Hello from Peterborough UK

I'm looking for any reading on planking as I'm just starting out this hobby. I am a retired finish carpenter who still has the woodworking itch..
take a look at this post with a planking tutorial for download

and also here:

Underhill is 'old school' but the book is a fairly comprehensive description of building a small trading barque from scratch. If you are brave enough I suggest you get volume 2 also - as well as masting and rigging it gives clear descriptions of methods for making small boats and more.
If you are a book-lover as I am you have to learn to be wary about paying the high prices asked for some book. I recently bought online for about £12 delivered from the USA to UK a David Anschel book that I see priced at £250 elsewhere. The copy I get has no dust-jacket, so not collectable. Not a problem because it's the contents I like.

Underhill is 'old school' but the book is a fairly comprehensive description of building a small trading barque from scratch. If you are brave enough I suggest you get volume 2 also - as well as masting and rigging it gives clear descriptions of methods for making small boats and more.
If you are a book-lover as I am you have to learn to be wary about paying the high prices asked for some book. I recently bought online for about £12 delivered from the USA to UK a David Anschel book that I see priced at £250 elsewhere. The copy I get has no dust-jacket, so not collectable. Not a problem because it's the contents I like.
Just ordered vol 1 & 2. Old school is very often more understandable to me, don’t think I am ready to build from scratch though but maybe one day ;-). The prices of some books on Amazon is a joke but somebody must pay it….. exciting news is that my Bounty Jolly Boat is to be delivered today instead of Monday. Thought I had the weekend to prepare a work area so I had better get my skates on.

The two books I ordered, vol 1 and vol 2, arrived this morning by post, less than 24 hours after ordering them. Remarkable service from “We Buy Books” on eBay and the Post Office. Both hardback books are in superb condition and are a delight to read. Many thanks for the recommendation Alan.

Good morning Graham T. Ships of Scale is an excellent site for sharing information. If you want some face to face advice in the UK have a look at our website <modelshipwrights.org>. Our members are spread out all over the UK and there could be someone nearby to help you. Your choice of starting model is most sensible. Some try to start with HMS Victory and not surprisingly run out of steam. When you are ready to move up a bit, contact me here or via the website and I can advise you on the sloops of war, shown in the picture here.

Good morning Graham T. Ships of Scale is an excellent site for sharing information. If you want some face to face advice in the UK have a look at our website <modelshipwrights.org>. Our members are spread out all over the UK and there could be someone nearby to help you. Your choice of starting model is most sensible. Some try to start with HMS Victory and not surprisingly run out of steam. When you are ready to move up a bit, contact me here or via the website and I can advise you on the sloops of war, shown in the picture here.
Many thanks. I will take a look at your website. I now have my kit and most of the starting tools so I just need to create a workspace and I can get started.

Hello everyone. Complete newbie looking to start a new hobby at the ‘older to know better but seldom do’ age of 73. Just ordered the seemingly popular Artesania Latina kit of the Bounty Jolly boat as my introduction to model ship building. Going to be a bit of a culture shock as plastic modelling is all I have done in the past. I have been looking around SOS and have found some incredible information on the dreaded planking which, once I get my kit (it’s on its way to me) and get started, will get me going in the right direction even if I make a mess of it…….
Hello everyone. Complete newbie looking to start a new hobby at the ‘older to know better but seldom do’ age of 73. Just ordered the seemingly popular Artesania Latina kit of the Bounty Jolly boat as my introduction to model ship building. Going to be a bit of a culture shock as plastic modelling is all I have done in the past. I have been looking around SOS and have found some incredible information on the dreaded planking which, once I get my kit (it’s on its way to me) and get started, will get me going in the right direction even if I make a mess of it…….
This 74 year-old welcomes you.....

Welcome Graham…I live in Lindsay and would be pleased to help you.
I've done 11 model wood ships and am currently working on 3 more.

Hello Graham
Welcome to the Forum, it is very helpful with folks from around the world giving advice.
I am not too far away from you, I live in Stafford.
Like you, I started building ships late in life when my train models just became too large and too heavy to handle safely.

I had to learn new skills when I chnaged to ship building, starting with a kit is a sound move. Planking was a new skill but I am happy to answer any questions you my have or tell oyu how I go about planking. I have done one ship, The Endeavour, and now the Hull for Mary Rose.
I can talk you through bending and aligning planks, and the way I do things which seem to work well for me.

If you wish ot exchange email addresses and or phone numbers to save going through the Forum each time then I would be happy to do so.

Best wishes
Derek Payne.

Hello Graham
Welcome to the Forum, it is very helpful with folks from around the world giving advice.
I am not too far away from you, I live in Stafford.
Like you, I started building ships late in life when my train models just became too large and too heavy to handle safely.

I had to learn new skills when I chnaged to ship building, starting with a kit is a sound move. Planking was a new skill but I am happy to answer any questions you my have or tell oyu how I go about planking. I have done one ship, The Endeavour, and now the Hull for Mary Rose.
I can talk you through bending and aligning planks, and the way I do things which seem to work well for me.

If you wish ot exchange email addresses and or phone numbers to save going through the Forum each time then I would be happy to do so.

Best wishes
Derek Payne.
Thank you, I may take you up on that ;-)

Welcome Graham…I live in Lindsay and would be pleased to help you.
I've done 11 model wood ships and am currently working on 3 more.
Thank you quite close to Peterborough but I am in the UK Peterborough. That will not stop me asking for help on here though ;-)

Back