First shroud deadeye

Venturing into the rigging of the Discovery1789. The first main and fore shrouds are served continually from top to bottom. Where the shroud goes around deadeye doers the serving go around it too, or does the serving end just before it reaches the deadeye. I can't seem to find a clear picture of this anywhere.
Hope that's clear.
Thanks

Hi Don,
Yes that first shroud gets served all along its length. This is due to the fact that there are many ways that that shroud can get chafed, especially by the yards when the ship is close-hauled. The shrouds were continually tightened as they stretched, sometimes as often as weekly in heavy weather, so the serving had to go to the end of the shroud's length. The groove in the #1 upper deadeye will have to be enlarged somewhat to take the larger diameter due to the serving.

Ted

If I'm looking at the picture right the serving stops between the third and fourth ratline so that means I have two different answers. If the purpose of the seizing is for is to save the sails from chafing is there a reason to extend it below the bottom of the sails?

And now Donnie has posted a tie breaker :)

The Young Sea Officers Sheet Anchor says that the fore shroud is served "to the end". I guess I can take that literally as I can't find another source. It gets very bulky around the deadeye though. I'm finding this attachment (shroud to deadeye) quite difficult and was looking for any way to make it easier.

It's not only the sails that can chafe; there are many running rigging lines that can cross and rub on the foremost shroud, as well as when the yards are raised and lowered (admittedly, not very often for the lower yards on large ships due to their weight). Note that the foremost shroud was served on the topmast shrouds, and even the topgallant mast shrouds on some ships.

I've been looking at Archjofo's build of La Creole. All I can say is Wow. However, it is French and the Discovery is English. Maybe a few differences.

Back