Distractions

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

Ok, so this is General Discussion !!

I was wondering how many of you have distractions in your life that keep you from your ship building / hobbies, etc. ?
For instance, here are some of my distractions:
1) I am not retired, but work full time as Radio Tech PBS / NPR affiliate here in MS. When I get home, sometimes I am just busted (tired) and just don't want to do anything.
2) Fortunately, my wife does not put a lot of demands on me, but when she works late (comes in late from work), I have to stop what I am doing to cook.
3) My Mom has Dementia and I am trying to get her into a facility near by so they can take care of her. Of which in the meantime, I have to go to her house over the weekends to check on her, even though we have a sitter there during the week. I feel like I am on call 24/7 with that.

The point is that it is getting to the point that I can't "settle down" in my shop as I feel just any minute I will get a phone call or an Admiral thing to have to do.

I was wondering if it is just me or what --- the only way that I can feel free to work on my ship hobbies is to know that I will not be distracted (as for me it takes a lot of concentration and research). You don't just go into the shop and throw a bunch a parts together. I liken the hobby as an "Art". You get your paints set up on the palate, you got your canvas ready, you fill the knife or paint brush with wet paint,,,,the phone rings,,,someone is at the door. You can't put this down b/c the paint will dry on your brush.....

You get all set up to rig that very important line - you study the path that the Rope / line is going to take, measure out the Rope / Line, get your blocks set up and tie off your first knot and now you are ready to stretch the line out on its path to a belaying pin - dodging all the other lines and obstacles on the ship, with tweezers in hand, you finally get it all lined up just right and if you can manage to hold your body just in the right position, ........ the phone rings while you have your hands full and can not let go or you will have to start all over again. The dog starts whining needing to go out. on and on !!!

Am I the only one?
Donnie

Donnie
Trust me you are not alone. I will remember 2016 as the year of chaos. At 64 I thought I would be talking it easy now. What a joke. I don't have time to think. Ship modelling time takes a back seat to everything else. The best was October 9 when I rushed my daughter to emergency. She thought it was kidney stones. Hah. I'm holding her 8 pound "stone" now. He is my 7th grandchild. And shes a nurse. She had no clue she was pregnant. Relax Donnie. It will get better for you.

John

Well.... that sure is a cute "Little Big Guy" for sure !

Donnie

Hahaha, Donnie I know exactly where you are coming from. A couple of months ago I had a mid semester break and thought 'Great! I can do some work on the ship ANY ship! cleared the desk, tools were ready music was on then off and now I know what writers block is exept that was modellers block!
The thing is that when you have the time you can't and when you don't have the time the frustration grows exponentially, sound familiar?
Best Regards
Eric

John, you have a lovely grandson there, lets hope that he can forgo the smart phones and tablets and take up ship modelling instead, I'm sure he has a very qualified teacher/grandad in you.
Regards
Eric

Eric
Thanks for your comments. I fear for the youth of today. I wonder if our hobby will exist in 50 years. Everything has to be instant gratification. Putting in months / years on a model might not pass the grade. Oh well we have no control over that do we? Thx again

Donnie,

Nope your not alone. I’ve been retired many years, in between the “Honey Do’s” and the “Doctor Don’ts” I usually find a little time (not every day) to get back to the shipyard. Then it’s figure out where I left off or start something new. Usually halfway through that process the interruptions start. So the circle starts again.

Jan

Back