Hello from Mexico

Yuliboe

Hello all. Modeler from Mexico here. Started with plastic kits and now building in wood.
I have completed 4 "traditional" A. Latina and Corel kits.
I am now interested in one of those Japanese Okumoto kits. I see them as a different challenge in the same hobby.
Best regards

zoly99sask

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Welcome aboard in our forum ,I would follow your build with high interest,which Okumoto kit do you have in your mind?

Jimsky

Staff member

Welcome aboard SOS Yuliboe! Okumoto kits have some nice selections on POF (Plank On Frame) kits. I would be interested to see the kit review and the actual build log of the model. Do you know what model you will buy?

to those who never hear about this manufacturer, here is a video building 1:80 Endeavour

Yuliboe

Hello. Undecided between La Couronne or the Endeavour. La Couronne is more of the type of ships I like, but the Endeavour looks like more of a challenge.

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

NMBROOK

Staff member

Welcome to the forum Yuliboe.I have never seen one of these great kits built and would love to see one as a build on SOS.

Off topic,but I would point out in the video no laser "char" was removed.I remember a discussion a number of years ago and Chris Watton had carried out some tests.There was no loss of strength in the joint without sanding.The Char is a bit of a myth,what you see is discolouration,the ash is left on the bed of the profiler.This is dependant on a good quality of cut.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Alex R

Nigel, Good to know about the strength of glueing laser-cut edges. However, the laser cut is not perfectly vertical, but has a tiny angle to it. When making frames from laser-cut futtocks in my CAF HMS Enterprise, I sand both futtocks at the joints. Otherwise, there is about a 0.5-0.8 mm gap in one side of the joint.
AlexAFD2841B-C21B-45D0-8AE8-BF4B8E363BE5.jpeg12AB70A2-1268-4653-8063-131E60796619.jpeg Before and after sanding.

Last edited:

Timochenko

Hello, I am also a wooden ship modeler from MEXICO, living in Queretaro city, I have never eared about that Japanese make of ship kits, the video about it’s way of construction seems interesting.
I have built 6 ships, 3 dynamic R/C, and 3 Static, currently I am building the HMS VICTORY from Artesanía Latina.0ECD1C13-9C8C-4A7F-8029-C97E7EA3620E.jpeg

Alex R

Hola, Mucho gusto. Este sitio de web es muy bueno. Yo he aprendido muchísimo ! Naci en CDMX, pero vivo en Houston. Me acabo de retirar, y me estoy dedicando bastante al hobby. Bienvenidos. Puedes poner tu construcción del Victory aquí. Ayuda mucho, y también otros miembros pueden ver el tipo y calidad del kit...

Alex. Rosas