Garboard Plank

Readers might like to know that I had the pleasure to meet-up with the late Jim Roberts when I visited New York from Hong Kong in 1996. He had previously mentioned, in the first ship-modellers 'lList', laser wood-cutting technology for model kit parts and we discussed an HMS Surprise kit venture - with the production process based in China. After meeting in Manhatten bar for some Navy talk (Jim was a former submariner) he later invited me to his home to meet his wife for a family supper and he showed me some of his models. He also very kindly gave me a copy of his excellent, very well-written book which covers all aspects of hull and deck planking, with clear diagrams and which also included practical advice on finishing methods. I treasure it to this day.

He went into some detail to answer my questions about lining-out the garboard strake. He recommended two lengths of planking stock glued edge-wise and to the length from stem to stern at the keel rabbet. Then trim/spile the 'upper' - ie the sheer-side plank- to its narrowest at the stem (as shown in Gennaro's photo above) and thence marking and cutting a fair line to the broadest width (ie two-plank width) at the stern-post. Spile and lay the remaining planks as required.
The KISS Method is always best!
Rest in Peace, Jim.

Hello Sparky, It is totally understandable. You may avoid most of frustrations if you better understand the entire process. We always wanted to get our hands dirty with buildin
g, but a much feasible way to learn it first. There are many books out there to teach you planking, below one of them and I consider it as the primer. It is really tiny and cost symbolic price...but you will understand the process of planking and can apply to your model.

you may find even a better price (used) :)
Thank you for the recommendation...
Received the Planking-The-Built-up-Ship-Model-By-Jim-Roberts- today. Reading it, a lot to digest.

Remember my point. There are many methods for planking a ship and everyone things theirs is right. They are all similar but not the same. Settle on one and stick with it. This is a case where too much research will get you confused.

Can someone tell me how far down is garbour strake from the edge of the keel at the stern?

Not sure on trim the Garboard plank? I soaked the plank and placed on the bulkheads to get the shape. Question is to I cut the plank where the arrows are pointing to?View attachment 143483
I think it is too steep. It will wind up crowding all the other planks. You should probably cut it lower than what you are showing with the arrows. It should be a straight line.

Back