Hello from a new member...

If you need help with starting your log, let me know. You will need to start your log in the SOS ship kits - wood section. When you start a post, all you do is reply to your own post. You can name your thread like Midwest Dinghy by Robert M.
Usualy modelers will take a few pics of the box and its contents to show us what all is involved. Then go from there.

Good morning,

Understood; will do. I believe the other Midwest kit (skill level 1) is due to be delivered today. The dinghy did arrive yesterday and it is really nice. Eager to see how this kit will compare.

My wife has jam packed our weekend with activities, so I may not be able to start the build log until next week.

Robert

My wife has jam packed our weekend with activities, so I may not be able to start the build log until next week.

A Week !!!! We have to wait a week ?? ( just kidding)

Here, the wife is called "The Admiral". What usually works for me when the Admiral will not let me work on my model is that I roll on the floor and start foaming at the mouth. Tell her you are having withdrawal symptoms. But, you can't do this yet as you haven't started your model yet. Sometimes having an anxiety attack also works for me. However, I guess I am lucky in that my wife sends me to my room for misbehaving anyway -- its a trick. LOL

Or you can offer a Quid-Pro-Quo by offering a foot massage for her for a week in return for 1 hour per night of uninterrupted modeling. Exclamation-Mark

Or you can offer a Quid-Pro-Quo by offering a foot massage for her for a week in return for 1 hour per night of uninterrupted modeling. Exclamation-Mark

Yesterday, we spent a good bit of time moving furniture around. In the end, we moved my modeling area (maybe we will call this the dry dock) downstairs under the steps. It’s a nice little spot, and there are no computers around, so my fear of frying one has abated. I plan to spend this morning getting everything prepped to start the kit Monday.

I must say, I feel a bit silly working with such a simple kit. While I understand it is my first model, I‘ve read other threads where beginning modelers are building much more serious kits (like the Mayflower).

Are you certain that you want these simple kits I have on here? I don’t want to clog up the works...

Robert

I am sure 100% your model(s) will be welcomed fine. Your build log is about a model of a Dingy or any of the others, it’s not about a first kit.
For one, I am interested to see how the kit looks and is built. I am in between ship builds and have nothing to build and I might want to try one as a short term project.

Welcome aboard. I have been on a building hiatus as I try to get my real life straightened out. With that said, this site is great for getting help from all the experts here. I also purchased most of Bob Hunt's practicums to use as guides to build my current model. I look forward to seeing your work and progress.

Jeff

I must say, I feel a bit silly working with such a simple kit. While I understand it is my first model, I‘ve read other threads where beginning modelers are building much more serious kits (like the Mayflower).
There is no such 'silly working' on such a simple kit. We have different skills and various experiences. Just as an example: There are so many Royal Williams models built, but each and any have theit own look, hence built from the same kit manufacturer and using the same manual.

Personally, I love those small boats. There is some kind of enjoyment when you build them... I am looking forward to your work!

Robert
Of course we would like to follow your build.I think you are very sensible with your choices.If you have never done ANY form of modelling then you probably will need to learn all the basics like Knife skills etc.Being to ambitious with the choice of your first model can just end up in frustration and disenchantment with the hobby.Confidence is a big part of this hobby and completing a couple of beginner's kits will help build that and give you an insight into the basics.

Do not be put off by some of the builds on here.There is a very broad spectrum of skill level on the forum.I am pleased to see we are having a number of beginners like yourself join the forum.Beginners are the future of the hobby!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Good morning,

I will start a build log on the dinghy tomorrow. I‘d like to start now, but my wife and I have matinee theater tickets today. I’ve not looked at the dinghy plans yet, but I have read the instruction manual, and I understand almost everything. I’m excited to give this a shot.

@Nigel: This will be my first model. When I was a kid, my grandfather did buy me an airplane model of some sort, but my parents would not let me use paints or glue, so I just stuck it together using the locating pins.

I’ll turn 50 in January. My parents (and wife) now feel I am probably responsible enough to use paints and glue. :)

Robert

I bought this workstation off ebay - it's made by Occre and is very handy for keeping things neat if you have limited space to work in. It comes as a kit itself which is fun to build!

Interesting. I appreciate the photo. I will take a photo of my little space for the curios here. :)

Robert

Welcome!! Remember we all started out the same way at one point in time. I started with plastic kits and built many before finally embarking on the idea of building wood ones. The Midwest models you are getting should help you get your feet wet - so to speak. I too have a limited build space in a spare room but do have an outside shed for major jobs like butchering wood for scratch builds, large sanding jobs etc. Just remember the old saying - "Patience is a virtue, catch it if you can. Seldom found in woman, Never found in man.":D

Welcome!! Remember we all started out the same way at one point in time. I started with plastic kits and built many before finally embarking on the idea of building wood ones. The Midwest models you are getting should help you get your feet wet - so to speak. I too have a limited build space in a spare room but do have an outside shed for major jobs like butchering wood for scratch builds, large sanding jobs etc. Just remember the old saying - "Patience is a virtue, catch it if you can. Seldom found in woman, Never found in man.":D

Thank you for the welcome, Vince and Jim. :)

Robert

I am fast approaching 60 and sometimes wonder if that is why I have a difficult time locating my paints and glues??? Maybe my wife is hiding them from me?

I have no doubt, should I have a mishap, I will have them promptly taken from me. Lol

Robert

Hallo Robert,
we wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Back