Finally weathered my Gato

Super Nice - I would love to build one of these one day. I would like to add this to the gallery too.

Super Nice - I would love to build one of these one day. I would like to add this to the gallery too.
Sure, no problem. It was a fun project, even if I broke the periscopes about 4 times in handling it. :)

Your weathering is looking very good - not too much - exactly how I would imagine such a boat (often we see too much rust, although the ships were often very rusty - I heard once, that the battleship HMS Nelson, or was it the HMS Rodney, was the most ugliest and most rusty one - sorry for being off topic here)

Your weathering is looking very good - not too much - exactly how I would imagine such a boat (often we see too much rust, although the ships were often very rusty - I heard once, that the battleship HMS Nelson, or was it the HMS Rodney, was the most ugliest and most rusty one - sorry for being off topic here)
Yes, to be realistic, there should be at least some rust streaks. In my mind, this one looks more like a museum relic on dry land, with dirt and faded paint more evident than rust. I do think that many models, ships, planes, and tanks included, often look more like abandoned wrecks than anything maintained in actual service. Just personal preference, of course. Will consider dabbing some rust on this Gato sometime, but need to put it aside for other projects right now. Thanks for your comments!

By all means do it. Submarines have so little surface detail that finishing them is about the easiest modelling job you can do, and at this scale, it's quite satisfying in size and grandeur. EZ-PZ!

Depending on age in service, being a sub underwater most of time, you wouldn't see much sun fading, dirt and rust while in active service.

If modeling an out of service sub in museum or tied up in storage, then you would see a lot of normal weathering on topside. Bottoms don't rust, as you need air to rust most of time and bottom side collect other stuff on hull when sitting still in storage.

Agree with you completely. That's why I described this one's weathering as more appropriate for a museum specimen on dry land. Did go back and put some minor rust streaks on the topside, but haven't got around to any photos of that. I think we've seen enough of this model....

Back