Hi from Pennsylvania

Hi to all the members here. Am just getting back into the building since a lonnnnng hiatus. I am retired now so have lots of time.
Like others, I am in love with the larger historical ships and am trying to decide on which one.

I realize that you should start "easy" but I have built a couple a very long time ago (HMS Bounty) and do have some woodworking skills so hopefully I wont bite off more than I can chew.

Have my eyes on the San Felipe, Le Soleil, & The Pearl (Granddaughters favorite). But to be honest the plank on frame scares me a bit and do not want to get frustrated and quit.
But those ships are just too stunning to pass up...we will see.

Bud-J
Welcome aboard.
Those are very challenging kits specially the San Felipe.
I have on my model closet the Mantua Le Solei Royal and I’am building confidence to get to build it.
But you shouldn’t have any problems, plus there is a build log here with that model so you could use it for reference.
Well be looking forward on your first build with us.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Do not be scared by POF and the framing work - yes, it is a new method of working, but it is making a lot of fun - and you have to have fun with your build, working over months, you have to like (and more) the ship

I recently built the San Felipe from Panart #747. You can look at the Build log here

This kit has a huge amount of laser cut parts, however, I added more features to mine such as 'treenailing" the hull which is not necessary. Actually, it was very time-consuming and did not turn out accurate.

Also, you might want to look into this vendor ZHL Model Kits. They have the San Felipe of which I have heard is a better kit than the Panart.

If you do get the Panart, at least you have a Build Log like mine to help you step by step on how to build her.

you can also PM me @Donnie

Others had mentioned a Plank on Frame. This is where you build the individual FRAMES like a real ship. This is a little challenging BUT, a good Plank on Frame Kit helps you through the process.

I recently built the San Felipe from Panart #747. You can look at the Build log here

This kit has a huge amount of laser cut parts, however, I added more features to mine such as 'treenailing" the hull which is not necessary. Actually, it was very time-consuming and did not turn out accurate.

Also, you might want to look into this vendor ZHL Model Kits. They have the San Felipe of which I have heard is a better kit than the Panart.

If you do get the Panart, at least you have a Build Log like mine to help you step by step on how to build her.

you can also PM me @Donnie

Others had mentioned a Plank on Frame. This is where you build the individual FRAMES like a real ship. This is a little challenging BUT, a good Plank on Frame Kit helps you through the process.

Thanks Donnie/
Now I know where to look for whenever I get to build her. She will be a BIG MAMA.
I love it when I want to build something and I find someone else that has done before. This way we the inexperts, can build with confidence.

Hi to all the members here. Am just getting back into the building since a lonnnnng hiatus. I am retired now so have lots of time.
Like others, I am in love with the larger historical ships and am trying to decide on which one.

I realize that you should start "easy" but I have built a couple a very long time ago (HMS Bounty) and do have some woodworking skills so hopefully I wont bite off more than I can chew.

Have my eyes on the San Felipe, Le Soleil, & The Pearl (Granddaughters favorite). But to be honest the plank on frame scares me a bit and do not want to get frustrated and quit.
But those ships are just too stunning to pass up...we will see.
Hallo @Bud-J
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Welcome aboard friend.
Yes, just be cautious about how big you want to go.
But you have some experience already and also have wood skills, so if you ask me, my choice from all of the big models is the San Felipe.
It is a very majestic looking model, one you would be proud to show.
EE7EC5AD-E501-4ACD-804E-6C326A73C016.jpeg

Back