Gunboat Caustic from dlumberyard

Following Daves video, I cut pieces of cardboard to proper size to suit clamp location. Jig is propped up on wood blocks so keel rests on work table.

Once clamps are glued in I can start work on deck beams.

Attachments

• P12 ready for clamp.jpg
    P12 ready for clamp.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 11
While preparing for clamp installation I noticed that it wasn't meeting transom at proper height. I'm doing some sanding of frames to accomplish this.

Stern photo show piece of tape where top of clamp is to be. Ive added a couple of sketches for possible solutions once the sanding is done.

If I can twist the clamp to lay against the frame I can shape the top to meet the deck beams. If the clamp cant be twisted , it will stay vertical .
May need to shape the bottom of the clamp to meet the frames along with a taper towards the transom .

Attachments

• IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1058.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 7
i am seeing the same thing building the Tecumseth the clamps take a drastic twist at the stern frames.

i think the clamp should be twisted to sit against the frames then a notch cut in the upper edge for the beam. From different research sources shallow notches were cut along the clamp for the ends of the deck beams.

clamp.JPG

the clamp would either have notches for the deck beams or angle the top of the clamp. As the clamp reaches the stern it is twisting but the top surcace is level with the deck beam

clampa3.jpg

Last edited:
i am seeing the same thing building the Tecumseth the clamps take a drastic twist at the stern frames.

i think the clamp should be twisted to sit against the frames then a notch cut in the upper edge for the beam. From different research sources shallow notches were cut along the clamp for the ends of the deck beams.

View attachment 252032
Dave
Thank you for your comment and CAD drawing. It helps me a lot!

Finishing up installing clamps. I took piece of wood and made a breast hook. The white color isn't the wood but the paper template attached to guide in shaping.

The laser cut wood at mid ship are the three heavy beams, one will be installed under each of the cannons.

IMG_1061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great Mav, I like your Oneida as well, I’ve got one (Oneida) at about the same stage as yours, but I need to un glue the bow cants and re do them…. More space and wrong angle on the port side…. One day… :)

Looking great Mav, I like your Oneida as well, I’ve got one (Oneida) at about the same stage as yours, but I need to un glue the bow cants and re do them…. More space and wrong angle on the port side…. One day… :)
Thank you for your comments, the Oneida is a challenging build and together with Caustic keeps me busy. Look forward to your Oneida build when time allows.

With a few knees left to install I removed the Caustic from the jig. With all the various wood members joining together she's becoming a rigid unit.

i noticed the same thing with the Tecumseth, once the wales and clamps are added the hull becomes quite rigid and then with the deck structure it really became a strong structure.
i have been following your build and the Caustic is looking very nice.

With a few knees left to install I removed the Caustic from the jig. With all the various wood members joining together she's becoming a rigid unit.

i noticed the same thing with the Tecumseth, once the wales and clamps are added the hull becomes quite rigid and then with the deck structure it really became a strong structure.
i have been following your build and the Caustic is looking very nice.
Thank you Dave. She’s a great kit to work on.

Back after bit of work on another hobby. Caustic has had frames cut down near final height. I’ve added planking to inside bulwark. I’ve also completed installing knees and added waterways. Will add spacers between frames and proceed with sanding outside hull.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 14
Back