Help with Wooden Steam Drifter. What does "grained on the inside" mean?

Agree with you.
But not clear in sketch.
As you read the words.
Picture to words not match or bad drawer.
Agree?
Now it is a trawler
Now it is a wooden ribbed frame.
So explain the drawing please
Why so many rivets or?
Curve of planking or strake. Maybe left or right hand side different?
Yes … interesting comic
Bit like famous model engineer who sadly passed away and his notes were updated and technical accuracies were lost.

Please tell me what yard you worked at? At what level : tools or management?
If you were to look at the title of the post it has always been a wooden Steam Drifter and see below a photo of same and you will see that curve that has been cut in the plank above the Hawse,

250.jpg

Thank you
Please look at original sketch sent in?

We’re does it show that detail - did the drawer forget? Or we just look at the words.

In my book (at work ) we would send back - query.

I was taught match words with pictures with mathematics to on site reality.

If a doctor was looking at X-rays you look at the picture taken and see : backbone Alinement, shoulder, heart etc etc…
No difference for shipwrights : if properly timed served. Dedicated.

Your photo (much appreciated) shows a curve, hole … cannot see relation to deck or purpose or …
Strakes or planking …. Not sure:
Never bent a 9inch or … with that curve.
Never seen a curvy plank.

Photo please tell me was it the original and time of drawing or …. Later on & addition?

Sorry genuinely cannot see sketch to photo
Reality.
Nor
Many rivets or domes on top rail or the way they inlayed the timbers. Cannot understand …. The timbers are not sealed .. so looks butt joined with no fastenings.
wonder what depth they used? (Thickness or timber).

Hi Stephen

Very good building log.
Very good use of jigs-and construction techniques and I ticked many comments with whole hearted approval.
It’s a good looking working model, crafted!

Model engineer exhibition 1990’s approx. Judging put 1 chap as highly recommended (virtually 99% hand crafted). Gold medal winner used cnc / laser cutter or cam / off the shelf materials etc… says it all. Big discontent and I stopped showing my models + others.

But
The original picture sent in which I saw. Still there on site. Does not tally up.
Yes
There is a protection board and curvy but that was on the seaside. A secondary plank. It does not run inside.
Rivets or ?
Wood panelling? Etc….
As for the term originally questioned - it was answered.

Not going off point : just real-iterating drawings are not like today’s with plasma cutter machines to 1000mm accuracy.

I give another example from my experiences. If interested. Frigate in Portsmouth had rear end damage. We rebuilt to what was there. Surveyor said no and new Cnc/plasma kit arrived. Another crew (hi tec) attached it. Less than a week it was In dry dock and we had to rebuild it. It worked. Drawings fine but ships in water go out of shape. No spirit level please!

My personal view
Original drawing was inaccurate or failed to explain.
Specific boat, specific builder, specific yard… no ship in them days were like a T Ford.
Chapman tried and to large extent worked but … nothing fitted perfect so gapes was introduced for human error. This could not be built into the design.
As many said drawing can only tell you so much but in practice it changed but drawings not updated which survived.
We drew, wrote, stamped on site changes but hardly any was transferred to master copies.
imagine 1000’s + details changed.

Shipwright or docker needed to recognise these changes and understand. No computer or ask for help then… you was adult, professional.

Same old problem at Chatham and everyone has 12 letters after name but none actually held the tools.

G'day Steve, after searching the net I have found a pic of a drifter that shows the insides of the bulwarks painted green and the inside face's of the stanchions are a brown colour, but not a very clear photo, I have a friend who is a painter and decorater and he has metal combs different shapes that he uses to make the grain more pronounced, I think Mariner1941 is on the money so to speak,
Best regards John,

gggg.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Stephen

Very good building log.
Very good use of jigs-and construction techniques and I ticked many comments with whole hearted approval.
It’s a good looking working model, crafted!

Model engineer exhibition 1990’s approx. Judging put 1 chap as highly recommended (virtually 99% hand crafted). Gold medal winner used cnc / laser cutter or cam / off the shelf materials etc… says it all. Big discontent and I stopped showing my models + others.

But
The original picture sent in which I saw. Still there on site. Does not tally up.
Yes
There is a protection board and curvy but that was on the seaside. A secondary plank. It does not run inside.
Rivets or ?
Wood panelling? Etc….
As for the term originally questioned - it was answered.

Not going off point : just real-iterating drawings are not like today’s with plasma cutter machines to 1000mm accuracy.

I give another example from my experiences. If interested. Frigate in Portsmouth had rear end damage. We rebuilt to what was there. Surveyor said no and new Cnc/plasma kit arrived. Another crew (hi tec) attached it. Less than a week it was In dry dock and we had to rebuild it. It worked. Drawings fine but ships in water go out of shape. No spirit level please!

My personal view
Original drawing was inaccurate or failed to explain.
Specific boat, specific builder, specific yard… no ship in them days were like a T Ford.
Chapman tried and to large extent worked but … nothing fitted perfect so gapes was introduced for human error. This could not be built into the design.
As many said drawing can only tell you so much but in practice it changed but drawings not updated which survived.
We drew, wrote, stamped on site changes but hardly any was transferred to master copies.
imagine 1000’s + details changed.

Shipwright or docker needed to recognise these changes and understand. No computer or ask for help then… you was adult, professional.

Same old problem at Chatham and everyone has 12 letters after name but none actually held the tools.
Hi Hermies,

I think that maybe the sketch in isolation is where the problem lays, it needs to be viewed with the rest of the wonderful book that Ted Frost wrote. The problem there is I am not about to copy large parts of the book and post it.

Cheers,
Stephen.

G'day Steve, after searching the net I have found a pic of a drifter that shows the insides of the bulwarks painted green and the inside face's of the stanchions are a brown colour, but not a very clear photo, I have a friend who is a painter and decorater and he has metal combs different shapes that he uses to make the grain more pronounced, I think Mariner1941 is on the money so to speak,
Best regards John,

View attachment 247887
G'day John,

Nice photo, thanks for having a look for me, I agree that Mariner1941 hits the spot.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Back