First time ship builder......

Hello to all - I'm Allan and I am currently building my first wooden model ship. The kit I chose to dive into is HMS Fly from Victory Models. So far I am 3 years int the build although I have had some lengthy breaks away from it. I did start a Facebook page to log the build, so if any of you want to have a look here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/hmsfly/ . I will get around to posting some pics here on Ships of Scale. the sharp eyed amongst you will spot I have made a few mistakes and exercised a bit of "kit bashing". It's very much a kitchen table build and I only have a meagre collection of hand tools - files, hobby knifes and the usual collection of clamps/vices etc,. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

G'day Allan
Welcome to our family of modelers, SOS.
Wow! For a first wooden model? This is absolutely magnificent!
20180908_025744.jpg
What more can I say, to.ke that is a standard of a seasoned modeler!
Could you please do a build log and explain in your own words how you did this ecordanaty model.
Looking forward to reading it.
Happymodeling
Greg

Nice. Tnx for sharing. Love the wood collor of the hull. What kind of wood is it?

Nice. Tnx for sharing. Love the wood collor of the hull. What kind of wood is it?
The wood is walnut planking. Once it was fitted and sandedI gave it a few coats of matt varnish. I prefer the wood finish rather than the white hull as shown in the stock pics of the kit.

The wood is walnut planking. Once it was fitted and sandedI gave it a few coats of matt varnish. I prefer the wood finish rather than the white hull as shown in the stock pics of the kit.
Hmmm. Are you sure it is walnut, it looks more like an oak type of wood, if you ask me. Walnut is normally quite dark as a whole, but you can get some lighter pieces, but not too much.
That's my impression anyway.
The whole model looks amazing.
Well done
Greg

Awesome Exclamation-MarkExclamation-Mark

Maybe I should take up another hobby. Like helping my wife make jewelry and beads to wear. I can convince myself that this is still some form of rigging....:eek:

Hello to all - I'm Allan and I am currently building my first wooden model ship. The kit I chose to dive into is HMS Fly from Victory Models. So far I am 3 years int the build although I have had some lengthy breaks away from it. I did start a Facebook page to log the build, so if any of you want to have a look here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/hmsfly/ . I will get around to posting some pics here on Ships of Scale. the sharp eyed amongst you will spot I have made a few mistakes and exercised a bit of "kit bashing". It's very much a kitchen table build and I only have a meagre collection of hand tools - files, hobby knifes and the usual collection of clamps/vices etc,. Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Hallo @Allan.P
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Welcome Allan
I too am building my first model and can only hope I will be able to reach the level you have achieved!
Herman

Hallo @Allan.P
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back