English Cutter half hull 1:32 by MoStar

I have started the English Cutter half hull from the plans posted here by kohlndk. This will be a 3 firsts for me - a build log, a scratch build and a group build. However, don't expect this to progress very quickly as I have too many other things on the go - like working full time!

Here are the bulkheads all laid out on my plywood and the solid wood pieces laid out. I did not have any boxwood so used a piece of poplar. I guess we will see how that works out. For the support pieces I used some pine that I cut down to 1/4" thick. PXL_20210313_004210336.jpgpine.

PXL_20210313_005308677.jpg

Next I fastened a copy of the plans to a board and have sanded and dry fit the various solid wood pieces together. The picture makes my work look better than it is. :)PXL_20210423_235407235.jpg

Marked the bearding line and cut, chiseled and sanded the rabbit. I think I went too far forward on the lower stem piece. Suggestions on how to fix that other than cutting a new piece?

I have started to sand and fit all the bulkheads.PXL_20210510_034705629.jpg

It wont be long before I start using some glue.

WELCOME YOU ARE OFF TO A FINE START, I WILL POST SOME PROGRESS SOON, AS SOME OF YOU HAVE HEARDMY PROGNOSIS ON THE KNEES IS NOT GOOD, I WILL BE CONFINED TO A WHEEL CHAIR IN THE NEXT WEEK, BUT AS ALWAYS JHESUES IS THERE IT IS NOT AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS AS MY CHILDREN HAVE SAID ALL I AM DOING IS CHANGING ONE CHAIR FOR ANOTHER, AN ADAPTING SOME ROOMS, THE REASON FOR POSTING IS TO ASK ANYONE WHO HAS THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM, WHAT ARE SOME OF THE ADJUSTMENTS HAVE YOU MADE, TABLES, TOOLS, ANY AND ALL ITEMS WILL BE VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED., GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON

Hi MoStar, welcome to the group. Looks like a good start, the rabbit is a little too wide stem, for now you could try to match the width and depth you have in the keel when you extend the rabbit up for the upper planking. After the planking is in place if it looks bad at the joint a little wood filler will fix it. I do not think it will be noticeable if you just leave it as is. Good luck with the build.

Mike

Hi MoStar, welcome to the group. Looks like a good start, the rabbit is a little too wide stem, for now you could try to match the width and depth you have in the keel when you extend the rabbit up for the upper planking. After the planking is in place if it looks bad at the joint a little wood filler will fix it. I do not think it will be noticeable if you just leave it as is. Good luck with the build.

Mike
Thanks Mike, that is what I was thinking. I did make the rest of the rabbit the appropriate width on the upper stem.

I am happy, that one more modeler started a log of this interesting scratch build - I will follow with big interest

Next I fastened a copy of the plans to a board and have sanded and dry fit the various solid wood pieces together. The picture makes my work look better than it is. :)View attachment 235240

Marked the bearding line and cut, chiseled and sanded the rabbit. I think I went too far forward on the lower stem piece. Suggestions on how to fix that other than cutting a new piece?

I have started to sand and fit all the bulkheads.View attachment 235241

It wont be long before I start using some glue.
Welcome MoStar. You will find this an enjoyable project and it will seem to go quickly even with a full time job. Look forward to your posts. Aloha, MikeJ

I managed to spend a few minutes on the cutter. Glued the pieces to the plan, then dry fit all the bulkheads. I bought some balsa to fill in the bow and stern to support the planks,
PXL_20210613_233523465.jpg

Fairing is next, then the balsa.

I am not yet certain on what happens at the stern. There are 2 stern pieces and then three more. I am having a hard time seeing how the balsa support pieces will need to be shaped. (pieces are just sitting where I think they should go.)

PXL_20210613_233648454.jpg

I have started the English Cutter half hull from the plans posted here by kohlndk. This will be a 3 firsts for me - a build log, a scratch build and a group build. However, don't expect this to progress very quickly as I have too many other things on the go - like working full time!

Here are the bulkheads all laid out on my plywood and the solid wood pieces laid out. I did not have any boxwood so used a piece of poplar. I guess we will see how that works out. For the support pieces I used some pine that I cut down to 1/4" thick.
Hallo @MoStar
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the half hull model going? Are you still working on this model?

Last edited:
Thanks for the birthday wishes!

The half hull has been sitting on my workbench in the garage. Every once in a while I take a look at it and think that I better bevel those bulkheads a little more, but the little that I do is just not enough.

What I was spending time on was my old Bankert model. Pretty much ready to call it done. Decals are being an issue, and I need a nice piece of oak for a stand!bankerk1.jpg

Back