Hanging flags naturally

I am building the Endeavor as a full rigged ship, not the sloop. The flags furnished are of some plastic feeling cloth that fold and stick together. Now that I have done that, I need some help on how to hang the flags with a natural fold as they fly. Any help would be appreciated.

Happy New Year to our members.

I found the flags that came with my kit were awful. There are places online that sell decent flags but I chose to make my own. Here is a link to that method.
I hope that helps. No idea how you would make a plastic/polyester material drape nicely. Maybe someone else can help there.

Thanks. the Brig sails look as though she is in port with some sails brailed up or sailing in a light wind just enough to make way. I also wonder if a hair dryer might soften the material enough to reform some curve in them.

Yes, perhaps some heat and wind would help. There was a technique someone described in here somewhere about draping the flag over a dowel and then doing it again from the other side.

Thanks for the replies. I found that with this "rubber covered cloth" that a dowel and a hair dryer had a positive effect. Who sells flags?

Just remember when hanging flags, to have them wave in proper direction. Pirate Flag

It's different in a sailing ship from a powered vessel. Sail powered vessels don't normally go forward any faster than winds are blowing from behind the ship.Ship-1

Sailing ships normally have wind coming from rear blowing ship forward. Flag extend forward of mast they attach to.

For powered ships, which provide their own motion, flags normally wave to rear of ship, unless your in a heavy side or tail wind weather.

Thanks for that reminder. I recall an article that said sailing ship's flags fly with the prevailing wind. So I would guess they fly differently if you are tacking, sailing downwind etc.

Thanks for the replies. I found that with this "rubber covered cloth" that a dowel and a hair dryer had a positive effect. Who sells flags?
Glad it worked out. I seem to recall seeing a thread somewhere that talked about good quality flags. I’ve looked at a few but then decided it was easier in the long run to do the iron on route. It was easy to get flag images and setup a template to do the print.

I am building the Endeavor as a full rigged ship, not the sloop. The flags furnished are of some plastic feeling cloth that fold and stick together. Now that I have done that, I need some help on how to hang the flags with a natural fold as they fly. Any help would be appreciated.

Hallo @Bobc622 ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on teh Endeavor going?

Thank you. I am finishing the construction of the Mizzenmast mast yards and Gaff. Going slowly, then I will mount the sails on all three masts and Bowsprit. That should be an adventure.

Hallo @Bobc622 ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Endeavor going?
Maybe you can show us once your model.....

Back