Glutton for punishment

Hi all,
I haven't been here for some time because I have not been doing any building, too much other stuff going on the past year and a half. Well that all changed yesterday when I ordered the Sovereign of the Seas by Mantua/Sergel. Hopefully it will be delivered tomorrow and I can get back to model ship making, of pulling my hair out, getting slightly frustrated and in general havint fun :). I will try and publish some phots as I go along with the build, but I think that this is going to be an extremely long process.
Let the fun begin!!
Joe

Thanks for the welcomes. Gary when are you starting the SoS? Thanks to a member on the Model Ship Forum I was able to download a whole detailed picture album (131 photos) of his build which is going to help greatly where the plans may be a bit vague.
Joe

I have all the rigging to do on La Soleil Royal and will take me through May to finish. I know that the back end carvings are wrong on Mantua's Sovereign and Amati has a set of fitting that are in the same scale that has the correct back end. I ordered that and their fittings are great. The books that show how to rig it properly are cover in Lee's book on "Masting and Rigging". The book by James Sephton called the "Sovereign of the Seas" discuss all parts of the ships and describe all the filigree. Anderson's "17 Century Rigging" is helpful. So is Mondfeld's "Historic Ship Models" book.
I have used the last 2 to do the rigging on my current model.

Well, hello Joe - This is great, the Sovereign of the Seas. Man I would love to be able to start on this one.

Back