Forest Gump's Jenny - 1:60 Lindberg Shrimp Boat [COMPLETED BUILD]

Making progress with the rigging. I debated whether to add the net doors to the boat or leave them off. In the movie, the net doors are not visible except a quick shot after the storm as they're coming into port. I went ahead and placed them on boat. I added the chains to the doors and connected them to the outrigger lines. Next step will be the netting.

96364143_241749163751472_8795549455441985536_n.jpg

96259395_699060240910394_7780061260720111616_n.jpg

96402794_614236402504507_8516731427105013760_n.jpg

96519652_581619635814565_5158004728902189056_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have finally reached the end on my 'Jenny' build using Lindberg's 1:60 scale shrimp boat. Finished with all of my rigging. The netting is tulle that was dyed a dark green. I tied line around the netting and sowed the red 3mm beads (floats) to the seam (tickle chain) in the tulle. The netting is attached to the drag doors on each side of boat. Forest is at the helm in the stern section of the boat. Lt. Dan is sitting atop the boom holding on to his support rope.
A big thanks goes out to my very talented wife, Chris, for creating Lt. Dan's wheelchair that is at the stern of boat. She makes jewelry, creepy dolls and castles.
The boat's base is a fishing cage that is made from wooden sticks that were glued to a black sheet of styrene. This hides the coin battery and on/off switch. There is a 3mm LED light by Evans Design to illuminate the cabin. I plan on mounting the cage to a piece of stained wood for my base.
I used a couple film stills as my reference on this build. That, and I have no idea how many times I watched the boat scenes from the movie. I feel that I have accomplished what I set out to build. I wish to thank my wife for her help and to everyone who has followed along and offered support and interest in this kit. Cheers and on to my next project!!!
100876555_1319947894876448_6234085463242571776_n.jpg100073608_1124257901272994_8695925451333304320_n.jpg100741606_289120158919228_5407119021118062592_n.jpg

Thumbs-Up Congrats on your big accomplishment! Jenny looks awesome! Thumbs-Up With your build model, you just have another proof that it doesn't have to be a three-masted wooden ship to be a gorgeous model! Well made @Fright. Be sure to submit photos to our Contributor finished model section.

Now...you know I will ask you, what is next, do you have anything in mind?

Great build and love the added details, hardly looks like the original plastic kit.

You might PM @Donnie some of your completed photos for him to post in the Contributors Gallery with other finished builds.

Wow! She really looks like an authentic working vessel. The detail and personal creativity are amazing! Just looking at it takes me back to many family vacations to the Outer Banks areas of North Carolina.

As I mentioned previously, I will soon be starting this same kit. So, your finished project, for me, is as timely as it is inspiring.

Again, great job!

Great model - very realistic with all the details and the weathering - Congratulations Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up

Thumbs-Up Congrats on your big accomplishment! Jenny looks awesome! Thumbs-Up With your build model, you just have another proof that it doesn't have to be a three-masted wooden ship to be a gorgeous model! Well made @Fright. Be sure to submit photos to our Contributor finished model section.

Now...you know I will ask you, what is next, do you have anything in mind?

Jim - I was going to start work on the Sultana steamship but I have decided to build Revell's 1:72 B-17G instead. I'll try to shorten my 'why'. When I was young, I wanted to change my last name to Richards but kept my original last name of O'Shaunnessy. Years went by and in 2007 I underwent a liver transplant and almost didn't make it. While I was in I.C.U. and out of my head, my wife and nurses later told me that I would repeatedly say things like 'the ship is on fire' and 'we've got to get the men out'. After 3 months in the hospital and returning home, I suddenly experienced a vivid dream that I was an American assigned to a B-17 Group in England during WWll near a university. They would be so vivid that I made drawings of my dreams. In 2017 I underwent surgery and, once again, I was calling out to 'save the men' and 'ships on fire". I went on Google map and searched for AAF bases in England. I came across Ridgewell, England where the 381st BG was stationed. Cambridge University is not far from the base. I started to go thru B-17 records of planes at Ridgewell and finally came across B-17G # 42-107088. Out of all of the planes, there was a Richard H. Richards, age 19, Navigator listed. On June 19, 1944 the plane took a direct hit to the right wing over Beaurdoux France. The plane was on fire and crashed. Only 2 men survived. The rest, including Richards, died . Richards was able to be identified and is buried in Enginal, France. Richards was 5'11'' with blond hair and blue eyes and weighed 150lbs. The rest of the crew were burned beyond recognition. I find this an incredible creepy experience. I am also 5'11", Blond hair and blue eyes and now way 170lbs. I know this all sounds bonkers but this is why I wish to build a B-17G.

Last edited:
I extend my gratitude to everyone who have followed along on my Jenny. Your comments and suggestions were an inspiration for me and, since I joined SOS, it has helped me move forward with my modeling skills. Uwek, Kkonrath, Donnie, Jimsky, DocBlake, JArthurD, CiCiak35 and to many others, I say Thanks! Here's to our next projects. Ship-1

Wish you luck on the Fortress, a G model should look nice done in wartime paint.

I have a kit, think 1:48 Visible Flying Fortress, with one side of fuselage done in clear to see insides. In storage with many other for "sometime in the future"

It sails thru the air, maybe do a build log in the other category on the forums!

Wish you luck on the Fortress, a G model should look nice done in wartime paint.

I have a kit, think 1:48 Visible Flying Fortress, with one side of fuselage done in clear to see insides. In storage with many other for "sometime in the future"

It sails thru the air, maybe do a build log in the other category on the forums!

Thanks! I prefer the Olive Drab and lt. Grey paint jobs also but in doing research on this particular plane, it was built at Douglas-Long Beach and, by 1944, the AAF decided to keep them a natural aluminum. It had the Red tail with the L in triangle for the 381st BG. As for your model, Wow! I looked it up online and it's an old Monogram kit. Nice stash you have.

Hello Rob,

It is a great story of yours! It is amazing how many stories behind each of our members. Many thanks for sharing with us.

No matter what you will decide to build as your next project, we will support you! :)

Jim - I was going to start work on the Sultana steamship but I have decided to build Revell's 1:72 B-17G instead. I'll try to shorten my 'why'. When I was young, I wanted to change my last name to Richards but kept my original last name of O'Shaunnessy. Years went by and in 2007 I underwent a liver transplant and almost didn't make it. While I was in I.C.U. and out of my head, my wife and nurses later told me that I would repeatedly say things like 'the ship is on fire' and 'we've got to get the men out'. After 3 months in the hospital and returning home, I suddenly experienced a vivid dream that I was an American assigned to a B-17 Group in England during WWll near a university. They would be so vivid that I made drawings of my dreams. In 2017 I underwent surgery and, once again, I was calling out to 'save the men' and 'ships on fire". I went on Google map and searched for AAF bases in England. I came across Ridgewell, England where the 381st BG was stationed. Cambridge University is not far from the base. I started to go thru B-17 records of planes at Ridgewell and finally came across B-17G # 42-107088. Out of all of the planes, there was a Richard H. Richards, age 19, Navigator listed. On June 19, 1944 the plane took a direct hit to the right wing over Beaurdoux France. The plane was on fire and crashed. Only 2 men survived. The rest, including Richards, died . Richards was able to be identified and is buried in Enginal, France. Richards was 5'11'' with blond hair and blue eyes and weighed 150lbs. The rest of the crew were burned beyond recognition. I find this an incredible creepy experience. I am also 5'11", Blond hair and blue eyes and now way 170lbs. I know this all sounds bonkers but this is why I wish to build a B-17G.
Many Thanks for sharing with us this very special and fully understandable reason ..... hope to see a building log in our area for "Other modeling" - would be great to follow

Back