Geobukseon Known as Turtle ship (a Korean battleship) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi all

As I mentioned at the end of my Pegasus thread, my next building will be a ship known Globaly as the Turtle Ship.

Below is a copy of the first paragraph in Wikipedia. I will post link for those who would like to learn about it.

If a SOS member happens to have pictures or drawing of the interior of this ships or period ships, I will appreciate them very much !!!!! . There are very few and I wasn't able to find one , for example, the cooking area.

The kit I am going to build shows the interior and I would like to add details.

Here we go :

A Geobukseon (Korean: 거북선, Korean pronunciation: [kʌbuksən]), also known as turtle ship in western descriptions, was a type of large Korean warship that was used intermittently by the Royal Korean Navy during the Joseon dynasty from the early 15th century up until the 19th century. It was used alongside the panokseon warships in the fight against invading Japanese naval ships. The ship's name derives from its protective shell-like covering.[1] One of a number of pre-industrial armoured ships developed in Europe and in East Asia, this design has been described by some as the first armored ship in the world.[2]

Enough links to read for now :)

Let start this thread.....

Last edited:
This is the kit
20210427_160828.jpg20210427_160853.jpg20210427_160903.jpg20210427_160919.jpg20210427_161002.jpg

20210427_161416.jpg

Wood is a lot of pine. I do not like it. But for this kit will be fine. I though in changing all it but at the end I decided that will make the Kit too expensive. It will be also a lot of work too. And I wanted after Pegasus a much easier built to relax a little.

Manual is in 3 languages. One is English. Also have some nice pictures. So far so good as it is.

Last edited:
I was going to ask a friend in the Army stationed over there to take pictures....was planning that towards the end of the summer. I just popped a request to a Korean modeler buddy of mine. I might be able to get some pictures quicker.

I recommend that you watch the movie: Admiral: Roaring Currents, the only turtle ship in it burns down in 'dry dock' but there are some awesome battle scenes from inside the ships of that time. The movie is on Amazon.

Fantastic. Those pictures or period pictures of the inside of these ship will help a lot.

During my search I saw the the trailer for the Admiral. Looks very interesting. Thank you for the tip where to find it.

Best
Daniel

He just sent me this link:

Google can translate it to English for you.

Ordered the movie

Reactions: PGN
Hi this is an unusual choice of model it looks very interesting. I have seen your other builds, very high standard and unique ships. It's good to see different models being made. I'll be following this one from the beginning although by the look of your progress it may be a quick build.
Tony

Hi this is an unusual choice of model it looks very interesting. I have seen your other builds, very high standard and unique ships. It's good to see different models being made. I'll be following this one from the beginning although by the look of your progress it may be a quick build.
Tony

Thank you Tony for the nice comments !!

Please feel free to comment and to ask questions.

Best !!
Daniel

GREAT - the work on the turtle ship started !!!
I will follow with big interest :cool:

Shaping up nicely. After Pegasus you'll build this one blindfolded in no time. So, what's the next build? :)

Shaping up nicely. After Pegasus you'll build this one blindfolded in no time. So, what's the next build? :)

Thank you !!!!

Royal Caroline 1:50. China Kit. I have ordered the pear wood carvings already.

Jeronimo pushed me when he posted the pictures of his RC POF on my Pegasus thread. That is an AMAZING model job what he did.

Mine will be POB , but instead of the resin carving I will use the same pear carvings as Jeronimo. If you haven't seen his thread, search it, easy to find by his name. You will be astonished.

Cheers
Daniel

Cheers !!!
Daniel

If you are thinking if I will plank the deck,, the answer is No.

Before installing the side beams all along the deck, I asked myself a lot "to plank or not to plank" :).

The decision was that the laser planks looked fine for this model and for what I want to achieve with it. So, I am not going to plank the deck.

Cheers
Daniel

Back