HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50

Knap staaltje beplanken met eiken Heinrich, de romp is prachtig en mooi symmetrisch geworden, een voorbeeld voor velen !!

Knap staaltje beplanken met eiken Heinrich, de romp is prachtig en mooi symmetrisch geworden, een voorbeeld voor velen !!
Piet says: Very good planking with oak Heinrich, the hull has become beautiful and beautifully symmetrical, an example for many !!

Bedankt vir de mooi woorden, Piet.

Er zijn een paar kleine plaatsen die nog moeten worden bijgewerkt. Na het tweede schuren met 360 korrel schuurpapier krijgt het nog een laag schellak gevolgd door een laatste schuursessie met korrel schuurpapier. Dan is het wat het is.

There are a few small places that still need to be touched up. After the second sanding with 360 grit sandpaper it will get another coat of shellac followed by a last sanding session with 1000 grit sandpaper. then it is what it is.

After looking at this (and other) planking jobs I am definitely not going to post any of my planking efforts. Only after severely photoshopping I might be willing to post.
Beautiful job!
Thank you, Johan. Having looked at how you finished the framework on Bluenose, I do not think you will have any problems in planking Bluenose! Thumbsup

Heinrich, good afternoon. Congratulations on completing this important milestone in model building. oak looks great. It seems to me that in this place it is worth sharpening the keel a little.View attachment 323045
Thank you, Sasha. I really appreciate the kind words. I agree with you on the keel and have already done that. Thumbsup

微信图片_20220812094943.jpg
Just bear in mind that on the Willem Barentsz the garboard strake and the strake immediately following it, run all the way through to the end of the keel. The "foot" of the keel is thus supposed to be wider at the bottom or foot of the keel than the rest of it.

She's a real beauty Heinrich! All that sanding, time spent painstakingly planking the hull, has paid off. Am looking forward to the final 1000 grit sanding and finish coatings.
Thank you very much my friend for the kind words and the support - it is sincerely appreciated. I will share another secret with you. After I had planked WB #1, I said to myself that I could never plank as accurately as that ever again. Well, I think this one is better. Apart from 2 inserts (one on either side) and 5 lost strakes (I have no idea how it ended up being an unequal number but there were 3 on the Starboard side and 2 on the Port Side), the other 59 planks were all full-length and one-piece.

I am also pleased with the symmetry and hull shape - it conforms to Ab's/Kolderstok's plans to a T.

Back