Here’s a question for all of the multiple ship builders

The Admiralty's comment was... " you can put them anywhere you like, as long as it's the basement. So I notified my next to the next of kin ( one level past my wife ) cinched up my belt and started moving her stuff to the basement to be with my stuff. AND THEN SHE CAME HOME.
couple of things about this..... I'm still alive, I have a couple of boats upstairs and there's 2 ( two ) people living here !

After you built more then one ship, what do you do with them? Do you have a display room in your home? Do you sell them? My wife is already questioning me on why i’m building my third ship. Once it gets in your blood, stopping is a hard thing to do.
Good question ! I would like to have kept all my models but I don't have much space. So, I kept the three oldest ones and sold the others.
Building model ships is a wonderful addiction, I don't intend to stop.

Yes, a huge problem! Where to put the latest finished build. I tend to be in denial while building a model…do not worry where to put it until I have to face the truth…then I wonder around the house trying to find a spot to display it. A true existential drama!
So familiar!

I built my first model wooden boat in 1973. One of my daughters recently claimed it as she said she help with the build (she was 5 at the time!), so I gave it to her. I had just given up sailing so being retired had lots of time on my hands so I decided to do another Bluenose. During COVID 19 I was basically locked in the house so started building again. What am I doing with my expanding fleet? Well I have 5 grandsons so that is where the fleet is heading. So far the new builds have been 2 Bluenoses, a Pegasus, 2 Bounty's, and a USS Constitution. Why so many Bluenose? Because I am originally from Nova Scotia and that is where the Bluenose II was built. The replica Bounty for the movie was also build in the same shipyard in Lunenburg, NS. So far I have found the kits to be complete and with reasonable instructions - with the exception of Billing's Bounty. It is very low on my "happy" list. Poor instructions, no stern name, on stern lights, and a pathetic figure head. Anyway, that is my "two cents worth" as they say.

Cheers from London Ontario,

I built my first model wooden boat in 1973. One of my daughters recently claimed it as she said she help with the build (she was 5 at the time!), so I gave it to her. I had just given up sailing so being retired had lots of time on my hands so I decided to do another Bluenose. During COVID 19 I was basically locked in the house so started building again. What am I doing with my expanding fleet? Well I have 5 grandsons so that is where the fleet is heading. So far the new builds have been 2 Bluenoses, a Pegasus, 2 Bounty's, and a USS Constitution. Why so many Bluenose? Because I am originally from Nova Scotia and that is where the Bluenose II was built. The replica Bounty for the movie was also build in the same shipyard in Lunenburg, NS. So far I have found the kits to be complete and with reasonable instructions - with the exception of Billing's Bounty. It is very low on my "happy" list. Poor instructions, no stern name, on stern lights, and a pathetic figure head. Anyway, that is my "two cents worth" as they say.

Cheers from London Ontario,
Bill
Bill, I am in full agreement with your opinion of Billings Bounty, it is in fact a model of her in previous life as the collier 'Bethia'. I did a lot of mods following 'The Anatomy of Bounty.'- I've put mine aside having completed the hull. I've decided to sell off4 kits & build Caldercraft's Victory as a final model, then keep it on my desk (the only place suitable), no room then to build more, hoping, that is, I complete her! ;)

Good question ! I would like to have kept all my models but I don't have much space. So, I kept the three oldest ones and sold the others.
Building model ships is a wonderful addiction, I don't intend to stop.
You are right Luiz! It is an addiction. One that seems to take hold quickly. I am building my first and I am already thinking about the next ones!

I sell mine for almost nothing . Its the enjoyment of building them that matters to me.
Hi Bryian,
I have some models with no space to display. I would like to sell them, not looking for a great price just a good home.
Can you share with us how you sell them in Aus? eBay or gumtree or other, how do you transport them or pickup only?

My wife told me long ago that I’m free to build as many as I want but that she would not be dusting them for fear of damaging them. So some have gone to new homes and others have been placed in a display cabinet I built. I figure it will hold about 6 completed models if I live that long…
View attachment 435278
I like this book case. It’s deep enough to fit most of my “dream” builds!

what happens to the model ship you build i guess depends on you attitude toward any art form.
Every year there is an ice sculpture show and these artists will spend days on carving fantastic pieces that in a few days end up as a puddle of water.
I asked these artists how they feel to see their work ment away. They all had the same answer which is "so what, i do it because i like doing it"
in the backround behind the red car an artist carved a moose you can see its head above the car. the entire town square is full of ice sculputure for only a few days and it is all gone.

DSCN5273.JPGDSCN5280.JPG

so what happens to the model ships i build? i pile them up and when the pile gets to big i break them up and use them to start fires in my wood burning stove..
Why do it do that? well! because i just like designing and building them.

DSCN6895.jpg

my 6 ships sit on shelves, on top of the china cabnet, on a shelf in my basement... but my newest is going to get a case... at leat thats the plan... but where will it go?

Hi Bryian,
I have some models with no space to display. I would like to sell them, not looking for a great price just a good home.
Can you share with us how you sell them in Aus? eBay or gumtree or other, how do you transport them or pickup only?
I put them on EBay with local pickup only. You cannot freight a ship model with masts and rigging.

what happens to the model ship you build i guess depends on you attitude toward any art form.
Every year there is an ice sculpture show and these artists will spend days on carving fantastic pieces that in a few days end up as a puddle of water.
I asked these artists how they feel to see their work ment away. They all had the same answer which is "so what, i do it because i like doing it"
in the backround behind the red car an artist carved a moose you can see its head above the car. the entire town square is full of ice sculputure for only a few days and it is all gone.

View attachment 435500View attachment 435501

so what happens to the model ships i build? i pile them up and when the pile gets to big i break them up and use them to start fires in my wood burning stove..

View attachment 435502
:eek:

Just because you like to design and build them doesn't justify using them as fireplace wood. o_O You could give away to someone or donate to a club of your choice...It is just the horrible end for those little models. they are born to die! this is not why we are building our models. But I guess we have a completely different opinion of what the model should be when you build it! :eek:

Back