Golden Hind by Occre 1:85

Thanks, yes I made a few changes. Brass stairs just didn't seem right either so I made wooden ones. Also beware the grate is too wide, I cut it narrower but I should have made it smaller still. It leaves very little room for the guns.
Yeah I noticed the grating is very wide in the pictures on their site good thing I have some thinner ones I'm planning on using. And a darker wood too. I'm going to try to follow it to the one they have on display

Time for an update. Most of the hull and fittings are complete so I decided to do some work on the masts. I'm thinking of doing as much as I can on the bench so to speak, before mounting it. I am toying with the idea of completing the upper ratlines and furled sails before mounting the mast in place. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make furled sails look realistic?

Attachments

• IMG_9539.JPG
    IMG_9539.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9540.JPG
    IMG_9540.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9541.JPG
    IMG_9541.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 20
Its been a while since I updated. I tried my hand at carving for the first time rather than use the Occre cut out. Overall i'm ok with it for the first attempt although I think my Golden Hind looks more like a dog. I started doing my favorite part. Ratlines. I'm doing one mast at a time to try to break up the monotomy of tieing knots althoughI did find weaving a piece of 1x5mm helps me keep everything straight. I would be interested to hear of any one has some ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_9550.JPG
    IMG_9550.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9545.JPG
    IMG_9545.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9543.JPG
    IMG_9543.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 10
I am currently waiting, ( not very patiently) for this model to arrive so I thought I would use some time to find my way around the computer side of things.
This will be my first build log and I am no expert builder so any input, advice, and tips would be greatly appreciated. Why the Golden Hind you may ask.
Well I just finished reading ,"The secret voyage of Sir Francis Drake" by Samuel Bawlf and was intrigued by this ship that sailed around the world from 1577 to 1580 so decided to build it.
In the meantime here I sit waiting for the Fed Ex man to arrive. Hopefully I will be updating this log in not the too far distant future.
Hallo @Hammer
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Time for an update. Occre supply this kit with brass stairs which didn't seem right so I made 3 sets of wooden ones which I always have problems making. It took 3 attempts but settled on the one seen. Most of the painting has gone fairly well, I may try my hand at some carvings which will be a first for me. Any tips would be appreciated.
Ref. image 9532. I didn't know 'Mucky Don's' was around in the 16C. ROTF
I am building Mamoli/Dusek Golden Hind, also with horrible paper stick-on deco., so am planning on my own design!

Back