• You can now visit "The New Contributors Gallery Pages" to view over 200 ships online. Please PM (Private Message) Donnie your images. We will then create your very own page with your ship images. Please see the Guidelines for submission.

Gato Submarine - Revell 1:72

Fright

Here are a few pictures of my 1st model ship build back in 2011. My father-in-law served aboard 3 submarines, the USS Halfbeak, the USS Atule and the USS Crevalle, and purchased this kit in hopes to build. He passed away before he opened the box and my wife and I inherited this kit along with a 33' Yorktown sailboat! LOL We eventually sold the sailboat when we moved across country but I thought I would try to build this boat in his memory.

I found this kit pretty impressive with it's detail and pretty massive in it's size! I did take pictures while building this boat but did not keep a really detailed log of any kind. I did read up on subs and the crews that served aboard them and I guess this is how I got hooked on ships. After I started working on this kit, I decided I would also try my hand at weathering to make her 'feel' like she was at sea. I used oil pastels, graphite and watercolors to get my effect. He also told me about a time when he was on night watch in the North Atlantic when a large wave broke over the sail and broke his nose against the rail from the force of the wave. I added CMK's Gato sub crew to show him on watch. I used a .011 Super Slinky guitar string for my railing instead of using the thread that came with the kit.

After this kit was completed, I now have a love for ships. I am currently working on my 4th model, that being a wooden kit. I am coming along with learning new skills and I look forward to new challenges that lie ahead.

DSCN1709 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1707.JPG

DSCN1725 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1735.JPG

DSCN1750 - Copy.JPG

DSCN1751.JPG

Fright

This is a very large kit. For a first model of any type, you did a great job!!
Thanks Mike - she comes out to 52" in length. I'm glad I had this scale as a 1st build - my 2nd ship was 1:350 scale and I found it a little hard in that scale. ;) Old age is sneaking up on my eyes, even with a magnifier!

Graham

Very nice build, Robert. Anyone who served on subs demands great respect - I certainly could not do it. My first wooden ship build was to finish one my Dad had only just started before he passed away and it brought back a lot of nice memories of us building together when I was a kid.

Anchorman

Very nice build. I am with Graham, it takes a special kind to work in a submarine. Fantastic tribute to your father in law.

Fright

1st off, I'd like to thank all of you for your comments on this kit. Revell did a great job with this model. It really was a 'special' build for me seeing how it was a tribute to my father-in-law and also as my 1st model build since AMT kits from 1962. I learned quite a bit about submarines building this kit and have a great respect for anyone that can be 'sealed' in one of these for months on end! Cheers!

Last edited:

Donnie

Systems Administrator
Staff member
Systems Administrator
Blandford Group Build

WOW - very nice - very realistic !

Fright

Superb build. I hope you post another model on the forum soon.
Many thanks, Brian077 I worked on this on & off for about 1 year. Towards the end I decided I'd try my hand at weathering. I used pastels, water colors, and graphite to get my effect. For my 1st build, I am happy she turned out like she did. I had visions that I'd ruin this boat when I first started ;)

Fright

Very nice build, Robert. Anyone who served on subs demands great respect - I certainly could not do it. My first wooden ship build was to finish one my Dad had only just started before he passed away and it brought back a lot of nice memories of us building together when I was a kid.
Thank you, Graham for the compliment on this one. You are right about bringing back memories of our dads. My 2nd build was the SS John W Brown liberty ship to remind me of my father, who shipped out of San Francisco on the USS General T.H. Bliss Squire-class transport ship on his way to the South Pacific in WWll. Here's to our father's Cheers!!!

Fright

Very nice build. I am with Graham, it takes a special kind to work in a submarine. Fantastic tribute to your father in law.
Anchorman - I thank you for your comment about the men on board these 'boats' and to our fathers. Cheers!