First time scratch build - POB Birema romana - Mantua blueprints

Hello, this is the first time I'm building a model ship. I decided to build one from scratch since I don't have anywhere to buy kits in my country.
I used plywood for bulkheads and veneer for hull planking.
I'm open to critic and suggestions, don't be harsh, it is my first time :D

20180812_230750.jpg20180812_230753.jpg20180812_230757.jpg20180816_203520.jpg20180816_203514.jpg20180827_203500.jpg20180827_210119.jpg20180827_212512.jpg20180827_213927.jpg

I'm open to critic and suggestions, don't be harsh, it is my first time
G'day modelibrodova
Welcome to SOS. Thank you for sharing your first time adventure in model ship building with us.
Firstly, you are doing a great job, but there are some pointer which might help you. This is far from being a criticism, but rather a guide.
The mask and yards. It would look better if you tapered the mask from thick at the base to tin at the top. Like wise with the yards. They should be tapered from tin at the end and thicker
at the middle.
20180918_212300.jpg
Your mask as you can see is the same as from the base to to the tip and the horizontal yard is also the same thickness.
Now compare to this photo
20180918_213519.jpg
You can see that the mask is tapered from the base and the tips. Also the horizontal yard is also tapered.
Hope this will show you the correct ways and I hope that you take my advice to you, as not as a criticism, but only as a friendly advice.
Happymodeling
Greg

Thank you for your advice Greg, it is very helpful, I appreciate it. I love to learn from people who have more experience in this than me, hope I will be able to on day give advices to others. And thank you for your welcome also ;)

You are welcome mate. It as always nice when a person responded to advice in a positive way, rather than being put off.
I know one day you will be able to give advice to other newbies. I've been making model since I was about 8 and started in the wooden scene about 21 or so. I'll be 61 in December, so I've had some experience. But I'm still learning.
Happymodeling
Greg

Your doing fine Brother. I wouldn't worry to much for a first model you will find that just getting one done will be pleasing enough to your soul that you'll want to do more. Read as much about the subject as you can and visit the other forum members Builds for some pictures of how folks do things. Ask questions the only stupid question is one that goes un asked. We are all here to help you and you'll find we are all kind folks.

When I first started out I created several files on my desktop one called Ships I placed pictures of builds and real ships in that folder Then I created another called Planking I put pictures in that one of others Planking Progress and finished planking the last folder I created was called Rigging In that folder I put pictures of real ship rigging as well as rigging progress and finished rigging from model builds. before long I had a great wealth of reference Material I could go look back on. I learned better ways of doing things as well as better looking ways down to some extremely detailed work. I still have those files along with a few more for Jigs and tools that make the whole process easier. so while your waiting on glue to dry brows the forums go to google type in Model Planking techniques, Rigging model ships, Detailing Model ships and so on. I have been through just about every link that has Popped up and I saved a ton of information for future reference.

Looking forward to more Progress from your build

You are fortunate not having access to kits. You have nothing to restrict you, or hold you back. You have the freedom to build whatever you want, subject to finding plans, and there are lots of them online or in books. Bob

You are fortunate not having access to kits. You have nothing to restrict you, or hold you back. You have the freedom to build whatever you want, subject to finding plans, and there are lots of them online or in books. Bob
This is very true. Kits offer an everything all in one box build so they are good for building Exp. But If you can scratch build right off the Bat your well ahead of the game. Some folks will give you the old plans from kits when they are done with them. you can look over those plans and make alterations that weren't in the model, but very much part of the actual ship they represent.

Back