Hancock

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor: dlumberyard
Staff member
Sponsor

The Tecumseth deck is now complete and i need to catch up with the build log., then a little more work with the guns and companion way and the project will be done including a 3d model. The Stern of the Alfred is still a live project and i hired a 3d artist to do all the carvings, she will be adding all the carved work to completed 3D model. CAD work, 3D modeling, laser cutting files and 3D STL. print files for the carvings are all in the final stages for a stern model.

Getting into the fall and winter i am looking ahead to another project to start. It takes a lot of CAD time so it gives me something to do on those cold Ohio winters. I am thinking of the Hancock and you can follow this link to take a look at Hahn's model.

i might do a limited edition kit with 3D printed stern carvings or find someone to CNC the STL carving files in wood.

first i would like to get a little feed back from the membership

Hahn's original model was in 1:96 scale 1/8 inch = 1 foot
this produces a model 20 inches from figurehead to the stern. A nice size for display but difficult to build. The detail work is very small.
so

i thought to increase the size to 1:48 scale 1/4 inch = 1 foot

this will produce a very impressive model easy to work on with the larger scale. The issue is the size measuring from figurehead to stern comes to 40 inches almost a 4 foot model.

in between i could go with 1:72 scale 3/16 = 1 foot which will produce a 30 inch model and still big enough for finer detail.

the Tecumseth is 1:24 scale 3/8 = 1 foot and i loved the large scale i could accomplish fine detail and joinery. At 3/16 scale the Hancock would be as big as the Tecumseth seen here in the early stages of the build.

i am also thinking if there is interest in the Hancock i could create a build log and group build on SoS.

size1.jpg

Dave
Sounds like you have a nice winter project to start. The Hancock has some nice lines to her.
1:72 scale seems to me to be a good size . I’ll be following this thread.

i was also considering the Roebuck a two decker but that is a British ship and i wanted to stick with an American ship

Personally, I prefer the 1:48 scale but 1:72 would be the smallest that I would want to build. 30" inches is easy on the eyes but I love big models. :)

what i might do is both scales 3/16 an 1/4

once i have all the framing digitized it is just a matter of creating 2 sets of laser cutting files. The 3D printing of the cannons, figurehead and stern is no problem that is just changing scale of the file and hit print.

Stacy who will be doing the 3D work also did the Halifax once she does the STL files they are good for both CNC carving and 3D printing.

halifaxStern1.jpghalifaxStern2.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, Hancock would be a nice choice. It seems to have been owned by everyone (America, Britain and France at some stage or other)
3/16 to me, is the best fit, not to big and still large enough for plenty of detail.

Dave I would be very interested in a 1/48 scale kit, I think it is a great subject and one of Mr. Hahn’s finest models. I would be thrilled to have it be the centerpiece of my models!

Dave, would your Hancock kit have individual futtocks built up for the frames or would it be traditional battens built up and then the frames cut out?

Dave, would your Hancock kit have individual futtocks built up for the frames or would it be traditional battens built up and then the frames cut out?

the plan is to digitize Hahns original frame drawings he did on mylar

a7.jpg

once they have been digitized i will break down the frames, create an offset to the pieces and set them up to be laset cut like this example of the Tecumseth frames

DSCN2880.jpg

Harold built frame blanks glued the frame pattern to the blank and cut them out. I can also do that but 250 linear feet of framing stock would weigh way more than the laser cut sheets thus cost more to ship.

The idea behind this project is to custom make a kit "per order" select your wood, select the scale, select what laser parts you want and select how you want to build the model either from laser cut parts or from frame blanks. build the entire ship or just a stern section.

I always am more agreeable with a larger model as to me the extra space creates for a better 'working' area on the ship and allows for better details and overall (to me) easier to build.

I guess I must have overlooked - but what model are you holding in your hands?

over the years Harold and i sat and talked about the hobby/art of model ship building. He did not like kits or wanted anything to do with those who built kits. He considered them like a paint by number. Anyone wanting to build a model of a ship should research it and built it from scratch. I have his library and archives and from the archives a letter when i first proposed timbering sets of his models.

If he were alive today would he approve of the Hancock project with laser cut frames and 3D printed carvings? it would be a hard sell that i can say for sure.

img228.jpg

i am not sure what the carving in the center is any guesses?

dead center is a ? to the right and left of center it looks like winged cherubs to the left a woman with a fish at her feet and to the right a man with ? at his feet. Below a rattlesnake

hancock1.jpghancock2.jpg

The carving below the mans feet on the right, it seems that I can make out a fish or Dolphin that is leaping (from left to right) in an arch fashion and I can barely make out the fin on the left and his mouth on the right. I am wondering if those arches underneath are to depict waves.

I would say that Hahn is pretty much very strict in his methods, and it shows in his work. Not all shipbuilders are craftsman to the sense that he/she is (nor even probably want to be). To me there is a separation of hobby vs. craftsmanship (and yes, they can go together). Where the two meet, yes, wonderful true models will be built. A certain percentage of us probably do not fall into the true craftsmanship, but we know and are talented enough to make a fine ship.
Some of us do not have the resources, knowledge, tools, etc to turn out a true model, but I have to be satisfied with my own abilities and growth. I think that even most people here would agree that trying to make a "kit" into a ship worthy of display is a work and a task within itself. (meaning that you get a box of stuff and parts that do not fit and the modeler is very often left perplexed with bad plans, manuals, etc.)
So, I agree, a person that can build from plans - I have my hat off to them. I can draw and I am an artist to a certain degree, but carving decorations on a stern, I have to say that I have never tried. That is something I would have to practice.

The only thing that bothers me is the exclusivity with Hahn even though I understand his doctrine and discipline, however, I personally think that making the Hancock into a working CNC model will allow others to enjoy having such a ship in their home and to enjoy being able to build such a model.

We all have "Fore Fathers" that set a bar, but they are people just like the rest of us that happen to be blessed with the talent, however, I would say it is a shame to let all his work go by the way side due to his dogma. Just think about how big ship modeling has grown and a lot of us want to explore this, and to remain strict only discourages instead of encouraging the growth of the hobby (or craftmanship).

Do we do this hobby for ourselves or do we do this to share with others? I fall into the latter and I think Dave without a question, you love to share and help people. I think that you are well equipped to take that bar and carry it on in a newer and better direction.

Last edited:
i can now see the dolphin as for the center carving it looks like a person i see the V of a possible dress and the upper section does look like a head

i spent many hours with Harold in a debate of art, craft and hobby.

by the time Harold built these models he was a reconized nation artist with works in various museums. His view point was from fine art and paint by number or kits were just not in his view of "art" he wanted to bridge the gap from someone in the hobby trying to reach a level of art. What he did not get was he was a natural born artist and this came easy to him but not to others.
I think i could sell him on the Hancock project if he were here now. Gluing 3d printed carvings on the stern would make him cringe, he would rather see a crude hand carved stern.
i do have my moment of doubt going forward with his work as a "kit"
in the world of art there is such a thing as "reproductions" of original works so maybe this falls into that category

for some reason and i am sure its me but i am having a difficult time searching ship drawings at the NMM in the UK

when the Hancock was taken by the Brits it was renamed IRIS and i am trying to find drawings of the stern

thanks Uwek it seems the NMM changed their site
Yes the y changed and the have in moment a Beta-version running.
Positiv is now, that the search function and filtering of the results is going much better...... but I guess it is not the latest change there.
Positiv also, to see that they still upload more and more subjects - so helpful for us in the research

Back