Hello

Hello! And thanks for adding!
I'm relatively new to ship modelling. Started in 2014 Feb building HMS Bellona. Not from a kit but from scratch. Only material from DIY shops and .. anything else found in scrap yards and $1 shops :) As of today I reached the stage of putting up the masts. Few pictures here.

IMG_0423.JPGIMG_0444.JPG20140512_205938.jpg

Hallo,
a warm welcome her on board of our forum......."relatively new to ship modelling" - but you are definitely a good modeler!!!
The first model and you start a scratch built model of a 74 gunner- WOW
I guess you have some good drawings and books helping to get this quality shown in the photos.
Are you working based on the Anatomy book from Brian Lavery?
Would like to see much more of this model, maybe also from the past, if you have.....

Not from a kit but from scratch. Only material from DIY shops and ..
G'day from the Land Downunder
I was going to say, if you need any help, just ask, but I'm going to say to you, it's a pleasure to have another model shipwright aboard.
Wow, I can't imagine taking on a scratch build for your first model.
You're photos tell us all that you're not a novice, but an experienced model maker........ I wish I was that good when I started out.
Brilliant and please start a log and a prolog, if you got the photos of your build up yo this stage.
Welcome aboard mematie and to our family here on SOS.

I was going to start by scratch building an 18th century Royal Navy Ship of the line,

But after seeing the quality of your build I think I will start with somethng simpler.

Steve B

I was going to start by scratch building an 18th century Royal Navy Ship of the line,

But after seeing the quality of your build I think I will start with somethng simpler.

Steve B
Hallo Steve,
first of all a warm welcome here on board - definitely we all want to see all models - and you see: also a 74 gun ship of the line is possible as first scratch model

I've had a good look around this wonderful site, the quality of the builds is amazing to me, It make me realise how much I have to learn. And i am sure this is the place to get some good advice.
As a nearly new modeller can you advise me on the kind of ship that would be a good start, remembering I am very interested in fighting hips of the 18th & 19th centurys.

Thank you Steve B

Hello Steve, and welcome to the SOS! I am really impressed with your first-time scratch build model, I even more impressed that you have chosen HMS Belona. While some of us think this is the best way to start shipbuilding hobby - I am definitely not of those. You must somehow be related to craftsmanship or just talented person. You can open your own build log where you can tell all of us about your build, and obviously, we will much appreciate it!! Great job!

I've had a good look around this wonderful site, the quality of the builds is amazing to me, It make me realise how much I have to learn. And i am sure this is the place to get some good advice.
As a nearly new modeller can you advise me on the kind of ship that would be a good start, remembering I am very interested in fighting hips of the 18th & 19th centurys.

Thank you Steve B

I would recommend something simple with good instructions.

Thank you Steve B
Hallo Steve,
take a look at the Jotika models of the series "Nelson´s Navy" with some nice models in scale 1:64.
Good quality of material and very good manuals and drawings - I built several of them and they are recommended
They have models from the beginner to the advanced modeler:

http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Nelson_Front.htm

Back