Filler

Go to your pharmacy store and ask for 3 ml syringe with a 1 1/2" x 1.2 mm needle. Those cost me a buck apiece so I bought 5. Using a water solubabale glue makes hot water cleaning periodicall of both the needle cover and the needle fairly simple to be used over and over. I did grind the point off for a flat end for general use but the sharp needle end works for filling narrow planking cracks for the over-sanding procedure. A thin wire can clean it out when the glue sets up in longer periods of not being used. The best solution to that was a set of fine reamers from Germany, a Broach Set of six, BRO-174.00, which are a square shape and

On metal but not on wood. I use Dap-Pink
I have used it on several projects using Bondo glazing and spot putty and the results are great. The putty drys fast and sands easily. The car Bondo could be used but it is hard to sand.

I'm pretty much new to wooden ship models so I can not say much about what to use as a filler. But I can say that I broke one planking. I left the part alone as it was pushed inside the hull but was hanging on by a little bit. So I filled it with glue first as to prime the wood. Then I mixed glue and sawdust and added it to the broken plank.

Attachments

• 20210501_132631.jpg
    20210501_132631.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210501_132942.jpg
    20210501_132942.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 12
Sounds more like it would make one big mess
Actually for small jobs like filling in gaps in the second planking or around gun port linings a dab a glue and some sawdust rubbed in with a finger and then sanded works perfectly--you don't need a syringe or anything fancy. The trick is timing the sanding right so the glue isn't too wet or dry and of course you want to rub or sand off any glue residue before varnishing.

Actually for small jobs like filling in gaps in the second planking or around gun port linings a dab a glue and some sawdust rubbed in with a finger and then sanded works perfectly--you don't need a syringe or anything fancy. The trick is timing the sanding right so the glue isn't too wet or dry and of course you want to rub or sand off any glue residue before varnishing.
An old trick from woodworking. To match the existing wood, you use a belt sander to grind a nice pile of sawdust. Then add wood glue to the dust. The trick is to use glue that dries clear, such as Elmers White glue, to minimize the darkening of the filler as you would experience with yellow glues.

Re syringes and needles
Why not ask your friendly doctor (they exist) and get some for free.
(Also dentists a useful for to-be-discarded instruments)

Back