Group build notifications!

Hello mate’s,
Speaking from a newby perspective, I was wonder where and how long in advance would a new Group Build be announced? Would there be time for all shipwrights to acquire the proposed kit for the build? Also is there group purchases made to acquire proposed kit for members of the group build getting kits at a discount for bulk purchase?
I think that should cover the question I have!
thank you for your time and reply’s
sincerely
Joe MacDougall
Newbie Shipwright

Joe,
Usually, this is the process of starting a Group Build (GB).

1. Usually, someone on the forum might contact one of the Admins (Private Message), or post in the "Group Build Proposals" as you did.
2. I will write a mass email to all members advertising the project along with how to get started, the ship, and all pertinent information.
3. The general GB rule is that a minimum of eight (8) people must come forward with serious interest in the project.
4. Then the project will be officially entered into the GB list along with start up information, where to get the kit, etc.
5. So far, I think there has only been one situation (HMS Alert) was offered a small discount, but it did not have anything to do with a GB, only that SOS members could by the kit at a little reduced price. Zoltan would be the person to ask on this. But, generally "no", SOS has never been able to secure any discount for a GB only.
6. Then last (but not least) is very important. The GB must have a moderator assigned ot it.
7. Lastly, and historically, the Admins have found that unfortunately, even if 20 people sign up for a GB, that usually, we might have 3 that are seriously interested in completing the project. This is why sometimes we are leary about starting GB's.
8. If the newly created GB seems to have lost nearly all interest, then the GB would have to be moved into the "GB Archives" OR the few that are left still building the project (Members) will be moved into the "General Scratch Build Section".

Joe,

1. Usually, someone on the forum might contact one of the Admins (Private Message), or post in the "Group Build Proposals" as you did.
2. I will write a mass email to all members advertising the project along with how to get started, the ship, and all pertinent information.
3. The general GB rule is that a minimum of eight (8) people must come forward with serious interest in the project.
4. Then the project will be officially entered into the GB list along with start up information, where to get the kit, etc.
5. So far, I think there has only been one situation (HMS Alert) was offered a small discount, but it did not have anything to do with a GB, only that SOS members could by the kit at a little reduced price. Zoltan would be the person to ask on this. But, generally "no", SOS has never been able to secure any discount for a GB only.
6. Then last (but not least) is very important. The GB must have a moderator assigned ot it.
7. Lastly, and historically, the Admins have found that unfortunately, even if 20 people sign up for a GB, that usually, we might have 3 that are seriously interested in completing the project. This is why sometimes we are leary about starting GB's.
8. If the newly created GB seems to have lost nearly all interest, then the GB would have to be moved into the "GB Archives" OR the few that are left still building the project (Members) will be moved into the "General Scratch Build Section".
Thank you ! You answered all my questions about the Group Builds !

Joe,

Very good explanation, Donnie. I would just like to add that the Bluenose Group Build offers an almost 50 USD pricing advantage to all SOS members.

Very good explanation, Donnie. I would just like to add that the Bluenose Group Build offers an almost 50 USD pricing advantage to all SOS members.
That looks like a beautiful kit of a beautiful ship and definitely see a Bluenose in my future. But I’ve never done a plank on frame and still have to finish one of my first plank on bulkhead models ,The Swift Which i’ll get back on after my beginning trio I’m doing now!
would a newbie like myself be able to handle that Bluenose kit or would I be better to stick to the plank on frame models more readily available?

MY OPION ONLY, THE BLUENOSE IS A SUPERB KIT A REALLY GOOD ONE BUT NOT FOR NEBIES AT ALL, BETTER TO CHECK OUT POF GROUP BUILDS LIKE THE MATTHEW, PLEASE LOOK AT T5HE PROTOTYPE AND GO TO MSB TO SEE IT, MUCH EASIER THEN THE BLUENOSE. JUST MY INFLATED 12 CENTS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

That looks like a beautiful kit of a beautiful ship and definitely see a Bluenose in my future. But I’ve never done a plank on frame and still have to finish one of my first plank on bulkhead models ,The Swift Which i’ll get back on after my beginning trio I’m doing now!
would a newbie like myself be able to handle that Bluenose kit or would I be better to stick to the plank on frame models more readily available?
The Bluenose kit will obviously be more of a challenge; HOWEVER, the bluenose Group Build is very strong as far as participation and help between members go. I am sure that if you ask when stuck, you will quickly receive the answers that will set you on your way again.

The Bluenose kit will obviously be more of a challenge; HOWEVER, the bluenose Group Build is very strong as far as participation and help between members go. I am sure that if you ask when stuck, you will quickly receive the answers that will set you on your way again.
Thank you for all replies, much appreciated knowing what to tackle with my beginners skill level!

Back