Help with bending walnut strips 7x3mm

Hi, would anyone like to share some tips on bending quite large 7x3mm walnut strips please, when I tried the soaking and heating it splits, it needs to go at tight angles as per the red lines in the image and some other places as well but these are the hardest, or is there another way or technique to approach it, also showing the finished picture from the box for reference?

Hull.JPGDeck.jpg

I usually let the wood soak in water for a couple of hours, and then use a steam cleaner (looks like this) to heat the wood. If you make a template of the corner that you need to bend, then you can use that to bend the (heated) strip around. It also easy to reheat the strip a bit with the steam cleaner. Looking at the picture, it seems like a difficult bend to make, but not impossible. And the other suggestions above are also good ideas! Have fun!

I usually let the wood soak in water for a couple of hours, and then use a steam cleaner (looks like this) to heat the wood. If you make a template of the corner that you need to bend, then you can use that to bend the (heated) strip around. It also easy to reheat the strip a bit with the steam cleaner. Looking at the picture, it seems like a difficult bend to make, but not impossible. And the other suggestions above are also good ideas! Have fun!
Thank you, coincidentally my wife is about to buy a steam cleaner like that so now it might have a dual-use. Been putting off getting back to this step at the moment, these were my first attempts before the original post with soaking and trying to heat them, the wood split on the outside, perhaps not enough soaking and/or heat.

20210117_194440.jpg

Thank you, coincidentally my wife is about to buy a steam cleaner like that so now it might have a dual use. Been putting off getting back to this step at the moment, these were my first attempts before the original postView attachment 206209 with soaking and trying to heat them, the wood split on the outside, perhaps not enough soaking and/or heat.
Hi Richie

Well done.

Maybe cause is not enough soaking but the rolling radius is very short. Because of this wood can split. Try more soak/heat. In case of split will happen again :

Try to glue them to their places with CA firmly. Use CA as small amount as you can. Be carefull to keep the shape. You can use a template to do this.

Thank you, coincidentally my wife is about to buy a steam cleaner like that so now it might have a dual use. Been putting off getting back to this step at the moment, these were my first attempts before the original postView attachment 206209 with soaking and trying to heat them, the wood split on the outside, perhaps not enough soaking and/or heat.
I have same problem..... frustrating as hell.....but I like the ideas from above

Normally heat and water will soften the wood fibers to bend. In this case, the piece is very hard and the bend is sharp. Some thoughts: 1) Use a long piece of the wood strip to provide leverage in the middle for the bend. 2) Use steam heat if you can...a lot of steam heat at the bend...keep working the bend gently while keeping the steam heat on the bend. 3) You need a lot of heat and a lot of moisture first soak the wood for several hours...even overnight. Then place the strip in boiling water to soak for several minutes...this heats up the wood. Then start the bending using steam heat concentrated on the bend. Just some techniques that have worked for me. It takes time to soak the hard wood and a lot of heat to penetrate the loosened wood fibers. The thicker and harder the wood the more heat and water is needed. The ideal solution? Build and use a steam box...several hours in the steam box works...

I agree that the easiest way is to make the curved part separately, using a wooden block or section of dowel. But the grain direction of the wood will now be different from the rest of the rail. If you want the wood grain to run in the same direction as the rest of the piece, you could try a different wood (such as flexible beech). I’ve tried this with varying degrees of success.

I agree that the easiest way is to make the curved part separately, using a wooden block or section of dowel. But the grain direction of the wood will now be different from the rest of the rail. If you want the wood grain to run in the same direction as the rest of the piece, you could try a different wood (such as flexible beech). I’ve tried this with varying degrees of success.
If you concern about the grain direction, finding the dowel with suitable grain directions will be a difficult task, but using the block of wood it is not. Just drill the hole with the outer radius of your part and shape! Not all timbers are bendable, specifically if you need a very small radius.

Normally heat and water will soften the wood fibers to bend. In this case, the piece is very hard and the bend is sharp. Some thoughts: 1) Use a long piece of the wood strip to provide leverage in the middle for the bend. 2) Use steam heat if you can...a lot of steam heat at the bend...keep working the bend gently while keeping the steam heat on the bend. 3) You need a lot of heat and a lot of moisture first soak the wood for several hours...even overnight. Then place the strip in boiling water to soak for several minutes...this heats up the wood. Then start the bending using steam heat concentrated on the bend. Just some techniques that have worked for me. It takes time to soak the hard wood and a lot of heat to penetrate the loosened wood fibers. The thicker and harder the wood the more heat and water is needed. The ideal solution? Build and use a steam box...several hours in the steam box works...
I recently bought a steamer and made a box....(for next build) If steam is introduced for long periods, wont the wood swell?

I recently bought a steamer and made a box....(for next build) If steam is introduced for long periods, wont the wood swell?
Yes...slightly but not enough to cause a problem...the swelling is a loosening of the wood fibers which is exactly what you want to be able to create the bend...so the presenting issue remains to use a lot of moisture and heat to loosen the wood fibers to create the bend...then let dry...in my experience the wood contracts again to normal when dry and the part can be fit into place...

Thank you, do you have details on what a steam box looks like, my guess it is something to boil water in and you funnel the steam into an enclosure which holds the wood piece and keep boilng the water as long as needed. Lots of great ideas thank you all.

Back