Great rigging rope supplier.

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi guys,
my usual block and rigging rope supplier has been a bit irratic lately, so I have been looking around for alternatives.

Got a great deal from Alexey Domanoff from Belarus. It actually worked out about the same price and he accepts paypal. I have been buying from him in the past and can recommend him very highly.

http://shipworkshop.com/

Hi Brian

I must work out what rope I will need for my Connie. I've dealt with Alexey before and found his communication with me was excellent. I must check out the rope with you.

Cheers
Geoff

Janos

I would not know where to start making rope. I could find out pretty easily

At the moment I have 1500 copper plates to worry about before the rope.

Cheers
Geoff

See this thread Geoff

http://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=1291

Zoltan

I liked most of your post, but not quite all. It had a handle

It is not CNC controlled

Make the jig and get rid of the handle.

Buy a stepper motor $12.00 AU on eBay
Buy a controller card $14.00 AU on eBay
GRBL - Open source so it is free
Download Universal Gcode Sender - Open source so it is free.

A standard stepper motor stepper has 200 steps to a complete turn and can be controlled buy the computer.

All you need to know in this case is how long and how many turns.

This is the same for a CNC router.

You could make the same rope time and time again.

Zoly those ropes from Germany look fantastic, have you bought any, and if so do they look as good as the photo's,

best regards John.

And a very Happy, Prosperous and healthy New Year to you and your family,

best regards John Maureen and family.

Not sure where to post this, but this may be helpful. DMC Cordonnet cotton crochet thread is considered a very good material for rope making. Most use the ecru color and dye it to suit their needs. Here are two tables than explain which sizes and what combinations to use to give rope of varying diameters,DMC-Page1.jpgDMC-Page2.jpg

neptune said:
Zoly those ropes from Germany look fantastic, have you bought any, and if so do they look as good as the photo's,

best regards John.

And a very Happy, Prosperous and healthy New Year to you and your family,

best regards John Maureen and family.

Hello John,no I did not buy from this supplier yet,there is no option on the site to order from outside of Europe,my friend sent me a sample from Ireland and seems like very high qulity ,he rigged his Endeavour with this and looks fantastic.

Happy New Year!!

Zoltan

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a ropewalk from model shipways some time ago but I have never taken it out of the box. I saw a post from Bian77 where he showed a motorized ropewalk I think came from Jim Byrnes. I think equiped with that and Docblake's thread chart even I could make a presentable rope.

This is the Dormanoff website.

Back