• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Hemingway's Pilar kit

Hello all .. On the shelf I have the Winchelsea, Swan class Echo complete with,four David Antscherl;s books, presently working on a cross section 1/48 Victory in pear, and the Solano train ferry in 1/160 scale,, The last thing I needed was another project,but bought the PILAR. I am building it in 1/18 scale with wood and fittings upgrades, Plan to get Ernie reincarnated by Herb;s figures.. Glad there is so much interest in this boat. Anyone who is interested in my previous builds, can view my video done at our local Art center. It is in the international shows thread on SOS. Thanks again to Jimsky for taking the time to post it. I;m a technomoron, so that was greatly appreciated. I also donated two ships for auction. Proceeds to Downtown Art Cellar for their THRIVE project.. Maybe do a ship build seminar next summer as there is some interest. Happy shipbuilding! John Coryea ( Manning16)
 
Yes sir the parts that come with this kit are resin 3D printed and look pretty good to me. I am just a hobbyist so I easy to please. Thanks for the info.
i am contemplating contacting nauticurso In brazil to see if they have different parts then american made model
 
First another heads up, I have been working on the front of the boat trim etc and ran into an issue part #109 the longer trim piece on top of the forward roof. The two trim pieces (long and short one) are labeled #108 and #109 which I found together on two laser cut sheets see image. I also found another #109 on a third sheet but those two #109 are much larger and would never fit. So I’m not sure yet where they will go and what part number they really are, but when I do I’ll post it.

IMG_1639.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Okay folks, I think (for me) this was challenging, the roof helm assembly must be (scratch built) what I mean is the instructions are pictures of what part numbers to use and basic assembly. However there are no measurements or even a 1:1 Birds Eye view for location of the roof items. So the starting point for me were the extension tubes from lower console to the upper console. I figured if I got those located correctly I could glue on the roof, and the rest of the parts location should be easier to establish. Here’s where I’m at.

IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_1648.jpeg

IMG_1647.jpeg
 
Slow going but made some progress today, I figured out where to drill the holes for the rails, glued on the rail feet got the rails in place ( not glued yet ) started on the extra rail supports to match the real boat (thanks Herb for the tips), the X in front and the two middle rail side supports.

IMG_1651.jpeg
 
I think I'm going to paint my rails black. From these pictures it does look like they used Black pipe with various connecters to build it. The pictures from the box and instructions show silver, but I don't see silver in any of the pics I've seen. Any advise or opinions welcome.

rails1.jpg

rails2.jpg

IMG_1653.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Historically I don’t know: did they use steel or galvanized steel pipes and paint them black? Being a boat owner I would say that they must have painted them, but I don’t know if they had aluminum or stainless steel at that time. Interesting question.
 
Hey Grex! Your Pilar is looking great. Congrats on your build to-date. I don't think you'd be bad either way regarding the pipe color, but in many of these pictures, the pipes look black/dark to me. Perhaps it's the camera angle. I recall reading somewhere that the Pilar on display in Cuba may not be exactly how it looked during Hemingway's time, if you are shooting for that representation.

The rails look darker to me (almost to a black), as well.

Here are a few pictures that you may already be familiar with. Ignore the arrows on the last picture, as they are pointing out some pole configurations when you get to that point, but some of the pole and rail colors can be viewed, as well.

032a-$(KGrHqJHJBQFG-W-C08lBR3H-vzKmw~~60_12.jpg 051a-6a00e553df6489883401053569b11c970b-800wi.jpg

192a-poles1.jpg​
 
Last edited:
Back
Top