Double sided tape

Was just thinking about attaching my second hull layer. Would using double sided tape work? I have some Gorilla tape that seems to hold pretty damn strong on a couple of test pieces but I don't know how it would hold up over time.

Like I said I was just thinking, just curious if anyone has tried it. Any comment would be appreciated.

Hello, I would NEVER consider laying down the second planking with double-sided tape, in fact even the first layer! This tape is temporary solution and over years will lose adhesiveness. You are not repairing anything, you are building model. Imagine you will start rigging, and planking begins falling apart. :eek: Please consider glue as a permanent solution. There many different one to choose from.

Good luck

Hello, I would NEVER consider laying down the second planking with double-sided tape, in fact even the first layer! This tape is temporary solution and over years will lose adhesiveness. You are not repairing anything, you are building model. Imagine you will start rigging, and planking begins falling apart. :eek: Please consider glue as a permanent solution. There many different one to choose from.

Good luck
like I said it was just a thought.......was curious if anyone has tried it. Yes I am going to glue. I am always thinking of various ways to do things doesn't mean I will. There is never any harm in asking a question.

Hi friends, - please take it easy. These are just ideas - as a matter of fact, I was using some (very thin) double-sided tape on my Blandford scratch build. In this manner, I was using the tape on a glass surface with the plans and was using the double-sided tape to help hold the 7 parts of the frame together while the glue dried.
However, I was also quite amazed as to how strong the tape was - as a matter of fact, I had to use a single edge blade to remove the double-sided tape from the glass. It did not just peel off that easily.
Now, you all can excommunicate me - but I can say that the thought was tempting, to try it on something - even though I probably would not - but products like this are getting stronger all the time with newer types of adhesives. The point that I am making, it does become tempting to try things like this.
I was thinking that the last time I was planking that it would have been nice to have something like double-sided tape to HOLD the planking in place until I could nail it into place. The tape would NOT have to be at every bulkhead station, but just like maybe each third one. It can be a trick to hold a plank in place while you are either nailing or gluing it.
As a matter of fact, to carry this further, I needed to do some small millwork and I used a piece of this double-sided tape to stick the wood stock to the Mill Plate to mill. I was surprised as to how well it held, BUT, the piece did give way eventually to the pressure of the end mill. BUT< the problem was that I should have cleaned the Mill Plate with Acetone and made sure the wood stock had a nice clean surface and I might have gotten away with being able mill a simple piece of stock of wood without the use of clamps.
DISCLAIMER: This can be dangerous ---- Now, I would not in NO way to do this milling metal (with tape) or some heavy metal stock. This experiment was done on a very LIGHT piece of wood stock and the CUT was very shallow with VERY shallow passes - PLEASE do not try this if you have NO experience with Mills, etc.
To me, there is nothing wrong with experimenting with things as long as you are AWARE of limitations of yourself and the limitation of the equipment and limitations of the holding mechanism if it is clamps or tape.
One more thing while I am on the subject of milling. Yes, there are times that parts and things that need to be milled are of strange shapes and elaborate methods of securing the stock to the Milling Plate becomes an unusual feat. I have read from professional sources that in some cases the stock had to be glued or epoxied to another fixture so the fixture can be held down by clamps. In most cases, it takes much longer to SET up your project than the cut actually takes.
Ok, enough of my mini-lecture - hope no harm is done.

thank you for mentioning milling- I bought a proxxon last summer without any experience or prior knowledge . I've used it, but superficially. Not found any u-tube or other instructional videos- can you suggest any sources appropriate for mainly use with wood in small scale ,so I can realize its potential

THERE ARE MANY MEMBERS HERE THAT ARE RAL EXPERTS AT MILLING, I BOUGHT A DIFFERENT TYPE OF MILL THEN MOST MEMBERS FROM VANDA-LAY INDUSTRIES, i too had no prvious experience with mills and had been looking at this one for 2 years before getting it, the cost was the same as a proxxon long story to make it short i had a total of 60 emails to the owner asking how the Z axis worked he answered with 60 emails still could not figure it out NIGEL WHO POSTS HERE saw my plea and from 4,000 miles away having never seen the device after looking at the instructions got back to me and in one post 10 minutes latter had it worked out, so there are many experts to help you here. hope this helps Don

Stuglo, I will post a youtube of my milling when I find it. Please check back soon.

This is an example of Milling a Keel. I am using a downcut End Mill for wood/plastic as it is made for clean cutting on wood and will not leave fibers and fraying. I have used this a lot for milling things of wood for ship modeling. (not just the keel)

Last edited:
Thank you very much. This is exactly the kind of information I want. Trial and error rather the learning from others is frustrating and time consuming. Also I would need far more wood than I have to accommodate the waste from failures.

OK, so how much do this fine milling machines cost now a days.

Any recommended sources?

I have had interest in a small milling machine or lathe for ships and other woodworking projects.

I highly suggest sherline as they have a lathe and a milling machine all different sizes, cost, and also you can order it Metric or Imperial (inches). They have tons of accessories. The Sherline company is all they do is design and manufacture lathes and milling and CNC. This is what they specialize in. They do not source out their product. Every single thing is made in their California factory. I also suggest a "Package Deal" as it will come with all the necessary tools needed to get you starting working with wood or metal. I ordered the Lathe Package that included the Digital Read Out (DRO) and it is super nice. I also have the Mill Package as well.
www.sherline.com

Another lathe operation videos using Sherline. They do ship worldwide too.
Oh...sorry, I am not a movie star so the videos are very amateurish

I highly suggest sherline as they have a lathe and a milling machine all different sizes, cost, and also you can order it Metric or Imperial (inches). They have tons of accessories. The Sherline company is all they do is design and manufacture lathes and milling and CNC. This is what they specialize in. They do not source out their product. Every single thing is made in their California factory. I also suggest a "Package Deal" as it will come with all the necessary tools needed to get you starting working with wood or metal. I ordered the Lathe Package that included the Digital Read Out (DRO) and it is super nice. I also have the Mill Package as well.
www.sherline.com

Donnie,

I've learned so much from your posts. This is another example of a great, comprehensive tutorial. I don't know, but certainly would not be surprised to learn that you have educational/teaching background. You cover EVERYTHING, even the terminology, which teaches me to not just do what you do, but understand why you do it that way. So the next time I have a job that is not exact, but may be similar, I will understand the why to do it a certain way and apply that thinking to that effort.

Just excellent. Also, I know it takes much more time and effort to create a video to capture the processes you use. A sincere Thank You for taking the time to help teach those of us who do not YET have your level of knowledge, but hope to someday!

Ken

www.sherline.com

Thanks again. Pleases keep them coming.

Double sided tape...an interesting idea. The new tape versions indeed are stronger than in the past. The only real answer to the question lies in an experiment or two. Find a block of wood...curve one end like a blunt bow ship...apply some planking and see if it holds over time. My concern would be how well such tape would hold down planks with sharp bends as in many blunt end bows. Would the tape hold or would the plank lift? If you experiment let us know what you discover.

Back