Duke of York 1836, 1/96 scale built by neptune

88.jpg
I have finished the painting and have added the bowsprit and the rigging,

89.jpg
Looking down on the ship, I have also added the skids at the after end for the whale boats staorage,

90.jpg
close up of all the deck fittings attached,

91.jpg

John, I'm impressed with your model. I especially paid attention to your initial hull carving method. I don't see any sign as to how you kept the halves in register. Did you pin them or was it done by eye?
My intention is to do something similar to make vac-form bucks for a series of ships boats.

John, I'm impressed with your model. I especially paid attention to your initial hull carving method. I don't see any sign as to how you kept the halves in register. Did you pin them or was it done by eye?
My intention is to do something similar to make vac-form bucks for a series of ships boats.

Thank you very much for your nice comments, after carving both sides of the hull I glued the keel stem and stern post in place then carefully lined up the other side of the hull, on a couple of my other carved hulls i used small dowells, see pics below,

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

here is a link to the build log, hope this helps,

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/minnie-sims-fishing-cutter-1-48-scale.1264/

best regards John.

Thank you very much for your nice comments, after carving both sides of the hull I glued the keel stem and stern post in place then carefully lined up the other side of the hull, on a couple of my other carved hulls i used small dowells, see pics below,
Hello John, you made my day, Mon Amie! This is the exact same method I learn my ship modeling skills about half a century ago...Wow! I don't remember how many submarines I made: 100 or 1000... it is a great method to learn templates. And we have to prepare timber by hands using the classic plane. But I learn so many skills for al my life...Many thanks for sharing

Hello John, you made my day, Mon Amie! This is the exact same method I learn my ship modeling skills about half a century ago...Wow! I don't remember how many submarines I made: 100 or 1000... it is a great method to learn templates. And we have to prepare timber by hands using the classic plane. But I learn so many skills for al my life...Many thanks for sharing

Thank you Jim, back in the day, year's ago, approx 62 odd years, when I was just 12 there was no way we could afford Kit's so most of the time it was a case of having to carve a hull, sometimes the wood was nice and easy to carve and sometimes it was a pain in the ass, but it was a good learning process and well worth the effort,
Best regards Mon Ami,

Thank you, John.
I like your fishing cutter too.
I think the locating pegs are a well established practice and are a good idea.
Looking at your photo's; you have a spacer 'keel' between the two halves, a thought.....
That spacer could extend enough to be used to hold the assembly in a vice.

Back