Here’s a question for all of the multiple ship builders

Just because you like to design and build them doesn't justify using them as fireplace wood. o_O You could give away to someone or donate to a club of your choice...It is just the horrible end for those little models. they are born to die! this is not why we are building our models. But I guess we have a completely different opinion of what the model should be when you build it! :eek:
I think he was kidding, guys.

At the rate I build models I hate to be morbid but I doubt I am going to have enough before its not my problem !!!
Hi Spatz. Love the picture of the SS Canberra next to the Harbour Bridge. Being a Sydney sider for many years I used to go down to Circular Quay and see her as often as possible, as well as QE2 when she was in port and the Oriana of course. Cheers Davydd

Hi everyone. Yes it is a real dilemma at times. I took a very long break from model making and have a ridiculous collection of unbuilt kits now and unless something changes in the way of spare time to build, I can't foresee them being finished before I get called away to other realms. I keep seeing kits other people are making, like a Titanic wreck diorama and I can't help but buy another kit and think of ways to best present it. Giving kits away is a great idea for sure but it is hell difficult to part with one after spending so much time on it. I love the idea of giving them to friends so you can go and visit and have a beer with them though. Very appealing. Cheers Davydd
;)

Just because you like to design and build them doesn't justify using them as fireplace wood. o_O You could give away to someone or donate to a club of your choice...It is just the horrible end for those little models. they are born to die! this is not why we are building our models. But I guess we have a completely different opinion of what the model should be when you build it! :eek:

i tried to sell them, give them away, my daughters have no interest in them so there they sit. The Alvin Clark model was given to a museum where it was on display until many of the ship models were either sold off or ended up in a warehouse. That is where the Alivin Clark model ended up.

some models were just a prop to be photographed for build logs, othere were built fast and sloppy just as a proof of concept to make sure everything fit. so they served their purpose.

i tried to sell them, give them away, my daughters have no interest in them so there they sit. The Alvin Clark model was given to a museum where it was on display until many of the ship models were either sold off or ended up in a warehouse. That is where the Alivin Clark model ended up.

some models were just a prop to be photographed for build logs, othere were built fast and sloppy just as a proof of concept to make sure everything fit. so they served their purpose.
There's aways eBay...

The last model I finished, I gave as present to my wife. I said, look what I made for you. 1 year work all for you * * * * *
she happy, something else then flowers and I'm very happy.

I started with a baseline plan from U-Build Plans and modified that plan for mortise and tenon construction since I wasn’t a fan of using dowels. I also modified the door sizes so I could add an astragal in the middle to make a tighter closing cabinet to help mitigate dust. Last, I added three puck lamps in the top for illumination…

View attachment 435369
Thanks for the info.

what happens to the model ship you build i guess depends on you attitude toward any art form.
Every year there is an ice sculpture show and these artists will spend days on carving fantastic pieces that in a few days end up as a puddle of water.
I asked these artists how they feel to see their work ment away. They all had the same answer which is "so what, i do it because i like doing it"
in the backround behind the red car an artist carved a moose you can see its head above the car. the entire town square is full of ice sculputure for only a few days and it is all gone.

View attachment 435500View attachment 435501

so what happens to the model ships i build? i pile them up and when the pile gets to big i break them up and use them to start fires in my wood burning stove..
Why do it do that? well! because i just like designing and building them.

View attachment 435502
What a wild thing, maybe it's better to give these buildings to someone instead of burning them? For example, to the children's ship modeling club, I don't know if you have such in your country or not.

1321037461_15.jpg

Back