Hayling hoy [COMPLETED BUILD]

My understanding of the purpose of a hoy was to service fleet ships and ocean-going vessels within the confines of a harbor or anchorage. She probably would not be venturing forth beyond those confines, or out in heavy weather.

My understanding of the purpose of a hoy was to service fleet ships and ocean-going vessels within the confines of a harbor or anchorage. She probably would not be venturing forth beyond those confines, or out in heavy weather.
Yes you are right. Hayling Hoy was a ship for everyday, commercial or heavy duty use. He usually transported goods between a port and a large ship. Also used as a taxi or prison ship. Its main purpose was a small port-harbor ship, so it probably didn't have the opportunity to sail ocean or heavy weather.

To me, that matter is still controversial. In some NMM's draughts swivels mounting are clearly shown and, in my humble opinion as well, the circular frame just aft the capstain could have served as a gun port. The Admiralty is also credited to have got over a dozen of such vessels from Holland in the late eighteenth century with full complement of guns and swivels for coastal patrolling purpose.

Last edited:
i think that i had one of the first kit , it seem to me that some later kit had the deck plank or maybe some did them on there own.

3 sail up one more to go. the main jib is a bit to long . it maybe my fault . bowsprit could be set ahead a bit ,no measurement was given , to late now.

black rope came from the kit , on block i use dry dock rope less difficult to tread and better looking,

20240226_134837.jpg

20240226_134848.jpg

20240226_134913.jpg

waiting for rigging scissor (long handle) and better rigging tool to lock all rope i place before i install the main sail.
was wondering what size the hanks should be . there is a template available but i do not know where to buy.

Also here my congratulations for finishing this model - well done
Most important is, to have fun with our hobby

Back