gift i need glue it but not sure what kind of glue to use, also we can not find the router and my drmell roter will not worl=k on oak but i have thougt of another way to do this, but still did to use glue the trim is a hard plaastic piece so what type of glue to use, any help would be appreciated. THANKS Don

I'll definitely look into Petco for the next case for HMS Sovereign of the Seas. What a great tip! They have custom cut plexiglass at a great price. Do you recommend 1/8" thick or go with 1/4" thick?

There are different solutions for sure but if you want to have the real McCoy and you are in or around Sydney, then the place to go is City West Plastics in Ryde. They are not cheap, but they do a tremendous job.
Janos

Back