Gunze Sangyo 1/350 Lusitania

Also from my side Congratulations for finishing this model _ well done !!

A beautyfull steamer! You can be proud.
And what you wrote about railings, railings, ...... more railings.
I can imaging something by these tiny items. But at the end it gives the ship its shining!
Regards,Peter

Holy $#@% that is an INCREDIBLE build... I only hope mine lives up to that when I start it soon... I love your details and perfect painting!

Thanks, I'm sure yours will come out great judging by how nice your QE2 came out.
Thank you :) I am also trying to see if I am brave enough to start on my "Oriana"... it's a 1:500 and oooooold kit, but I want to see if I can change all the railings to PE instead, because at her stern there are a number of stacked decks with large openings which look kind of crowded in the model's plastic solid railing form... and I think if I cut those away and replace with PE railings it will feel better... but I am eyeing the box warily trying to decide, LOL!

Well May 13th I was told I would have the decks for my Lusitania by Memorial Day. As that passed I was told another 2 weeks. This went on and on until the manufacturer disappeared off of forums and stopped answering enquiries at all on June 17th. I did all I possibly could on the model, painted everything, did all the photo etc. I have finally given up and bought a bunch of plastic bags, separated and numbered all the parts and just packed the whole project up.

The issue is I have meticulously painted a lot of parts expecting drop on wood decks. If I have to cut my own most of that paint work will be messed up as making your own decks requires taking the pieces you are cutting on and off many, many times which will scratch it all up.

The whole affair was just a huge waste of time. Now that I have realized what the situation actually is I bought a bunch of other kits, a few smaller than I really care for in scale but that’s all that is available. Maybe some day the manufacturer will produce them and I can finish this model which I was so enthused about building, so I will put it out of my mind and work on other things. If they are never produced I will have to cut them myself and just repaint everything.

My Mom is 84 and in poor health, I am her sole caregiver so I have basically been staying away from outside activity as much as possible, especially since my state is one of those that the virus is going through the roof. That being said, wasting almost 2 months when I would really have enjoyed having something to keep me busy instead of looking at it all apart all over my table has been a huge disappointment.

I just bought these and a Queen Mary 2 1/400. So that’s all for the foreseeable future on my 1/350 Lusitania. When the day comes that I continue building it I will add to this thread. Thanks for any interest, Chris.View attachment 163752
That is so cool... I have all those exact ones as well... even the QE2 is that gray hull version which I made the black hull cos she looked sad in that limited time gray! So I have built the France, The QE2 and the QM that you have there (will post pics in the final build part of the board) and the other day my QE1 arrived and I am waiting for my Mauretania! I am going to have to name my condo 'the Port'...

In terms of starting with a plastic model, it is perfect. The model brings to mind a few thoughts regarding her loss. At the time of the torpedoing, she was still one of the two fastest ships on the Atlantic run; i.e. the pinnacle of travel between continents. She was a beautiful example of outward architecture left over from the gilded age. The torpedo killed her dynamos, leaving the ship without electricity, trapping the mailroom clerks who could only travel between deck via electric lifts. It's hard to imagine, but the bow, from just behind the cutwater to below the bridge, was largely blown out by the following coal explosion. Lastly, much of the deck design details are discernible in the collapsed wreckage, on the seabed. I would like to see them recovered, conserved, and displayed in a memorial museum. "Lusitania" was still on the "cutting edge" in 1915.

Your model evokes what a model is supposed to do. Elegant.

Well May 13th I was told I would have the decks for my Lusitania by Memorial Day. As that passed I was told another 2 weeks. This went on and on until the manufacturer disappeared off of forums and stopped answering enquiries at all on June 17th. I did all I possibly could on the model, painted everything, did all the photo etc. I have finally given up and bought a bunch of plastic bags, separated and numbered all the parts and just packed the whole project up.

The issue is I have meticulously painted a lot of parts expecting drop on wood decks. If I have to cut my own most of that paint work will be messed up as making your own decks requires taking the pieces you are cutting on and off many, many times which will scratch it all up.

The whole affair was just a huge waste of time. Now that I have realized what the situation actually is I bought a bunch of other kits, a few smaller than I really care for in scale but that’s all that is available. Maybe some day the manufacturer will produce them and I can finish this model which I was so enthused about building, so I will put it out of my mind and work on other things. If they are never produced I will have to cut them myself and just repaint everything.

My Mom is 84 and in poor health, I am her sole caregiver so I have basically been staying away from outside activity as much as possible, especially since my state is one of those that the virus is going through the roof. That being said, wasting almost 2 months when I would really have enjoyed having something to keep me busy instead of looking at it all apart all over my table has been a huge disappointment.

I just bought these and a Queen Mary 2 1/400. So that’s all for the foreseeable future on my 1/350 Lusitania. When the day comes that I continue building it I will add to this thread. Thanks for any interest, Chris.View attachment 163752
So very cool... I have also completed the France, QE2 and Queen Mary (the exact ones you have here) and am working on the Queen Elizabeth right now, and have Mauretania waiting in the wings... busy busy busy, LOL... I love your Lusitania build, it's looking FINE... can you tell me the completed size, stem to stern, keel to mast and include the stand height? I am having cases made for mine and my Queen Mary 2 1:400 and want to make sure there is enough breathing room around them...

So very cool... I have also completed the France, QE2 and Queen Mary (the exact ones you have here) and am working on the Queen Elizabeth right now, and have Mauretania waiting in the wings... busy busy busy, LOL... I love your Lusitania build, it's looking FINE... can you tell me the completed size, stem to stern, keel to mast and include the stand height? I am having cases made for mine and my Queen Mary 2 1:400 and want to make sure there is enough breathing room around them...
Thanks designck. Including the stand the height is 9.5 inches to it's highest point, that is a generous measurement as it's probably closer to 9.25 inches. The wood base is 28 inches long and 5.5 inches wide. The wood base is very close to the actual length of the model and obviously quite a bit wider. On the height, the wood stand including the pedestals and the rubber feet I have under the wood is about 2.25 inches of the total height of 9.5 inches. The remainder of that 9.5 inches in height without the stand is the height of the model itself. Hope this helps.

Back