Here’s a question for all of the multiple ship builders

My wife told me long ago that I’m free to build as many as I want but that she would not be dusting them for fear of damaging them. So some have gone to new homes and others have been placed in a display cabinet I built. I figure it will hold about 6 completed models if I live that long…
View attachment 435278
Nice. Oliver do you have any print or sketch for that display cabinet? that's what I need for my ships, buying a cabinet like that is a lot of money,I rather prefer to build it,any way is beautiful.

After you built more then one ship, what do you do with them? Do you have a display room in your home? Do you sell them? My wife is already questioning me on why i’m building my third ship. Once it gets in your blood, stopping is a hard thing to do.
I built my first model wooden boat in 1973. One of my daughters recently claimed it as she said she help with the build (she was 5 at the time!), so I gave it to her. I had just given up sailing so being retired had lots of time on my hands so I decided to do another Bluenose. During COVID 19 I was basically locked in the house so started building again. What am I doing with my expanding fleet? Well I have 5 grandsons so that is where the fleet is heading. So far the new builds have been 2 Bluenoses, a Pegasus, 2 Bounty's, and a USS Constitution. Why so many Bluenose? Because I am originally from Nova Scotia and that is where the Bluenose II was built. The replica Bounty for the movie was also build in the same shipyard in Lunenburg, NS. So far I have found the kits to be complete and with reasonable instructions - with the exception of Billing's Bounty. It is very low on my "happy" list. Poor instructions, no stern name, on stern lights, and a pathetic figure head. Anyway, that is my "two cents worth" as they say.

Cheers from London Ontario,
Bill

Over the past 65 years I have given all but 4 ships away. I believe I might have given at least 25 to anyone one who wanted one. My x-wife upset me so bad I gave 4 square rigged ships to kids in the neighborhood and let them push them around in their yard, I found out she was going to sell them.

I am building models and doing hand work to avoid RX for RA (blessed); then donate the finished projects to my hospice patients, to bless another, or I gift if I know the particular model is meaningful to someone. (just mailed the Model Shipways dory to a childhood, best friend, a niece of "Dynamite" Payson, known for the Payson dory. Dyanamite lived only a few doors down from where I grew up.

Growing up got to visit Dynamite's workshop frequently; now wish I had paid more attention. Another gift for Lobster Buoy campsite (family friends) 4 doors down the road from where I grew up. Dad used to build Monhegan skiffs for the campsite, so I plan to send the family one of my finished skiff models.

The models/kits are less expensive than the RX with something to show for it!

Blessings,
Kayak Girl

After you built more then one ship, what do you do with them? Do you have a display room in your home? Do you sell them? My wife is already questioning me on why i’m building my third ship. Once it gets in your blood, stopping is a hard thing to do.
Consider selling them at a consignment shop. At least you may recover the cost of materials. We will never recoup the time spent building, but as other said it’s the joy and challenge of building.

I donate mine to a small, local museum. The models are valued by a qualified appraiser and the museum gives me a receipt for the value of the gift. Not sure how it works in other countries, but I can claim the amount at tax time.
Phil (Canada)

I display it at home for a while, then I give it away to a family member that seems to show interest in it. That makes room for whatever my next project will be.

I give mine to friends, but only if they want to display them. I currently have six on display shelves in my den and living room with the stipulation that I have to keep them dusted. Not a bad deal. I like the idea of asking the Legion in your area or even some pubs might love to display them. That way you will have the satisfaction that they may be admired from time to time.

The Admiralty's comment was... " you can put them anywhere you like, as long as it's the basement. So I notified my next to the next of kin ( one level past my wife ) cinched up my belt and started moving her stuff to the basement to be with my stuff. AND THEN SHE CAME HOME.
couple of things about this..... I'm still alive, I have a couple of boats upstairs and there's 2 ( two ) people living here !

I'm lucky enough to have a library and I display them in there. It also serves as my office/mancave. I have 6 large ship models and 11 small/medium ones. Wherever there is a bare shelf is where they go. My wife is understanding of my collecting, just as I am with all of hers.

Nice. Oliver do you have any print or sketch for that display cabinet? that's what I need for my ships, buying a cabinet like that is a lot of money,I rather prefer to build it,any way is beautiful.

I started with a baseline plan from U-Build Plans and modified that plan for mortise and tenon construction since I wasn’t a fan of using dowels. I also modified the door sizes so I could add an astragal in the middle to make a tighter closing cabinet to help mitigate dust. Last, I added three puck lamps in the top for illumination…

IMG_8403.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe building too fast? Do you need the next level of technical difficulty? Maybe smaller scale - as I do. Then problem not occur. If large scale you need museum or sell or turn a room into a display area. Most I know, have a room which they make / display. Rotation occurs in house. If a prolific builder then give away to family etc… one of my models took 3 years to make but I was working at the same time.

Back