• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Endeavour help

Joined
May 5, 2026
Messages
13
Points
8

Hello guys I am new to ship building andI am wondering if some one could assist me? I am looking at getting either the Occre or Artisania Endeavour. I am wondering if anyone has the kit in their collection unbuilt. I am wondering if they could measure the parts that make the keel up on both kits please? I am trying to get a gauge of the size of the kit instead of an overall size Thank you in advance
 
I like the OcCre kits, I own three of them, Montanes, Nuestra Senora del Pilar, and Albatross. I have build logs of the Montanes and Albatross on SOS, you can look at the Montanes build log, it is more detailed and I am continuing that build now. The Albatross I just posted recently and show the current state of that model with not as much details / photos as the Montanes has.

I have completed the Artansania Latina Scottish Maid, but have no logs for that and gave that model away when I moved from California. I also did a small kit of the Sharke, but that finished model was destroyed in one of my many moves in my life.

The OcCre kits have in my opion very good English instructions and include a color pamphlet showing photos of each step in the construction process. The included exotic wood and metal furnishings are of good quality with hardly any work to be done on the metal parts, (except for painting, if you are so inclined). The rigging instructions are clear and fairly easy to follow.

In matters of size, the Montanes finished model will be about 49" long, 39" in height, and 18" in width, (1250 X 910 x 470 mm. L H W).
 
I like the OcCre kits, I own three of them, Montanes, Nuestra Senora del Pilar, and Albatross. I have build logs of the Montanes and Albatross on SOS, you can look at the Montanes build log, it is more detailed and I am continuing that build now. The Albatross I just posted recently and show the current state of that model with not as much details / photos as the Montanes has.

I have completed the Artansania Latina Scottish Maid, but have no logs for that and gave that model away when I moved from California. I also did a small kit of the Sharke, but that finished model was destroyed in one of my many moves in my life.

The OcCre kits have in my opion very good English instructions and include a color pamphlet showing photos of each step in the construction process. The included exotic wood and metal furnishings are of good quality with hardly any work to be done on the metal parts, (except for painting, if you are so inclined). The rigging instructions are clear and fairly easy to follow.

In matters of size, the Montanes finished model will be about 49" long, 39" in height, and 18" in width, (1250 X 910 x 470 mm. L H W).
Thank you for the information mate ...... i am specifically looking at the Endeavour and the parts that make the keel up for both kits......I am trying to determine plans for a build i want to do but was hoping to use the kts as a base for parts
 
OcCre has a model kit of Endeavour, but it comes from overseas, but I have had great luck with Customer Service at OcCre.

 
I am new to ship building
As a newbie have you considered starting with something simpler and high quality instead? You probably have seen this posted here before but the 3 boat series designed by David Antscherl has been a great start for many folks. Just a thought. :)
Allan
 
As a newbie have you considered starting with something simpler and high quality instead? You probably have seen this posted here before but the 3 boat series designed by David Antscherl has been a great start for many folks. Just a thought. :)
Allan
thank you for the information whilst i am new to wooden ship kit building my model experience goes back 35 plus years with extensive scratch building etc in various other materials resin wood plastic metal etc i am always open to a new challenge and love a fast learning curve :)
 
Hi PVK380
Glad to hear you are a scratcher as well. If your heart is set on Endeavour, there are a number of contemporary drawings of her at RMG Collections that you can download for free. They are low resolution, but would be helpful. You can also purchase electronic copies of any of them in high res for a fair price. If high quality and accuracy are a high priority for you, also keep in mind after market suppliers for replacing things such as blocks, metal fittings, and her three boats.
Allan

Two examples of RMG's Endeavour drawings they date as 11 July 1768 These are to scale and can be used to size things such as the pintles and gudgeons that are completely wrong in size and number in the kits you mentioned.
1788430950877.png

1788430995341.png


Actual ship versus kit rudder pintles and gudgeons is one example of things that can be made realistic.
1788432682967.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Hi PVK380
Glad to hear you are a scratcher as well. If your heart is set on Endeavour, there are a number of contemporary drawings of her at RMG Collections that you can download for free. They are low resolution, but would be helpful. You can also purchase electronic copies of any of them in high res for a fair price. If high quality and accuracy are a high priority for you also keep in mind after market suppliers for replacing things such as blocks, metal fittings, and her three boats.
Allan

Two examples of RMG's Endeavour drawings they date as 11 July 1768
View attachment 631660

View attachment 631661
Thanks AlanKP69... I have these lovely drawings in my collection plus both Parks and Marquardts work as well ...... I am actually hoping to build an Endeavour just showing the ribs etc with no planking so you can see inside the ship..... I am after the measurements of the keels on both the Occre and AL kit so i can accurately get my build plans done to the correct scale.......... everything i have so far tells me that both kits advertised scales are out by miles which is a shame as i want to use parts from the kits to assist in the build ....... the only kit that comes close is the Caldercraft kit in scale correctness so far but its not big enough lol
 
Whatever way you decide to go, I hope you start a build log. I am fascinated with your idea of starting with a kit and then trying to fix all the mistakes. Kit bashing is common for replacing belaying pins, blocks, cannon, etc,, but what you propose to do is really interesting!
Allan
 
Whatever way you decide to go, I hope you start a build log. I am fascinated with your idea of starting with a kit and then trying to fix all the mistakes. Kit bashing is common for replacing belaying pins, blocks, cannon, etc,, but what you propose to do is really interesting!
Allan
Thanks mate …. I got the idea from looking at the AL kit of Victory and Surprise and looking at the kits coming out of China from Unicorn etc … i love the way they are with the detail etc there is a gentleman doing a 1/30 scratch Endeavour his work also gave me the inspiration so credit goes mostly to him he has helped me a bit … still a long way to go but should be fun
 
I am not sure if anyone has answered your original question. I have built the Ocre Endevour ( my first boat) and it was great. The only comments are that the thread used for the ropes is quite furry and the sails are oversized and don’t look great. The length of the keel from rear of the rudder to where the keel starts to go up at the bow is 48 cm. Best of luck
 
so just for the heck of it, I looked up information about both kits.
The AL kit shows a scale of 1/65 and lists it at total length of 815 mm.
The Occre kit lists the scale at 1/54 but also at 815 mm. :)
 
If you go on the AL website and look up Endeavour they have all the instructions online. It might be of some help. Looks like the keel may be pieced together. But the instructions have great photos.
 
I am not sure if anyone has answered your original question. I have built the Ocre Endevour ( my first boat) and it was great. The only comments are that the thread used for the ropes is quite furry and the sails are oversized and don’t look great. The length of the keel from rear of the rudder to where the keel starts to go up at the bow is 48 cm. Best of luck
Thank you for the answer mate appreciated i can work with that length using all the measurements i have............. using the meaurements i have worked on a scale converter etc the Occre kit is very close to 1/66 scale so smaller than advertised scale
 
Last edited:
so just for the heck of it, I looked up information about both kits.
The AL kit shows a scale of 1/65 and lists it at total length of 815 mm.
The Occre kit lists the scale at 1/54 but also at 815 mm. :)
Thanks mate the difference is what sent me on my search lol i was looking at both kits and i am like hmmm same measurement different scale and they werent even close when scaled out to the true dimensions of the ship.... the Occre kit is close to 1/65 scale not 1/54 hence why i am interested in AL kit keel length
 
Last edited:
Back
Top