French war-ship Saint-Philippe 1693 - scale 1/72 - from Lemineur monograph

Happy Birthday
Excellent work as allways. I was thinking about gun carriages to my 118-liner and for lower guns this is wonderful solution.
Good luck with other 28

Colour of low battery guns

The low battery of the Saint Philippe is the only bronze one of the ship, which poses the problem of its color. Indeed, bronze contains copper, which can give several varieties of grey green by corrosion in a wet environment

To summarize, in the presence of water charged in CO², the grey green formed is copper hydro-carbonate, which shoots frankly on the grey-green, as its name indicates. In contrast, in the marine environment, salt from spray forms a copper chloride, which rather pulls on the greenish-brown

For model making, there is the possibility to soak the cannons in water with added cooking salt, and vinegar to accelerate the reaction, which is nevertheless very slow. or ammonia vapours (faster, but very toxic)

There is also the satin paint, with an exact color difficult to find

Finally, it remains the solution to allow the natural aging of the brass, which will brown slightly over time, and lose all alone its glittering aspect :

Bateaux B.jpg

For other batteries, iron made, the classic tourmaline, or browner, works well and fairly quickly since brass is an alloy containing zinc that blackens on contact with selenium salts (a bath of fifteen minutes is enough to blacken the brass)

I admit that I do not know what to do, since the model is made of natural wood, I am wary of painted or stained accessories

I’m interested in your opinion

Thank you in advance

Hello Christian!

There are many model builders who do not like shiny brass metal parts on their models. Each brass part is painted or burnished black. For some time now, I have also been burnish most of the brass parts black and polish the parts of the matt black coating with a cloth so that the brass shines through again.

The paint can peel off on painted parts, and on brass parts that have been burnished for too long, the patina can also peel off. That's why I only burnish for a short time and let cannon barrels age themselves over time (whether iron or bronze barrels). In this way, they can be glued well and held securely on the carriage. A durable darkening of brass happens over the years by itself. Everyone who cleans their brass chandeliers at home over and over again knows this.

Ultimately, it's a matter of taste and everyone has their own recipes.

Have a great Easter!
Thomas

Last edited:
Very good progress - this is the problem with a ship of the line model -> these models have so much guns!

I would suggest to make one or two small adjustments.

1) red arrow
- this small ring would not be on a muzzle - better I never saw such a small ring at the front end
check it please - I guss you can sand it away easily

2) green lines
the gun is looking big in the relatively small gunport - maybe you can sand also the inner port lining slightly -> with this the gun would have a little bit more space

Bateaux E.jpg

This gun is a Mantua low quality piece, just sacrified for my color test, the true comes from better fabrication, look at last pic of message #582

The dimensions of guns and gun-ports are those of monograph (I use always photocopies of plans for the built of details at exact scale)

Evently, I can sand some inner lines as you suggest it :)

Back