Hayling Hoy of 1759

Yes well I haven’t taken many pictures but I will start a log once I finish cutting all of the toptimbers and completing the external fairing at that location.
ian
Hallo @ibmack
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on your model going? Hope to see it in a building log

Now that I finished CAF's La Belle (might post last few pictures in that build log), I have decided to tackle a POF model from scratch. The subject I've chosen is Hayling Hoy of 1759 by David Antscherl. Why? Because "This model is aimed at the first time scratch builder (me) or for the experienced modeler (not me) who is looking for a small project in-between major builds." Book is wonderful as are the plans. More info can be found at https://www.seawatchbooks.com/ItemDisplay.php?sku=118001

Beautiful Castello boxwood and Black Hornbeam have been provided by our friend Sergey. I can't describe what a superb quality it is. Building board has been built and I've already made some dust - keel and stempost. It's all dry fit at the moment. Here we go:

What's next? Our nemesis - Mr rabbet. I'm inclined to mill it into individual pieces before final assembly. We'll see.
Hallo @Gennaro
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Great progress! As the sided deminsions are all the same the hull build build is very heavy for such a small ship but makes for a beautifully done model. I have the book and plans and hope one day to build her

Some great comments and made me think. Thank you. As well as reflect. Of course Well made. One comment does stick out … heavy in places. But I not have the plans or book. Modelling to reality at our scale is dreadful. I made 1:96 1700 28 gun and followed the scaling. After a while I needed No external comments to tell me it was a wooden brick. Too thin looks life shavings, too thick looks like trees. I leave the experts who we all look to for their interpretation / effortless masterpieces. My self I skim down …. or leave out eg. if you follow the treenail way your beautiful ship looks like a shaven Hedgehog, machine gunned with how on earth does the plank not split. Purists will kill me on this but I feel we all try to convey an inner spirit to our models - some have that spirit and no words needs to be said. You just feel the atmospheric atmosphere of their creation. Good model, read.

Back