French ship cannons, 36pdr, 1779 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I am not sure if the plan drawing is to show all tackle and not in a sequence for firing where I would think that some would be slack. . . say for firing recoil which if the side outhauls are taut they could be broken, for which I wonder if that is the function of the large cable through the carriage to restrain. Then with the gun back inside and loaded the outhaul tackles out come into play. A sequenced firing series of drawings or video could clarify this for me. It is a very well executed model though and well presented in the gun station. Rich (PT-2)

Good day,
I asked about quantity of the tackles, one pair or two?
necessary to serve the gun in action/ roll it in- roll out for recoil, just because I read somewhere, but now dodn't remembercwhere anymore...:)...
that they used to use one pair...for which is logicaly arrangements made on gun carriage - each tackle equiped with fast detachable hooks...
Everything personal need to do - jast changing position where to attach corresponding tackles hooks - for roll in or roll gun out for firing...
During firing I guess tackles need to be disangaged from the board side to avoid damage them , or considerable slack need to be given...
Using only two tackles for carriage service also reducing mess of ropes and blocks around gun carriage during fighting/ battle... can you imagine how it looks like inside wooden vessel on the gun deck during battle, hot,noise,smoke,blood ,crowded narrow spaces ... !
On the drawing ,there could be just shown all available variants ,how these tackles could be used, thats why they shown - 4 pcs.
All above,just my suggestions... :)

Last edited:
Oops, my suggestions are wrong, I found this very informative article

Oops, my suggestions are wrong, I found this very informative article
A couple of thougts added: I believe that a 32 pounder weighed about 5 tons which would require some heavy wedged lifting. shoving by the hand pikes rotating the carriage for angled shots. I also doubt that gun ports would be closed as success in gun battles depended upon the highest rate of fire which would eliminate that type of added time/action. As to loose coils on the deck those would most likely be exactly what was necessary for the first shot and all following to keep the lines clear of being rolled over by the carriage when recoiling from firing. Just for consideration as to how a model presentation could be done. It is a great gun station model in any regard. Rich (PT-2)

Ups, meine Vorschläge sind falsch, ich fand diesen sehr informativen Artikel

7.040#.jpg

A couple of thougts added: I believe that a 32 pounder weighed about 5 tons which would require some heavy wedged lifting. shoving by the hand pikes rotating the carriage for angled shots. I also doubt that gun ports would be closed as success in gun battles depended upon the highest rate of fire which would eliminate that type of added time/action. As to loose coils on the deck those would most likely be exactly what was necessary for the first shot and all following to keep the lines clear of being rolled over by the carriage when recoiling from firing. Just for consideration as to how a model presentation could be done. It is a great gun station model in any regard. Rich (PT-2)
3.jpg

Back